It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2004, 01:15 PM   #1
(female)

KarynLR HB User
Nerve Pain Options

Hi All,

Well after a long and busy 6 weeks, my computer is back up and online! I spent a lot of time at school and the library and Kinko's doing work... and I rely WAY too heavily on my MSN bookmarked sites so I had no addresses anywhere--so now I am back to reacclimate myself in my message board communities. A lot has happened with my foot since I last was here... to the great happiness of my OS and PT, I am back in regular shoes with orthotics, no more fracture boot! I am having a little left foot pain, but we are trying to treat that conservatively for as long as we can get away with. My nerve pain has increased considerably, but my OS is not inclined to do much now; he'd like to wait for awhile more. I left his office the other day with scripts for Ketamine Gel and Lidoderm, and started gradually increasing my Neurontin yesterday from 900 mg to 1200 mg (it will be a sleepy 3 weeks!). He has searched through some less invasive options, and has come up with 2 so far. We will both do a little more research, then meet back after the New Year and make some decisions. I would love to hear if anyone has any experience with cryotherapy or Anodyne therapy.

Cryotherapy involves some sort of injection by a special machine into the nerve. It freezes the nerve, which inhibits the inability of the nerve to recieve messages and therefore, cause pain. The website he gave me to visit is to a podiatrist in New Jersey, and I am in Detroit, Michigan. I contacted the podiatrist as to whether he knows of anyone in Michigan who practices this, but have not heard back from him yet. I have not found anyone here yet who does this, which is surprising, especially since I am centrally located in metro Detroit and it'd be easy for me to get to them!

Anodyne therapy is done with a PT. It is some sort of infrared light that promotes healing of the nerve. It is mostly designed for diabetics, and there are several clinics in the area (not my PT though) that do it. I am skeptical though, and I would like to limit the amount of time and money spent dealing with this problem.

I'm glad to be back!

--Karyn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2004, 03:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lostmary HB User
Re: Nerve Pain Options

KarenLR,
Just read your post. I had part of the bones, and the joints removed from my little toe almost 3 months ago. The nerve has been affected somehow, and I hurts, and burns all the time. My dr. is now injecting alcohol into the nerve to kill it. He said it may take up to 7 injections. (boy do they hurt). If that doesn't work, then he will cut the nerve. either way, I will loose feeling in my toe (yeah). Hope that helps

Old 12-05-2004, 10:12 PM   #3
Inactive

ronnald_b HB User

Anodyne therapy I believe has some success with Neurapathy. Seems to work for some, but not for others.

Old 12-08-2004, 02:46 PM   #4
(female)

KarynLR HB User

[QUOTE=lostmary]KarynLR,
Just read your post. I had part of the bones, and the joints removed from my little toe almost 3 months ago. The nerve has been affected somehow, and I hurts, and burns all the time. My dr. is now injecting alcohol into the nerve to kill it. He said it may take up to 7 injections. (boy do they hurt). If that doesn't work, then he will cut the nerve. either way, I will loose feeling in my toe (yeah). Hope that helps[/QUOTE]

Lostmary--

I hope those injections work! The DPM that is helping me out (he removed an ingrown toenail and is helping with some left foot pain; also advising me on nerve pain options, though my amazing OS is treating that) told me that he doesn't like the alcohol injections, nor does he like shock wave treatment for plantar fasciitis which I still have (and my OS was the chief investigator for the FDA on that, lol ). My OS has not mentioned the shots. The DPM, who is board-certified and recommended had not heard of the cryoanalgesia procedure, which leaves me wary of that... after finals next week though, I am going to do my own research at the medical library. I would avoid surgery if I could though--but I am sure you already know that! I am also going to check out the places in the area that offer Anodyne and see what they have to say; if I'd be a good candidate. Thanks for the reply

--Karyn

Closed Thread