It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2004, 08:37 AM   #1

Sandee516 HB User
Should I Go Through With Bunion Surgery? (Already Scheduled, but scared)

Hi - I am scheduled to have bunion surgery in January - however, I am having second thoughts because of all I am reading here, PLUS my sister had the surgery about 15 years ago and she said if she knew better, she would have never had it done. The bunion on my foot is getting bigger, but so far has not caused any of my other toes to overlap... I do get frequent pain and/or numbness... but I don't know if it is really worth going through the surgery - Perhaps I should just suffer with the pain. I am 42 - I work out every day... and I have a busy family life and work full time. I guess I am just wondering at what point is the surgery really necessary. Yes, the bunion is painful (but not 24/7) ... I am so confused as to what I should do... Would I be better off in the long run to have the surgery - OR what if it comes back? That's what happened to my sister? HELP, please?

Sandee

Old 11-19-2004, 11:40 AM   #2
(female)

despnhurtn HB User
Re: Should I Go Through With Bunion Surgery? (Already Scheduled, but scared)

Hi - I had a bunionectomy back in March, and I must say I wish I would have researched the alternatives prior to surgery. I have had a lot of complications post surgery including a rare conditon called RSD. However, my biggest problem has been that due to arthritis setting in the bones that were pushed over are now grinding and hurting and they say there is nothing that can be done. If you are not having any V-cuts but just the bunion removed, perhaps surgery will be ok. Look into special bunion pads, etc. may be the comfort route you can take. I''m not saying no one should ever have the surgery, however, my foot dr. led me to believe it is a piece of cake when actually many people suffer from complications. I wish I would have opted for comfort pad, etc, I have not been able to be up much nor work for 8 months....just some things to think about....Beth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread