It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2004, 07:23 PM   #1

LyndaVuu HB User
bunion Surgery Recovery Time

Hi I was just wondering if anyone can tell me how long it took them to heal from their Bunion surgery? I was also wondering how long it took to be able to walk because I'm planning to have my surgery in a month but also want to take some winter classes which will begin in about 10 days after surgery and i was wondering if anyone thinks that this is possible.

Thank You
Linda Vuu

Old 11-15-2004, 01:58 PM   #2

verylongday HB User
Re: bunion Surgery Recovery Time

There are several different procedures and evry doc also has their own opinion, so you need to go by what the doc says. I had mine done the 2nd of this month, and was told NO driving for 2 weeks. I am in the orthapedic shoe for 4-6 weeks from date of surgery as well. I will tell you I do as little walking as possible and I cant stress enough that you NEED to keepit elevated because while I dont have much "pain" at this point the swelling is VERY VERY uncomfortable.

On the upside, a coworker had her's done on Sept 10 (different doctor than me). She was told it was ok to drive in 10 days, and she came out of the shoe in 4 weeks (which is what I hope for as well). However, she still walked as little as possible for the first month. It takes much longer to try to get around when you can only walk on the outside or heel of your foot and the swelling is a pain.

Hope it all goes well for you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2004, 11:38 PM   #3
(female)

rileyroe HB User

At the very least you need to spend 4 weeks off of your feet. I had my surgery (double bunionectomy) in January and I still have mild pain and tenderness at times. If you push yourself, it will only take longer to heal.

Old 11-23-2004, 06:38 PM   #4
(female)

nycjane HB User

I went back to work on the 10th day. I walked slow, but I did it. It was not that bad. And I am 45, I assume you are younger since you mention classes. Talk to your doctor about that, he should be able to tell you whether you can do it or not. Every doctor does things differently. I was very lucky to have a great one who had me walking on Day 3.

Jane in NYC

Old 11-24-2004, 07:46 PM   #5

PMCW58 HB User

In my opinion, my recovery was longer than I expected. I have had both feet done (left foot in May of '03 and right foot in Jan of '04) . I'll try to explain my pain: it hurt pretty bad the first 3-4 days and I needed the prescription pain medication. After about the 5th day, I wasn't taking the prescription meds any more, just Aleve or Tylenol BUT the pain was terrible if my foot wasn't elevated. So, even if I was not in severe pain, I was pretty immmobile. I could hobble downstairs and fix breakfast for my children then I'd quickly have to go sit down and elevate and ice for hour to stop the throbbing. I remember going to the grocery store and in the checkout line telling the girl I had to throw my foot up on the counter or it would explode! That's what swelling feels like--like it's going to explode!

But, let me stress, IT WAS WORTH IT. I am so thrilled with the way my feet feel and look. They're not beautiful but oh my gosh, they are worlds better than the nasty bunions I had. I wore sandals for the first time in my life this summer!
Good luck!
PMCW58

Closed Thread