It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2004, 08:06 PM   #1
(female)

Amink HB User
Question Looking into Bunionectomy

I am 25, have had very painful bunions since I was about 15.

My delmna is I work as a pharmacy tech, I stand all day long, I can't do my job unless I stand.

Standing makes my already very red, swollen, painful bunion hurt more. It is affecting my ability to stand, and work.

However if I have the surgery done I won't be able to stand.

I was hoping that recovery time would be short, I was thinking if I could go back to work with in a week of surgery and have a sit down job for a few weeks. I am pretty sure my bosses will go along with this for a little while.

But is this an unrealistic recovery time?

I am the main insurance carrier in my family, if I can't maintain 36 hrs weekly I will loose benefits.

If you were in my shoes(pun intended) what would you do?

it seems like being stuck between a rock and a hard place...

Thanks
Ami

Old 11-20-2004, 12:51 AM   #2
Inactive

Fuchsia_Lay HB User
Re: Looking into Bunionectomy

Chances are you will be OK if surgery is successful, you go back to work after a week and are able to sit..

recovery does take a bit - can't force it.
you will need to be off your feet to make sure things don't get inflammed and irritated. believe me your foot will tell you when it's time to put it up, ice, and rest it..

one thing we do know though- bunions Do NOT get better. if they are affecting life & quality of life you must have fixed... and chances are real good you won't regret it)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2004, 06:43 PM   #3
(female)

nycjane HB User

I think you can go back after a week too...as long as you can sit and also, you should elevate your foot. I got a footrest for under my desk that worked great. I went back after 10 days (I have a desk job). I got tired easily but I was OK. I got rid of the velcro shoe at Day 24 and my doctor is very pleased with my progress. Talk to your doctor, I talked to my upfront because I wanted to manage my expectations. Everything has worked out exactly the way he said it would.

Jane in NYC

Old 11-27-2004, 11:46 AM   #4

mom2chet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjane
I think you can go back after a week too...as long as you can sit and also, you should elevate your foot. I got a footrest for under my desk that worked great. I went back after 10 days (I have a desk job). I got tired easily but I was OK. I got rid of the velcro shoe at Day 24 and my doctor is very pleased with my progress. Talk to your doctor, I talked to my upfront because I wanted to manage my expectations. Everything has worked out exactly the way he said it would.

Jane in NYC

Wish I could be so positive. I have had nothing but pain since my first bunionectomy two years ago. I had to have a second surgery 7 weeks later because the pin did not stay in place. A year later I had to have my first metatarsal lengthened. I now am stuck with a joint that lacks cartilage and am in constant pain.

I would love to have my bunion back. At least when I had it, I could go without shoes and have no pain.

Judy in TX

Old 11-28-2004, 11:09 PM   #5
(female)

tikimb HB User

I am a flight attendant. I had both feet done at the same time. I will be off from work for 3 months. I know that recovery time is quicker when you do one foot at a time, but if you have a job where you have to stand a lot...it will be hard, even for the one foot. I have coworkers that have gone through the procedure, they say, even after being back to work 6-7 months, we are on our feet for 15 hours a day some time, and they do get sore, uncomfortable. The minute you get that last cup picked up, you try to go sit down in the galley and put your feet on a ice bucket!! And sit, until it's time to get up again....

Old 11-29-2004, 08:59 AM   #6

verylongday HB User

I had my right foot done on November 2. I took 2 weeks off work, but could have managed only taking one. . . however, I do not ever have to stand at work. I have to be honest and say that even at amost a month now, I dont stand for any length of time. And when I sit, I still need to prop my foot up.

I do not think you can return to work and stand all day in a week, not even two. But if you can get away with sitting alot, I would say have it done (try to take off two weeks, if you possibly can. . . ).

good luck and keep us posted :-)

Old 11-29-2004, 05:55 PM   #7

mom2chet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikimb
I am a flight attendant. I had both feet done at the same time. I will be off from work for 3 months. I know that recovery time is quicker when you do one foot at a time, but if you have a job where you have to stand a lot...it will be hard, even for the one foot. I have coworkers that have gone through the procedure, they say, even after being back to work 6-7 months, we are on our feet for 15 hours a day some time, and they do get sore, uncomfortable. The minute you get that last cup picked up, you try to go sit down in the galley and put your feet on a ice bucket!! And sit, until it's time to get up again....
The only way I would have had the other foot done was to have done them at the same time. I will have to be unable to walk without a walker before I will let any doctor touch my other foot.

Best of lock to you!

Old 12-03-2004, 06:02 AM   #8
(female)

robrebecca HB User
Thumbs up Re: Looking into Bunionectomy

I had a both feet operated on on Nov. 22nd. I am a pharmacist and I plan to return to work on Dec. 9th. I would definitely plan on taking off 2 weeks. I am 11 days post-op now and I am getting around a lot better than I expected. The pain was BAD for 3-4 days. The pain medication didn't get rid of all of the pain, but it made my head cloudy were it was at least tolerable.
My advice is to keep feet elevated as much as possible the first 5 days. After that, make yourself get up and around. I was told I could be weight bearing immediately after surgery, but there was no way because it was too painful. I scooted on my butt, then graduated to crawling, and finally walking. I am doing much better now. I can walk around the house fairly easily. Are you only doing one foot? If you are, I think you will definitely be able to go back in one week if you can sit most of the day. Have the option to take off two if needed. Let us now how it goes.

Old 12-03-2004, 08:36 AM   #9
(female)

Amink HB User

Thank you so much! I am so glad to hear from someone who stands all day and know how crazy pharmacy can be!

I told my employers I will need 2 weeks off and then need to be able sit for a few weeks, so now all I have to do is work out a schedule where I can sit and make the appointment!

Thank you again!

Ami

Old 12-03-2004, 02:55 PM   #10

EMG HB User

Right foot 7/23-04, Left foot 11/22/04. 10 days is a good breaking point. I came back after 7 days on the left foot & that was too soon. If you can sit, & I mean stay seated w/foot elevated for at least the first week back to work that would be good. Heel walking will wear you out fast. Also when reading posts you need to understand we all had different procedures. some simple & some not so simple (ie pins, screws, second toe damage) so ask you Dr about your specific op. & it's expected recovery.

Closed Thread