It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2004, 08:34 AM   #1
(male)

Bigdog Two HB User
Cool Post Op Tips

Having just had my second ankle surgery in 3 months on Tuesday, I thought it might be helpful to compile some tips for those who are about to undergo surgery for the first time. Maybe this has been done before, but anyway:

1. If you stay overnight, the nurses wake you up periodically and give you pain meds. Your first few nights at home you need to do the same thing - set an alarm for every 3 or 4 hours to take your pain meds. Waking up in the middle of the night in severe pain sucks and it takes a long time for the meds to kick back in.

2. Related to point 1, try to stay ahead of the game with the pain meds. Take them on schedule and don't wait for the pain to get really bad.

3. Begin taking collace (laxative) the day of surgery and keep taking it. Pain meds cause constipation.

4. Take some nutrition bars (Cliff Bars, Balance Bars, etc.) with you to the hospital (if you are staying overnight). Because the hospital won't want you to have solid food for a few hours after surgery, you may end up missing getting fed altogether and need to provide your own food. Also, hospital food sucks and you are probably better off with a nutrition bar.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread