It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2004, 07:03 PM   #1

Patsy Hoff HB User
Metarsal Phalangeal joint replacement question

Hi,

What I am looking for is someone who has had a procedure done on their foot because of an arthritic joint where there is bone on bone. It is called a metatarsal phalangeal joint replacement for hallus limitus or valgus. I would like to know what the outcome of their surgery was . Any pain afterwards? Is there any pain when walking or otherwise? Any nerve pain? Has anyone had a titanium implants as opposed to the metal or plastic? Has anyone had a fluid injected into the toe (foot) with any positive results?

Thanks.

Old 11-03-2004, 09:22 AM   #2

Patsy Hoff HB User
Re: Metarsal Phalangeal joint replacement question

So no one has done this procedure?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2004, 10:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

Patsy,

I am not sure if they are still around, but there have been others who have had implants at the MPJ, I am not one of them, I have a fusion.

I can tell you that some of them were successful up front, I am not sure of their long-term success. There are other who have had failures and ended up with a fusion. I have also read that titanium is the way to go, stay away from the silicon implants, they can cause pitting of the bones.

I believe the decision needs to be based on several things, your age and activity level and what you personally want gain. Like I said, I have a fusion and have been pleased with it's success.

As far as fluid being injected, need more info. What type fluid are we talking about? What is it purpose?

Good luck. -eko

Old 11-04-2004, 08:55 PM   #4

jdm HB User

Patsy,
I am had a titanium implant done. That was my second surgery. The first surgery( the year before) was to try to save the joint but did not work. I had the implant for 3 years. I knew shortly after the surgery that I was not getting range of motion, however, the pain was tolerable so I dealt with it.

When the pain finally got to a point when I couldn't take it anymore, I saw another doctor. he doctor who did my first two surgeries was a podiatrist. The new doc was an ortho surgeon who specializes in feet and ankles. I had a fusion done this past Feb. However, because of the previous surgeries, I also had to have a bone graft from my hip.

My ortho doc told me that podiatrists are more willing to do implants than O.S. My implant was titanim and that is the only way that I would go. If I can answer any other questions, please feel free to ask.

JDM

Old 11-15-2004, 10:17 AM   #5

ekgoal HB User

I would seek a second opinion.

Joint implants fail - the majority within 5 years. That will then require a second surgery. If the joint is destroyed enough that it requires a replacement, then you should have a fusion. Once healed, you can get back to full activity - hiking, running, etc.

An educated question to ask your first opinion would be what is the rate of failure.. Have him/her produce some information for you. You will see that the rate of failure of implants is extremely too high. Maybe then that surgeon would also learn that implants are not a very good option.

Old 11-15-2004, 12:18 PM   #6

majorlease HB User

Patsy,
I think that based on my personal extensive research I would rule out the joint replacement. I had "Keller" procedures on both feet with great success. It was done by a Podiatrist following 2 earlier unsuccessful surgeries. I can run as far as I want, do yoga and other athletic activities without pain or other significant problems. I can move the toes freely without any pain and the range of motion is normal.

The vanity issue aside (my big toes are now shorter) there is no reason to take a chance on an unproven technique.

Closed Thread