It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2004, 12:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User
Need advice on big toe fusion

I happened to find this site while doing some research on having my big toe joint fused. I was wondering if anyone had any GOOD advice on this matter. I have already had 3 surgeries to my left foot and have had both sesamiods removed as a result of the intinal injury that began this ordeal. My foot hurts most of the time and I know that surgery is problebly my last option, you would think that after having 3 under my belt on this foot that I would not be nervous...........I am actually more nervous. My "good" foot is now paying the price of bearing so much weight as I now suffer from plantar fascia & a heel spur...but I am living with that, the shots help me alot. My Dr. has actually been informative but it is always better to hear what the patients have to say!
Any advice and comments will be very welcome!!!! Thank-you!

Old 11-09-2004, 03:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
Re: Need advice on big toe fusion

Welcome to operation great toe fusion. I had my great toe fused March 2004 and even though I did not like the thought, it happened to be a good thing in the end.

The key is a good doctor. A podiatrist did mine and he got the angle right and best of all he was able to do it without plates and screws with two temporary pins. I am back to doing all of usual activities, my only restriction is heel height (I am female). I would be happy to answer any questions you have. Every patient is different and I don't know if you are going to require a bone graft or not, you did not say, but I am thinking not.

Be careful of the shots for plantar fascitis, they can actually weaken the tendon and contribute to a rupture. I have PF in my other foot and it has been successfully treated with orthotics.

Again, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.
Best Wishes - eko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2004, 05:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Eko...
Thank you.........My podiatrist never mentioned a bone graph but did say he will be using 2 permanent screws. I have been going to him for a year now but another Dr. did my other surgeries so I am a bit anxious. Do you get use to the toe not moving right away? Does the pain really go away? I have hurt for so long doing everyday activities that I do not believe it could ever be normal again. How long did you surgery take? And your recovery? I have a million questions, it is so good to be able to speak with someone who knows what this is like! thank you again!!!!!
Dlh

Old 11-10-2004, 12:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

The actual surgery probably took about an hour. My surgery was scheduled for 9:15 and my husband and I were cruising thru McD's before noon. I was allowed to partially bear weight, but walked like a duck to ensure that I did not bend the toe when walking. My pins were in for six weeks, and I was then allowed to wear tennis shoes. After 12 weeks I was totally released.

It did take me some time to get use to walking on it because of swelling and it was tender. Most of the time now (8 months later) I don't even pay attention to it. I do have the ability to go up on my toes to reach the top shelves in the kitchen, the only thing that does slow me down is going down stairs, but I live in a ranch style home and don't get a lot of practice.

If you have more questions, please let me know. -eko

Old 11-10-2004, 02:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh
I happened to find this site while doing some research on having my big toe joint fused. I was wondering if anyone had any GOOD advice on this matter. I have already had 3 surgeries to my left foot and have had both sesamiods removed as a result of the intinal injury that began this ordeal. My foot hurts most of the time and I know that surgery is problebly my last option, you would think that after having 3 under my belt on this foot that I would not be nervous...........I am actually more nervous. My "good" foot is now paying the price of bearing so much weight as I now suffer from plantar fascia & a heel spur...but I am living with that, the shots help me alot. My Dr. has actually been informative but it is always better to hear what the patients have to say!
Any advice and comments will be very welcome!!!! Thank-you!
HI,
Im curious about the removal of your sesamoid bone.I have also had many surgeries on my feet and the next step may possablybe to fuse the toe and removed the sesamoid. What was it like and how are you doing now?
Thanks,

Sue

Old 11-10-2004, 06:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

I did well without the first sesamoid for about 3 years. I had broken it and walked with it that way for a year before I found a DR that siad he could take it out. I began having alot of pain after the 3 years and ended up having the second sesamiod removed in the same foot. I never got better from that one but it was the surgon...he left bone in my foot which I had to have removed. That was 2 years ago. I have had very bad weeks and weeks that aren't so bad but now I face living in pain or having the joint fused. The joint is rubbing now, my foot stays swollen and I am having alot of pain in the tendon. This is all the result of not having those sesamiods to support my toe. I have about 70% range of motion, I can bend the toe up but not down.
I really wish I had them fuse the joint then, I did not know it was an option or I would have. If you do have your sesamiod removed ask alot of questions and find out if it will benifit you to have it fused then and if you dont will you have to have it done in the future. Why are they taking it out?
The recovery wasn't bas really, the usual crutches and PT...that was the worst but it helped alot for the 1st surgery. Did I answer your question?
Good luck...let me know how you do!
dlh

Old 11-14-2004, 05:45 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh
I did well without the first sesamoid for about 3 years. I had broken it and walked with it that way for a year before I found a DR that siad he could take it out. I began having alot of pain after the 3 years and ended up having the second sesamiod removed in the same foot. I never got better from that one but it was the surgon...he left bone in my foot which I had to have removed. That was 2 years ago. I have had very bad weeks and weeks that aren't so bad but now I face living in pain or having the joint fused. The joint is rubbing now, my foot stays swollen and I am having alot of pain in the tendon. This is all the result of not having those sesamiods to support my toe. I have about 70% range of motion, I can bend the toe up but not down.
I really wish I had them fuse the joint then, I did not know it was an option or I would have. If you do have your sesamiod removed ask alot of questions and find out if it will benifit you to have it fused then and if you dont will you have to have it done in the future. Why are they taking it out?
The recovery wasn't bas really, the usual crutches and PT...that was the worst but it helped alot for the 1st surgery. Did I answer your question?
Good luck...let me know how you do!
dlh
Hi, Well I'm not really sure why he wants to remove it.I dont know if it is because it might be damaged from the stress of beating on the floor with no padding?I'm tellin you, I really don't see how I can wait until April
Thank you,
Sue

Old 11-15-2004, 08:39 PM   #8

jdm HB User

I had a fusion in Feb. 04. It was my 3rd surgery. The first was to repair the joint. The 2nd a year later was to replace the joint with a titanimum implant. The most recent was to remove the joint and fuse it. I had a bone graft from my hip due to the other two surgeries. During each of my prior surgeries the bone was shaved; therefore, I had to have a graft to give my toe more length.

I have a permanent plate a three screws. However, I have been told that about 40% of people have the hardware removed. I haven't made up my mind yet, but I think I will probably have the hardware removed.

As far as my recovery, I was non weight bearing for 4 - 5 weeks. Part of that was due to the bone graft. Eko's recovery was slightly diffferent as she did not have the bone graft. I was in a cast for those 8 weeks, then I went into a CAM walker. Basically it is a removavble cast. I stated physical therapy in June and did that for about 8 weeks. I wish I could say that I am 100% pain free. I am not, but I feel 100% better than were I was before surgery.

If there are any toher questions that I can answer, let me know.

JDM

Old 11-21-2004, 04:47 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

I guess my only other question would be do you have any regrets? I cannot believe how many people have had multiple surgeries on thier feet...I am so glad I found this board, it has been so helpful to read everyone's stories & advice. I am going to go ahead and schedule my surgery this week...might as well do it now and get it over with as it is the only option I have left.
Also just curious to see if you were awake during it and how long it took...I have had 13 surgeries, 3 on the foot and just so darn anxious to do it again...
thanks again
dlh

Old 11-21-2004, 05:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

I do not have any reqrets with my fusion besides being in a position that needed it to begin with. To be honest, the mechanics of my foot when walking are so much better than before. I chose to have a local w/ IV sedation for my fusion, that was my choice since I did not really want to hear the sounds of the tools cutting the bone, I just didn't think I could mentally take it, so I chose a nice short nap, that is what it felt like. The procedure probably took about an hour. I wish you all the best. -eko

Closed Thread