It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2004, 09:25 PM   #1
(female)

maworkman HB User
3 1/2 weeks after bunionectomy

I had a right chevron bunionectomy (with 2 absorbable pins) 3 1/2 weeks ago and I am not sure about a few things. I have been on crutches the whole time with minimal weightbearing on my heel and side of my foot and NO range of motion activities at all. I'm concerned because everything I've read has most folks working on that almost right away but my doc didn't say anything at all about it. I can't move my big toe at all, and when I try to it's incredibly painful. Also, there is A LOT of swelling in my foot - all of my toes, and looking at the surgical site, it looks like the bunion is still there although my toe seems more straight. Is this normal? I know there are a lot of ways to recover from the surgery, but it seems as though I am not doing anything other than staying off it - is that enough? I go back to work in 4 days and I am a bit nervous about it!

Old 11-24-2004, 06:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User
Re: 3 1/2 weeks after bunionectomy

Welcome to the boards! I'm not to up on foot issues.

Mudhound

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2004, 06:21 AM   #3
(female)

cuvanni HB User

Like you my doctor did not give me any information about moving the toe after surgery UNTIL I questioned him at the 2 month check up. My toe would not move at all. He said that is why they gave me so much pain medicine so I could move the toe early. I wish I had known that I could move the toe. I had to go through 4 months of physical therapy to loosen up the scar tissue. Before moving it though I would check with your doc and make sure that in your case it's ok. Good luck!

Old 11-29-2004, 09:09 AM   #4

verylongday HB User

I had my bunionectomy done on the 2nd of November, and have two permanent screws (so I dont know how mine will differ from yours). For two weeks I was off work and using crutches to move around. I was allowed to walk on the heel/side of my foot but it really bothered me so the doc gave me an aircast which made getting around MUCH easier.

At two weeks I gave up the crutches for good, I can walk, though slowly and carefully. I still try to sit as much as possible and keep my foot elevated. At 3 weeks I was told to start moving my toe with my hand (doc showed me exactly how much I was too do this). My appointment for more xrays and getting rid of this orthapedic shoe is in two days.

I would call yoru doc and ask him if there isnt something else you shouldbe doing. . .

Old 11-30-2004, 03:14 AM   #5
(female)

kierajacksmom HB User

Verylong we had surgery on the same day...I just got my pin out yesterday. I was not told about moving my toe either. I just had a bandage and a boot for the past four weeks and was concerned that I couldn't move it. After the pin came out, the toe has been so much easier to move. It's still difficult, but I can now feel a little movement. I don't know if the recovery is different with the removable pin versus the permanent pins and screws though. Rebecca

Old 11-30-2004, 05:25 AM   #6

qbert1 HB User

I had the lapidus procedure done 7 weeks ago (still on crutches!) - My doc also has me moving my big toe. I've made progress moving it up, but moving it down is very difficult. Is this typical? Can you guys move your big toe down as much as up? thanks!

Old 02-04-2005, 01:27 PM   #7
(female)

sharonssorefoot HB User

It's been 11 days since my surgery. I went to an Orthopedic surgeon instead of podiatrist. I have the removable pin and can't wait to get it out. My foot throbs all the time and I cannot put any weight on the heel or side. I am hobbling around in crutches. I move my other toes with my hand but am staying away from the big toe for now, tooooo painful. It still hurts to have foot at a down position but not as badly. Haven't had a cramp in a while, Thank God! Is there anyone out there who can tell me when I can get around in my boot without the awful crutches!!

Old 02-04-2005, 01:40 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User

It's been two weeks since my surgery - about the same as you, a pin and two screws, on crutches, throbs when it's not elevated - it's all normal. It's driving me crazy too, but bone takes 6-8 weeks to heal; I don't expect to put weight on my foot (at all) for another month or more. It's tough, but you have to be patient. So many people have multiple surgeries - I'd rather not, so I'm not going to rush it.

My incision is what's bugging me right now - I had a little hematoma and had to get yet another cast put on - some swelling under the stitches; then they had to drain, which was painful while it was happening, but MUCH better afterward - they left me three stitches and put on some butterfly bandages. This was the first time I saw my foot - I burst into tears because other than the swelling and purpleness, it looked like a normal person's foot! STRAIGHT on the big toe side! I couldn't believe it. This is definitely worth it - I keep picturing my new foot whenever I start to go nuts being in this bed.

Hang in there, and keep that thing elevated!

Old 02-05-2005, 03:07 PM   #9
(female)

sharonssorefoot HB User

Dear kierajaksmom,

tell me more about your pin being removed? I am looking forward to that but am afraid as well,, how do they get it out? Does it hurt?

Thanks, sharonssorefoot

Old 02-05-2005, 03:12 PM   #10
(female)

sharonssorefoot HB User

Dear Joll43,
thanks for your reply. a pin and 2 screws and a cast. Good grief. I only have 1 pin and no cast, its just wrapped very tightly in a bandage that I can't take off. I have already seen my foot, I went last week to get a new bandage. I nearly passed out from the disgusting pin sticking out but was also thrilled with my bunion being gone and my toe being straight. I am 34 years old but my foot looked like my grandmother's! My right foot is perfectly fine thank goodness!!! Thanks for the pep talk, you must have had one doozy of a bunion!!!!! I'd like to keep up with how you are doing since we are on about same time schedule!
Thanks,
Sharonssorefoot

Old 02-05-2005, 06:38 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User

Sharon,

I still have to have the other foot done, since right and left for me are almost identical - so not looking forward to it, but if I don't do it now, I won't be able to do much later on in life - my mom's feet are pretty bad; her big toes are almost fully sideways. Mine are bad, but my big toes don't overlap (yet) and I don't have hammertoes; my podiatrist is great and just wants me to go through this once, so we're doing as much as we can with the cartilege that's still there. I'm 38 - I also nearly passed out when I saw the pin, but that's the only thing I can't feel at all!

Nights are the worst, aren't they? I just try keep it elevated and not think about my incision. I can't watch scary movies, because when I'm startled I tend to jerk my foot!

My cast is a pain, but I'm glad my foot is totally protected! I'm going nuts from the cabin-fever........

Take care,
Lisa

Old 02-06-2005, 09:19 AM   #12
(female)

sharonssorefoot HB User

Lisa,

It is so nice to actually converse with someone who is going thru this as well, everyone just kind of looks at me with the same look on their face when I talk about the pain, you know that look? Gee, I'm sorry. In some ways I wish I would have gotten a cast because I am clumsy on these crutches and have knocked my foot against things several times, plus my 4 and 7 year old are really tired of hearing, watch out for mom's foot! Yes, nights are horrible, I can't get comfortable and my foot throbs and twitches all night long. And once I do finally doze off my foot jerks and that hurts like the devil! I only take one very mild pain pill at night but it doesn't seem to help at all anymore. I might just try advil or Tylenol P.M.
I definilty got my Grandma's feet. But she just a year ago had her bunion removed and it took her over a year to walk normally again. At least we are young and our bones heal quicker.

Cabin fever is the absolute pits. I have a part time job and think I will try to go to work this week just to get out of the house.
Keep me updated on how you are doing and we'll compare!
Bye for now,
Sharon

Old 02-07-2005, 10:06 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User

Yeah, I know the look; actually I don't, as I just talk to my friends instead of seeing them. I can't really get out, and our apartment isn't really conducive to visitors (we're in NJ - the part where you live if you work in NYC - so it's like commuterville. I've never really gone out in my neighborhood; we're just a 15-minute bus ride from the city, so we do everything there - now I can't take the bus for a while, so it makes it kinda tough) - but I'm sick of talking about the pain. Actually I'm just sick of the pain.

I can't imagine doing this with kids in the house - good for you! My fiance has been a dream throughout this whole thing; cooking, cleaning, etc.

The thing that's bugging me now is my lower back! I'm using my good leg so much to scoot around with, that my back is starting to pull from it. So I have ice behind my knee and a heating pad at my back. I'm a total mess. My next Dr. appt is Wednesday and I'll get yet another cast. I think my pin comes out in two weeks - I can't wait to stop seeing that pin in my head!

As for pain, I've been trying Aleve and while nothing really helps this pain at night - it's been working for me.

That's it for now - hang in there!
Lisa

Old 02-07-2005, 02:33 PM   #14
(female)

sharonssorefoot HB User

Oh, I am so jealous. NY is my most favorite place to visit! We go as often as I can persuade my husband to. I've been with my mom and some friends too. NO better city in the world.

My wrists are bothering me from crutches, definilty have the lower back pain going on too. I have a weak back as it is and these crutches are really doing a number on it.
This surgery isn't for wimps! I have stopped taking my prescription pain meds. They weren't working very well anymore and I was starting to feel dependent on them. I take Advil and think I will try Excedrin Pm at bedtime. But sleep still eludes me! I can't figure out why nightime is the worst. My toe just aches and throbs and sometimes if my toes move involuntarily a sharp pain shoots thru my foot and sends me thru the roof, OUCH. The pain I can deal with though, its the total lack of getting around that really gets me down. My husband dropped me off at the movie theatre yesterday and I was amazed at how hard it was just to get myself in the theatre chair and back up again, let alone manuevering thru the crowd. People aren't very helpful, and I live in the South for crying out loud. Anyway, enough moaning. Nice chatting with you again. I go Wednesday to get stitches out, I will close my eyes, Idon't want to see that pin again. YUCK

Bye for now,
Sharon

Old 02-10-2005, 08:29 AM   #15
(female)

sharonsa HB User
Talking Re: 3 1/2 weeks after bunionectomy

times New Roman

I am two weeks post-op with bunionectomy and 4 hammertoes and cannot imagine going back to work in two weeks. Nothing was said to me about moving the big toe, but with full length pins in the other 4 toes, it doesn't seem possible. My Dr said to avoid all weight until next appt. at three weeks. However, I could not manuever the crutches, so I'm using a wheel chair. I don't undrstand why all of you are up and around by three weeks and I'm not. He told me about two months off work. Help

Closed Thread