It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2004, 06:57 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User
Orthotics

Ok everyone I'm back.LOL
I'm still dealing with foot problems, if any of you remember? My Doctor has now made me orthotics and they have been returned twice so far and need to go back again for adjustments.We are trying the orthotics while we wait for my disability to start up again.(April) So that I can hopefully get my foot fixed for good this time.I don't see how I'm going to wait that long, but anyway how many of you guys have had sucess with orthotics.So far I think they stink.LOL
Thanks,

Sue

Old 11-08-2004, 07:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User
Re: Orthotics

I have custom orthotics and they have been a godsend for me. I have a heel spur and I was in misery. I am on my feet all day at work. There are different kinds of orthotics. I have what they call rigid orthotics. They are hard. You would think that would defeat the purpose, but what they do is give me arch support, thus taking weight off the heal. They were hard to get used to because they made my arches hurt. It took me about 6 months before I could wear them 100% of the time. Now I don't even know they are there. The pain is virtually gone. The only time I feel it is when I first get up in the morning and that goes away after being on feet for a few minutes.

How did your doctor go about making a impression of your feet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2004, 01:23 PM   #3

annarbor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieblueyes
Ok everyone I'm back.LOL
I'm still dealing with foot problems, if any of you remember? My Doctor has now made me orthotics and they have been returned twice so far and need to go back again for adjustments.We are trying the orthotics while we wait for my disability to start up again.(April) So that I can hopefully get my foot fixed for good this time.I don't see how I'm going to wait that long, but anyway how many of you guys have had sucess with orthotics.So far I think they stink.LOL
Thanks,

Sue
Sue----I am curious what the status is of your hammertoe problem the bulge at the bottom of your toe-----has that ever gone away. That is what I'm dealing with and hope it's temporary ---I had my surgery was 5 weeks ago.

Old 11-08-2004, 05:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick7799
I have custom orthotics and they have been a godsend for me. I have a heel spur and I was in misery. I am on my feet all day at work. There are different kinds of orthotics. I have what they call rigid orthotics. They are hard. You would think that would defeat the purpose, but what they do is give me arch support, thus taking weight off the heal. They were hard to get used to because they made my arches hurt. It took me about 6 months before I could wear them 100% of the time. Now I don't even know they are there. The pain is virtually gone. The only time I feel it is when I first get up in the morning and that goes away after being on feet for a few minutes.

How did your doctor go about making a impression of your feet?
HI, Thank you for the info.Well the Doctor put my feet into this soft spongy type stuff for an impression, then sent that away for the orthotics. I don't know what type of orthotics they are but they kill my feet. As you said you would think that something hard would be worse well it is. My first Doctor cut a tendon in my foot during bunion surgery so now my sesamoid bone is pounding on the floor when I walk. I have no padding on the ball of my foot. After working on my feet all day it looks like I have a golf ball on the bottom of my foot. The only thing that makes it feel better is the cushion from my slippers.I dont think a hard orthotic is right for me
Sue

Old 11-08-2004, 05:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by annarbor
Sue----I am curious what the status is of your hammertoe problem the bulge at the bottom of your toe-----has that ever gone away. That is what I'm dealing with and hope it's temporary ---I had my surgery was 5 weeks ago.
Hi there,
I still have a lump at the base of my toe. My Doctor says it is scar tissue.It looks weird though and my surgery was in June.I don't know if it will ever go away.

Sue

Old 11-08-2004, 08:29 PM   #6

crutches HB User

Susieblueyes, I'm curious about your post that your dr cut a tendon during bunion surgery and your sesamoid is now pounding the floor. I had bunion surgery 18 months ago and my big toe sticks up off the floor and won't bend down. I feel like I'm walking on a golf ball. Been for a 2nd opinion and no one seems to be able to tell me what's wrong. The 2nd dr said he "thinks" it's scar tissue but I don't think so. I feel a tightness on the top of my foot straight up from the big toe. Your symptons sound similar. Are they sure you have a cut tendon and is there anything that can be done about it? This sounds very much like what I have. No pain with it, just very annoying.
Thanks..

Old 11-09-2004, 10:08 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutches
Susieblueyes, I'm curious about your post that your dr cut a tendon during bunion surgery and your sesamoid is now pounding the floor. I had bunion surgery 18 months ago and my big toe sticks up off the floor and won't bend down. I feel like I'm walking on a golf ball. Been for a 2nd opinion and no one seems to be able to tell me what's wrong. The 2nd dr said he "thinks" it's scar tissue but I don't think so. I feel a tightness on the top of my foot straight up from the big toe. Your symptons sound similar. Are they sure you have a cut tendon and is there anything that can be done about it? This sounds very much like what I have. No pain with it, just very annoying.
Thanks..
Hi,
My toe also sticks up off the floor.I have been to a Neurologist(sp) for testing and also had an MRI.I have seen one of the best podiatrist in my area and this is what they came up with. I was suppose to have surgery last July 1st to repair this but I had had surgery on my other foot in June and developed a severe infection with included strep and cellulitus. So I was out of work for 4 months and right before that ordeal my Doctor tried to fix the messed up foot with the cut tendon but it did not work.So needless to say I have been through H-LL with my feet and my disability has run out and since I'm still having pain in my what was infected foot we are going to wait to do anymore surgery. I guess I'll have to suffer until then.But what the 2 doctors had agreed on was possibly transfering a tendon, fusing the toe and removing the sesamoid bone. Sounds like fun huh? But my podiatrist wants to send me for a third opinion to be sure that this is right procedure.Your foot does sound like scar tissue if you have no pain and you feel a pulling.
Hope this helps,

Sue

Old 11-09-2004, 11:05 AM   #8

crutches HB User

Thanks Sue for your reply. I've also been for numerous ultrasounds and xrays and nothing shows up. Just can't bend the toe down. I'm not sure if I want to do anything about it because no one seems to be able to tell me for sure what the problem is. Also I have no pain so am afraid if I mess with it too much I'll end up with a sore foot. Right now it's just uncomfortable to walk bare foot and it looks stupid. Also, as you know, with foot surgery you end up off work for at least 6 weeks which is another problem. Sorry about your problems. Sounds like you've really been through alot. Now that I think about it I'm sure a severed tendon would have shown on an ultrasound.

Closed Thread