It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2004, 08:04 PM   #1
(female)

patriotsfanlind HB User
Unhappy Posterior Tibialis Tendon Transfer,calcaneal Osteotomy,achilles Tendon Lengthening.

i HAD SURGERY FOR ACHILLES TENDON LENGTHENING,CALCANEAL OSTEOTOMY,AND POSTERIOR TIBIALIS TENDON REPAIR ON JUNE 11,2004.
I AM STILL USING CRUTCHES,AND I STILL HAVE SEVERE PAIN AFTER 10 MINUTES IF I'M ON MY FEET. I AM NOT VERY HAPPY WITH THIS SURGERY,BUT I HAD A TOTAL POSTERIOR TIBIALIS TEAR. MY ANKLE BONE WAS LITERALLY HITTING THE GROUND,AND I COULDN'T WALK WITHOUT PAIN.
HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD A SIMILIAR SURGERY?
I ALSO HAD TARSAL TUNNEL RELEASE AND FASCIA RELEASE ON BOTH FEET OVER 2 YRS AGO,AND STILL HAVE PAIN FROM THAT.
THIS IS VERY DISCOURAGING,SEEING AS I LOVE TO RUN,AND HAVEN'T SINCE I HAD THIS INJURY IN JANUARY.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2004, 10:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Posterior Tibialis Tendon Transfer,calcaneal Osteotomy,achilles Tendon Lengthening.

Welcome to the board! It sounds like you are in a lot of pain. What does your doctor think about this? I had ankle surgery in March (brostrom and Evans, which was a repair of the ligaments and a tendon graft that involved drilling a hole in my fibula), and I was in a lot of pain for a while, and I remember the stage where it was okay until I let it hang down, then it hurt a lot. I was on crutches for about 2 months, then PT and I was mostly recovered by July. So it sounds like your recovery is going slowly, but I really don't know. So that's why I wonder what the doctor has to say. I give you lots of sympathy for still being on crutches. That was not fun. But eventually it will get better. Just hang in there, keep it elevated, etc. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2004, 08:46 PM   #3
(male)

TPB HB User
Re: Posterior Tibialis Tendon Transfer,calcaneal Osteotomy,achilles Tendon Lengthening.

Wow.. I can't believe you're still on crutches after all this time. I had basically the same surgery done in April 2003. It seems I was on crutches for 12 weeks. Has your doctor given you any indication why you're having so much touble? I had a bone graft that took a long time to heal ( I still have trouble sometimes). BTW..do you smoke?? My doctor said that was the biggest hinderance to healing there is. I am really, really sorry you're having so much trouble

Old 11-28-2004, 08:11 AM   #4
(female)

Queeneev HB User

What is the pain you are feeling? Can you isolate it to the achilles surgery or the tendon repair, or is it general pain everywhere?

Also - what are you doing currently for your foot, in terms of therapy, and what do you wear on your foot? Are you working and does the job that put you on your foot?

ARE you still on crutches? You didn't say that.

Old 11-28-2004, 10:31 AM   #5

StephanieVD HB User

I had a calcaneal osteotomy w/Chrisman Snook procedure back in February. I had post-op complications, but I know the site of my osteotomy still kills me. I have been told I may need an achilles lengthening and I have PTT dysfunction from surgery so may have to get the medial side redone too now.. The pain is pretty bad, I was on crutches a long time, still off and on them now.. Good luck! Have you tried another opinion, just a thought.

Old 12-28-2004, 11:18 AM   #6
(male)

seanster HB User

Hi eveyone, I am new to this.. It's has been such a nightmare for me to go through this calcaneal osteotomy I need to talk to someone who has been though it. I am 12 weeks post-op and my god, I hurt every day. I have no weight bearing for another 4 weeks atleast. I was doing well until I fell at work and landing on my right foot which is the foot i had done, the ankle popped, and i was in so much pian I went into shock and spent the night in the hospital. I was back to work a few days later but now I'm scared to even move. I have three year old twin boys, and a wonderful wife, and I feel so bad I can't do anything for them. This is so hard. I want to walk again. II have to have an MRI in February so look at any new damage from the fall. Doc won't do it right now because he says it will look like mush. My heel hurts so bad, and lately the swelling is nasty. I'm tired of complaining. What can I do for the pain? I have not even started PT yet. Is this ever going to get better? It's getting to be so hard to stay positive and I guess I was not expecting such struggle. It wouldn't be so bad If It didn't hurt so much. I haven't had any type of pain killers in over a month and when my docotr gave them to me, I only had three prescriptions. He's not big on narcotics and he makes me feel like i'm doing something wrong if I ask for them. As I sit here at work writing this, My heel is on fire, I can't take it anymore. I feel a little better writing this knowing that there are others that have gone through this. Does anyone know what the long term side effects or prblems I can look forward to having? Any suggestions or commment would be appreciated. Thanks to all ! Happy New Year.. I hope. Seanster

Old 12-29-2004, 11:43 PM   #7
(male)

TPB HB User

Something does not sound right!! I cannot imagine you still having THAT much pain. I didn't have hardly any pain until I started using my foot again. Who did your surgery.. an ortho or Podiatrist?? You should consider getting a second opinion from another doctor. You really should not still be in THAT much pain. Did your doc take any x-rays after you fell?? That would tell them if any bone damage was done. There likely is too much swelling to tell if you did any ligament damage with an MRI. I'm sorry to hear you're having so many problems. I remember during my PT, I was doing some "toe lifts" on the edge of a stair, and my foot slipped off and I was in soo much pain afterwards. It did get better though..and I'm sure you will also. Don't be intimdated asking for meds. Your doctor isn't living with that much pain. Why did you have the surgery done in the first place if you don't mind my asking??

Old 01-02-2005, 01:14 PM   #8
(female)

MichelleAnne18 HB User

Ugh... this is scaring me! I'm set for a calcaneal osteotomy and achilles lengthening in 8 days.. I hope my healing goes well! What is the *typical* revoery for this kind of surgery? Or do most of them go as bad as these?

Michelle

Old 01-11-2005, 11:21 AM   #9
(male)

seanster HB User

Hey TPB, sorry I had lost my bookmark to this site. Got some new news, I had the surgery after tearing my Post-terrior Tibial ? Twice, then the third time I tore it, I lost the arch in my foot and we tried the custom orthotics but they didn't work out. Anyway, just had an MRI last week with injection, shows no Abcess or infection but show a small tear in achillies. Also had a CT scan shows the heel has not fused to the foot yet, so that's why I have my pain. This totally stinks, My wife has just had it. I have atleast two more months with a cast, and I am being fitted for some electronic stimulator that will go in my cast. No idea about that one. so much for a good start to the new year. Doc says I have so many issues because of my fall and I walked on it early a couple of times. Now I must pay for it I guess.

Old 01-13-2005, 08:20 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

prisc1125 HB User

Hi Patriotsfanlind,
Wow, that is a long time to be on crutches from a June surgery. Are you in a boot at least?
I had major reconstructive work done five years ago, including an Achilles lengthening, and some other major work. These procedures take a LONG time to recover from. I had PT for strengthening and gait training. What does your doctor think is causing the delay?
Be prepared that the muscles, etc. are now inherently different so you may have to reset your expectations for what is "ideal" now.

From your moniker, you must be in New England. Where'd you go for the work, if I may ask?

Cheers
Prisc1125

Closed Thread