It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2004, 07:24 AM   #1

cgboatdriver HB User
Coastie with a bunion

Hello everybody. I am in the Coast Guard and my whole livelyhood pretty much depends on my ability to drive boats in search and rescue and law enforcement situations. I have had a bunion on both feet since I was about nine (thanks mom for those wonderfull Hungarian genes) and just over the past year the pain in my right foot has gotten to be very bad. From seeing pictures and reading some of these boards, I know that I will need to get some sort of surgery. I am seeing a podiatrist on Monday (it's thursday 04 nov 04 now), and was wondering what the average time from first consultation to surgery is. If I have the surgery in mid January, is it realistic to look forward to being back in work boots and driving boats in April or May? I have so many questions and concerns about this. Oh ya, did I mention that I am having my first child in mid December? The timing is so bad yet so good. I am stationed on Lake Erie, so the winter time is very slow because the lake freezes over. This is actually the perfect time to get a surgery done that will knock me out for a long time. It will kill my wife though! I hope sombody out there reads this and can give me some insight or advise.

I look forward to buddying up with sombody out there. Untill then, take care and Semper Paratus (Always Ready).

Old 11-04-2004, 09:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
Re: Coastie with a bunion

Congrats on having your first child, how exciting.

Anyway in regards to your bunion surgery, I would expect if you had it done in January and all goes well, you would be ready to go back by April or May. When you see your podiatrist ask him all your questions. Be sure to egt exactly what procedure he would do, that will make a difference.

Good Luck! -eko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2004, 10:44 AM   #3

cgboatdriver HB User

Thanks for the congrats.

With the amount of time that I spend in combat boots (about six months out of the year with my 48 on and off schedule) I don't think that I would want to go through the pain for another year. It is to the point where it hurts when I walk even in my bare feet. I know that the toe is drifting and deformed. I think even before I see a pod that I will "need" the surgery. Better to get it done young than to wait. I am now 27. What do you think eko? Also, what does everybody think? Pod or OS. I am with tricare so I don't think I have much choice.

Talk to ya soon.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

I personally prefer a podiatrist, especially one who is Board Certified and is a member of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons (you can see who is in your area on their website). Not to say that there aren't any OS out there that are qualified, but there are that many who specialize in feet and ankles. Be sure to find someone who has done a lot of successful bunion procedures.

You should not have to live with the pain, I'd probably get it over with. A bunionectomy is not a pleasant experience to go through, but a successful one is worth it.

See the podiatrist and see what he has to say. Let us know what you learn. Good Luck!

Closed Thread