It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2004, 01:17 PM   #1

toomanyouchies HB User
Stubborn Plantar's Warts?

I was wondering if there is any herbal way to treat Plantar's Warts? I've tried the duct tape for half a year and it didn't do much. I've used wart removal pads and creams but to no avail. I'm not too keen on having my foot operated on to remove this wart. It's on the ball of my foot, and is alittle irritating. Does anyone know any good home remedies or anything to treat it?
Thanks a bunch!

TooManyOuchies

Old 08-24-2004, 10:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Stubborn Plantar's Warts?

You could try going to the doctor. It doesn't necessarily mean getting your foot operated on. I have two friends on my feet (I've had one of them for 5 years now!). I have tried lots of stuff and they shrink, but then I slack off and they come back. I didn't have any luck with the duct tape. The best over the counter one that I found is if you get the acid in the bottle with the brush to put it on, rather than on the pads. I went to the doctor for one treatment but then left the state so I haven't been back. The options that doctors have are to freeze it (have you tried the over the counter freezing stuff yet? I'm too scared, plus it's expensive), put on a strong acid, or cut it out. Cutting it out is the last resort treatment, after they have tried everything else. My doctor did the acid thing. I laid down on my stomach and she took a scalpel blade to shave off all of the dead tissue around the wart (this doesn't hurt at all because it's just dead stuff). Then she put on the acid, which is stronger than what you can buy. That hurt a bit for the next hour or so, but not unbearably. The reason that this is better than what you can do at home is the doctor gets rid of all the dead skin on top so the acid can actually kill the wart, not just sit on top of dead tissue; also the acid is stronger. This doesn't get rid of it all at once, because these warts are like icebergs-- the part you see is just the tip. So she said that I would go in every 6? weeks to get repeat treatments until they were gone.

As for alternative treatments, you could try vitamin A. Get it in liquid form and put it on the wart. My uncle said that that worked really well for him, but it didn't do anything for me.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 01:18 AM   #3

toomanyouchies HB User

Thanks for you're reply! I've tried vitamin a and e as well, it didn't do much to my warts either. I will consider going to the doctor, and thanks a bunch!

TooManyOuchies

Old 08-25-2004, 10:30 AM   #4
(female)

KarynLR HB User

My little brother just saw my dermatologist to get some warts treated after much home treatment didn't work. My next visit and his next visit coincide, so I'll probably know more after I'm at that visit, but I think that on Monday, they just used the freezing liquid (liquid nitrogen? It seems like it'd be the same stuff he sprays at my acne visits) to clear the virus that keeps the warts coming back. After a couple days, Michael is supposed to use Tinamed, with 17% salicylic acid, and duct tape cut to fit over the warts. The Tinamed is the liquid with a brush thing, but anything with 17% SA should be good.

The OTC freezing stuff (Wartner) does the same thing the doctor's spray does, but according to my derm, it's not cold enough to kill the virus, so you would probaby save money by not getting it. (My mom bought the stuff for $20, and it didn't work.)

--Karyn

Old 08-25-2004, 02:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

My problem with the duct tape is that it never stays on. It either slides around or it ends up stuck to my sock or something. Maybe it's just because I live in Arizona and my feet sweat too much!

Old 08-25-2004, 03:12 PM   #6
(female)

KarynLR HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehorner
My problem with the duct tape is that it never stays on. It either slides around or it ends up stuck to my sock or something. Maybe it's just because I live in Arizona and my feet sweat too much!
My derm told my brother to cut a little piece of duct tape out that just covers the wart; then cover the duct tape with a band aid. Do you think that would help?

Old 08-31-2004, 12:22 PM   #7

KaylasMommyJenn HB User

Hello...
I too, had plantars warts...a bunch of them all in one spot. I hassled with all the OTC stuff that did not work.

I went to my Podiatrist...and within 3 sessions (he scraped and put acid on them) they were gone! This was over a year ago, and they have not been back!

Closed Thread