It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2004, 01:18 PM   #1

spacey_11 HB User
Achilles Tendon Problems?

Hey everyone! I have posted before about ligament reconstruction of the ankle, but I am nowo concerned about another problem. Since I began heavy rehab for my ankle, I have been experiencing pain in my achilles and calf cramps. I hae been told that I have achilles tendonitis and tendonosis, and an excessively tight calf. However, my injured calf is more flexible than the healthy one, and the healthy one doesnt cramp. I know that the best way to treat this, the only way, is to rest. But i can't afford to take a few weeks off or I will lose all my conditioning. Has anyone experiences problems with not letting the tendonitis heal? I am ok with the pain, I can deal with that... i am just worried it will grow into a bigger problem. Any advice? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2004, 02:58 PM   #2

igel44 HB User
Re: Achilles Tendon Problems?

When I hurt my achilles tendon I continued to play in games after being taped half way up my calf. I was told I had achilles tendonitis but I was able to continue playing while taking it easy in practice. To loosen up the tendon I did a lot of stretching and iced after every practice or game. I was able to continue despite the pain. I tried an orthotic for a while as well. Rest is really the only way to make it go away, but from my experience there were ways around it. However, I have also heard that if not treated properly tendonitis can lead to larger problems. You should get a medical opinion if possible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2004, 11:48 AM   #3

frogy HB User

I also have had problems with tendonitis in my achilles tendon since my ankle surgery. At the worst of it, I did have to stop all activities and let it rest for a couple of weeks. Now that it is not as bad what I have found is ice after any strong activity and stretch a lot. I also found that wearing a night brace really helped it. The other thing my doctor told me is to avoid hills and don't wear high heals.

Old 11-17-2004, 11:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

I had some pain right at the base of my tendon (near the heel) after my ligament repair surgery. It mostly just hurt when I went up on my toes (like doing heel raises to strengthen the calf). The doc said that it was normal and it has gone away now.

Old 11-17-2004, 09:30 PM   #5

spacey_11 HB User

That is exactly what I am feeling.. how long after the surgery did it take to go away?

Closed Thread