It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2004, 08:15 AM   #1
(male)

Bigdog Two HB User
Ankle Instability Plus Pain

I am having ankle ligament repair surgery (Modified Brostrom) as well as peroneal tendon repair in two days. Should be fun. I had a grade III sprain about 10 years ago. I have continued to twist/sprain my ankle many times a year since then. I haven't looked into having it fixed until now due to (1) questionable medical advice and (2) for the last 5 years or so it hasn't hurt very much when I step down on my ankle wrong or twist it. Then, this past June playing flag football I twisted it in a way that hurt really bad. It never got better. I went to an OS that specialized in sports medicine, and after a few x-rays and an MRI he diagnosed the pain as post traumatic impingement. In August he did arthroscopic surgery to clean out the joint, remove some bone spurs, etc. It has felt better somewhat since then, but my ankle continues to be very sore - an intense dull ache. Mostly hurts where it typically hurts when you sprain your ankle. But also hurts on the medial side from time-to-time. Of course, the peroneal tendon injury hurts, but that's at the back of the ankle.

My sports medicine OS recommended ligament repair. I then went to an OS that only does ankles and feet. He recommended the ligament surgery as well and said that I have significant laxity (he could pretty easily pull the Talus out of position). So the second OS is doing the surgery.

Here is my question: I question whether having ligament tightening surgery will help the pain. I asked my OS about that and he said that severe instability is often accompanied by pain. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced chronic pain along with instability and if the ligament surgery has helped the pain over the long-run.

My q

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2004, 05:11 PM   #2

StephanieVD HB User
Re: Ankle Instability Plus Pain

Hm.. I had the modified Brostrom twice, and it helped the pain some. Maybe 50%. It really depends on the person, but if its that unstable the surgery shouldn't hurt you any, its a pretty easy surgery..

Closed Thread