It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2004, 12:40 PM   #1
(female)

shellie562 HB User
Exclamation Bunion surgery slightly painful or severe..conflicting reports..surgery Thurs. Dec. 2

Hi, I am scheduled for surgery (bunionectomy) Thursday, Dec. 2nd...I have researched the procedures online, just through search engine results (mostly written by M.D.s) AND UNTIL I came to this board I was under the impression that the surgery produced mild discomfort post-op. According to my understanding of what I read HERE, it is a miserable pain!..I AM A WIMP!!!!...32 yrs. old with a markedly deformed foot...structural bunion, requiring the "pins", shaving the bone, straightening of the bones in the top of the foot, and "some work" on the tendons and ligaments...PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE respond and let me know just what to expect as far as pain INTENSITY & DURATION! Any advice, info, ANYTHING would be much appreciated!.....Shellie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2004, 01:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
Re: Bunion surgery slightly painful or severe..conflicting reports..surgery Thurs. Dec. 2

Shellie -

Everyone is different when it comes to pain and much of it is managable if you elevate, ice and keep on top of your pain meds. Have faith in yourself and if you trust your surgeon you will be fine. It will require patience on your part for recovery.

Best Wishes -eko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2004, 02:51 PM   #3
(female)

shellie562 HB User
Re: Bunion surgery slightly painful or severe..conflicting reports..surgery Thurs. Dec. 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eko
Shellie -Thanks heaps eko...I am praying that there is much ado about nothing!.....Again, thanks....Shellie

Everyone is different when it comes to pain and much of it is managable if you elevate, ice and keep on top of your pain meds. Have faith in yourself and if you trust your surgeon you will be fine. It will require patience on your part for recovery.

Best Wishes -eko

Old 11-29-2004, 08:40 PM   #4

qbert1 HB User
Re: Bunion surgery slightly painful or severe..conflicting reports..surgery Thurs. De

I just had bunion surgery 7 weeks ago - mine was severe and got to the point where I couldn't even wear shoes! I had the lapidus procedure done - removal of bone, two screws - the works. The "foot block" that numbs the foot during surgery - wore off after about six hours...and the pain kicked in. It was pretty bad - BUT could have been prevented had I taked the painkillers (percoset) my doc prescribed before the foot block wore off. I had to play catch up with the drugs and it never really worked. On a positive note, the pain only lasted for 2-3 days - which I thought was pretty amazing considering what was done to my foot! So my advice, and I'll be doing this myself when I have my other foot done, take painkillers before the pain, and take them every few hours as prescribed. Also keep it elevated, the higher the better! Don't forget to ice it as well. Pain aside, I'd have have other foot done tomorrow if I could! Good luck! Keep us posted on how it goes!

Old 11-30-2004, 04:18 AM   #5
(female)

shellie562 HB User
Re: Bunion surgery slightly painful or severe..conflicting reports..surgery Thurs. De

Thank you so much for the "inside" on this procedure guys...as the day draws nearer I keep praying that I will actually go through with it..In all honesty, I know I will- I have to..Lately, the pain has gotten so bad at work that I can barely stand it some days & I have 3 little girls who depend on me to provide...Thank you! I will post Friday and share my good news.!

Old 11-30-2004, 06:20 AM   #6

qbert1 HB User

I think you'll be amazed by the whole experience - the procedure, healing process and the "new" foot! The pain you're in now won't go away on it's own...

By the way, I'm 32 as well AND a major whimp when it comes to doctors, and wouldn't hesitate to do this all over again!

Old 11-30-2004, 09:28 AM   #7

verylongday HB User

My surgery was on the 2nd of November. The "block" wore off about 12 hours later. . . but it didnt really start hurting till the next morning. I would say for about 3 days it was VERY painful (I am a wuss too), but that ended up to be because my bandaging was too tight. When the doc had us cut that off it helped immensly. After that it was just a few motrin a day as needed, it wasnt bad at all when my foot was elevated.

When I tried to get up, however, it was ruff (swelling) for a bout a week or so and has slowly gotten to the point of just discomfort rather than pain.

Hopefully will get rid of the orthapedic shoe and start walking normal tomorrow!

Old 11-30-2004, 07:24 PM   #8
(female)

nycjane HB User
Talking Re: Bunion surgery slightly painful or severe..conflicting reports..surgery Thurs. Dec. 2

I had the austin bunionectomy on 10/22. He also did cartilage work and tendon work. I would classify my pain as mild. I kept it iced and elevated the first 3 days. The 4th day I walked a little and gradually added on. I went back to work on the 10th day. I am just over 5 weeks post op now and doing very well. I wore a shoe for a few hours this afternoon instead of my sneaker and it was good.

I was petrified too, I started to cry in the waiting room I ws so nervous. Don't you do that I need to get the other foot done next year and I have no reservations whatsoever.

Good luck....and tell us how it was!

Jane in NYC

Old 12-05-2004, 10:27 AM   #9
(female)

shellie562 HB User
Post Re: Bunion surgery slightly painful or severe..conflicting reports..surgery Thurs. Dec. 2

Hi guys...I THOUGHT that I had posted an update but I don't see it here..I must have done something wrong .
At any rate, my surgery was Thursday & all went as planned except for an extra pin and a bit more work on the tendons/ligaments than originally expected. The block lasted until about 8 p.m. & that was GREAT! After that the pain set in but still the worse was to come the next day..Friday I HAD to be on my feet off & on nearly all day . I used a cane, took the painkillers and WAAAY over did it!...So needless to say, I paid dearly Friday night & Saturday. My foot is a kaleidescope of colors, ranging from lt. green-purple-black (what I can see of it). Today, I am feeling much better, although still depending on the meds..I can tell EXACTLY when they start to wear off & I am just praying that all of the activity Friday didn't do damage .
Post-op HAS BEEN painful for me. I think back to the articles that I read by the MD's that said their patients required nothing more than Motrin & had only very mild discomfort , and I think they are full of it!!!..There is no way that someone could have this procedure and have no pain!....
I go back for my post-op visit Tuesday & I think they will change the bandages but I am not sure what else they do on that first visit...Thanks again people for the info you have given and the sharing of your experiences, it prepared me 10x's more than anything I found through the search engine!..I will continue to check this thread & report. God bless, Shellie

Closed Thread