It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2004, 10:59 AM   #1
(female)

robrebecca HB User
Exclamation bilateral chevron bunionectomy

I am scheduled for a bilateral chevron bunionectomy on monday, Nov. 22. I will be having the bunion cut off and the bone broken above the bunion with a pin to hold it in place. I am wondering if I should reconsider and only get one foot done at a time. I would rather only have 1 recovery period, but I also have 2 young children (age 1 & 2). I will have 3 weeks off work, more if needed,and my husand if planning on taking the first week off. How long will it be before I will be able to walk around the house? How long were pain pills required. If you had both feet done at once, would you do it again????

Old 11-18-2004, 11:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User
Re: bilateral chevron bunionectomy

[QUOTE=robrebecca]I am scheduled for a bilateral chevron bunionectomy on monday, Nov. 22. I will be having the bunion cut off and the bone broken above the bunion with a pin to hold it in place. I am wondering if I should reconsider and only get one foot done at a time. I would rather only have 1 recovery period, but I also have 2 young children (age 1 & 2). I will have 3 weeks off work, more if needed,and my husand if planning on taking the first week off. How long will it be before I will be able to walk around the house? How long were pain pills required. If you had both feet done at once, would you do it again????[/QUOTE]
Hi,
Oh wow, I have had surgery on both of my feet but one at a time and I would not have been able to take care of a 1 and 2 year old.Believe me it will take you much longer than a week before you feel up to chasing 2 little ones.I'm also sure you will need more than 3 weeks off from work.This is only my opinion and good luck with whatever you decide to do

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2004, 07:34 PM   #3

keisha122 HB User

HELLO!
I had my right foot done in june and i'm considering doing the left soon. i dont think its a good idea to get both feet done at the same time.i am 5 months post op am i'm still not even 75%. you are going to for sure need more than three weeks off. the recovery period is a bit longer than three weeks to be on your feet. oh, is your pin temporary? i wish you the best of luck

Old 11-19-2004, 06:58 AM   #4

verylongday HB User

I know that my doctor will not do both feet at once, and the other doctor I consulted said that he'd only do both at once if you had 6 weeks off of work and had NO other responsibilites.

You wont be able to balance to pick up your children very well (and trust me, I jsut had one done a little over 2 weeks ago and I dont care for carrying anything other than my purse even now!).

If I were in your position I would seriously consider have them done seperately.

Closed Thread