It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2004, 10:29 AM   #1

Sandee516 HB User
Anyone HAPPY with bunion surgery results

With all the grim reports on this site of bunion surgery - I was wondering if anyone is happy with the results of their surgery, recovery and return to normal activities .. I am scheduled for surgery in January - but I am having second thoughts! Please advise!

Sandee

Old 11-19-2004, 10:54 AM   #2
(female)

chezlux HB User
Re: Anyone HAPPY with bunion surgery results

I am so happy with my results that I am having my second foot done in Jan. I had my rt foot done last March and felt great by the end of April, start of May. Although the recovery is slow and frustrating, my foot feels so much better. ! Good luck...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2004, 11:03 AM   #3

Sandee516 HB User

Wow - REALLY? I am hearing such negative things about it... I guess because I am not really sure if it is severe enough. It does hurt me and sometimes gets numb, but my toes are not overlapping each other. My rt foot is worse than my left, so I don't even think I'll consider my left foot yet... but I think about my lifestyle right now - busy family life, work full time, I work out every day... I am hearing some of these stories where the surgery doesn't work the first time and they have to do it a second time - I mean all these horror stories are killin' me!

Old 11-19-2004, 12:09 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User

I'm having mine done in January too, and I'm not at all looking forward to being out of commission. Nice to have these boards though. I'll be checking in a lot. Having 1 foot done, then the other a month later. In the winter in NYC. Nice.

Old 11-19-2004, 03:21 PM   #5
(female)

ugatah HB User

I wouldn't do it again. My surgeon says I have "adhesions" on the joint, whatever they are. My toes are as stiff and painful as ever.

Old 11-20-2004, 12:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

I had a bunionectomy nine years ago and didn't have any problems afterward. I was back to totally normal activities in six weeks or so. It doesn't look like I have a bunion on that foot now, that is, the joint doesn't protrude like it did before. However, my toes are starting to overlap, so I suppose in the next few years I will have to have surgery on that foot again. But I imagine that is not unexpected; if you looked at my hands you'd see how arthritis has my fingers curving weird directions, too. I suspect the same thing has happened with my toes.

Old 11-20-2004, 07:31 AM   #7
Inactive

Fuchsia_Lay HB User

BUNION SURGERY - thumbs up ...
those little bunion rascals surely never get better so going under the knife is the only real fixer.

have had done on L & R - no problems... gives you your life back !!!

Old 11-21-2004, 12:20 PM   #8
(female)

cuvanni HB User

Never, Never, Never have it done unless you are having severe problems. I had bunion surgery 12 years ago and since then my big toe started to go under my second toe. Six months ago I had a bunion osteotomy to repair my big toe and then hammertoe surgery on my 2nd toe. I have gone through 4 months of physical therapy to break up the adhesions. I also developed RSD on my foot and had to go through 8 lumbar blocks at the surgery center.

Hopefully, yours will turn out ok but I would only have the surgery if it's really necessary. There are so many little bones in your foot and once the foot has been operated on, a second surgery is risky.

Old 11-22-2004, 12:28 AM   #9

Ally073 HB User

Everyone has different experiences, fortunately for me, mine was positive. If you are considering the procedure at all, you must be bothered in some way by them whether they be painful or excessively large, so all I can say is just take a chance. Yeah it hurts like you wouldnt believe, but you expect that and really, it doesnt last long. I think that apart from the recovery period most people are relatively happy with the outcome of their surgeries.

Just for the record, I am 31 with two small children and I had my right foot done in March (bunion and bunionette). I found this board to be the best support - I still check in from time to time to see whats happening. Use it and ask lots of questions!! GOOD LUCK.

Cheers - Ally

Old 11-23-2004, 06:27 PM   #10
(female)

nycjane HB User

I am 4 weeks post op from a chevron bunionectomy. I was petrified for the same reasons as you before I had it done. All I read was about problems. It is not always that way. Guess what? I went back to work on the 10th day. I live in NYC also. And it was not extraordinarily painful either. I took pain pills for the first couple of days and that was it. I had additional work done too, I had cartilage that had to be repaired and synovism in addition to the bunion. Mine was overlappping the next toe. I was out of the velcro shoe at day 24 and in a sneaker. I walked for an hour today. Post to me if you have questions, I'll be happy to answer. I have to get the other one done next year, and I have no reservations whatsoever. Hope this helps.

Jane in NYC

Last edited by moderator2; 11-24-2004 at 06:47 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 11-24-2004, 07:55 PM   #11

PMCW58 HB User

YES YES YES. I am so glad I had it done. I had my left foot done in May of 2003 and my right foot done in January of 2004. It was grim for a while but I never ever regretted it. I often think every day of how good they look and feel. I had huge, gross bunions on both feet. My feet would hurt, even in tennis shoes.

Timing has alot to do with it, I think. I considered doing it 15 years ago when I was 31 and I chickened out. Now, I'm through having children and they're somewhat independent (6 & 9) so it was a good time for me. Now I'm not going to tell you I have beautiful feet now: for some reason my second toe is now longer than my big toe but, heck, it's SO much better , I don't care. The scars are still visible, too, but not terribly. All in all, it was WORTH IT!
PMCW58
age 46

Old 11-25-2004, 10:12 AM   #12

ana_27 HB User

I had mine done on the left foot about 2.5 years ago and love the look of my foot! I won't lie to you, recovery took a while but it was worth it. I was out of commission for about 2 weeks and went back to work on crutches for another 6. After that, I had to wear a comfortable shoe for a couple of months. I would say I was back to normal in 6 months. The redness stayed for a while longer but now all I have is a thin scar. It's definitely worth it!

Old 11-28-2004, 11:19 PM   #13
(female)

tikimb HB User

It's been two months since I had both done! So far I am so happy with the results. I know I still have a lot of recovering to do...I will be patient. I'm a Flight Attendant and know a handful of coworkers that have had it done and they are ALL happy with their results...the horror stories you read scare me too. I hope I don't run into any complications but no one has a crystal ball. I was lucky I had a great surgeon! Recommended by my friend who had the procedure done last year. Her feet look great, too! I would say go for it!

Closed Thread