It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2004, 02:41 PM   #1
(female)

janet23 HB User
Neuroma surgery, pod. or orthoped?

I may decide to have surgery for my Morton's neuroma. Some of you sound pleased with your results and others not so pleased. I would like to know from those of you who have been there if a podiatrist or orthopedic doctor did your surgery and whether or not you are satisfied with the results. Thanks!

Old 11-30-2004, 11:12 AM   #2

CJBermuda HB User
Re: Neuroma surgery, pod. or orthoped?

Hi,

I had this surgery Aril 30/04. it was to release a trapped nerve. It was done by an orthoped. I had temporary relief of the trapped nerve.

I think when it comes to choosing it depends on the experience of the surgeon. You need to check into their background and make sure they have done this surgery several times before and what their success rate was.

Find out as much as you can about the dignoisis of your own foot and get a second opinion.

Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2004, 11:42 AM   #3
(female)

janet23 HB User

Thank you! Initially I saw a podiatrist who treated me with injections for Morton's neuroma. I am now seeing an orthopedic surgeon because so many people warned me NOT to let a podiatrist operate. I have suffered with this pain for over a year, and now that I am mentally ready for the surgery, my foot doesn't hurt today!
My arthritis doctor has recently doubled my meds, and I am beginning to wonder if my "neuroma" is actually joint inflammation and is responding to the higher dose of medicine. I go back to the orth. dr. tomorrow where I hope to resolve my dilemma.
My next question is how long were you off your feet? My dr. says if we do surgery on a Friday then I can return to work on Tuesday. A friend told me she couldn't walk for 5 days. This may also determine whether or not I proceed with surgery. Thanks again for your advice!

Old 11-30-2004, 12:22 PM   #4

CJBermuda HB User

Hi,

I was off my feet for 14 days initially. I week with stitches in and bandaged quite a bit/ Crutch walking. I think this was due to my incision being quite deep in the foot, so much that it was very sensitive to touch through the bandages.

I was told to say off my foot and crutch walk for 4 weeks, because I tried to walk to soon after 2 weeks and my foot was bruised badly. Because of work and the stairs I walked with a cane for another 2 weeks which was painful. Took me approx 2 months to get back to a shoe with a heel. I now buy all shoes with less than 2 inches or 1.5 inches.

All this to say follow the directions of your surgeon!!!

Good luck...

Last edited by CJBermuda; 11-30-2004 at 12:25 PM.

Old 11-30-2004, 10:00 PM   #5
Inactive

ronnald_b HB User

I would think a podiatrist since that's all they do, but I'm sure others will say ortho will work too.

Hi CJ! Good to see ya!

Old 12-01-2004, 05:11 AM   #6

CJBermuda HB User

There are some ortho surgeons that specialize in feet, those are the ones to go and seek out!

Hi Ron,

How have you been? How is your foot these days?

Missed you on the boards!!

Chantel.

Old 12-03-2004, 10:17 AM   #7
Inactive

ronnald_b HB User

Hi CJ! Foot is a "little" better. I have an appointment next week to see another podiatrist.

Question, when you had your neuroma, did you have twitching sensations in your legs or foot? I've been getting a lot of twiching mainly in my legs but sometimes in my chest area too, don't know if it's from the neuromas or not.

Old 12-03-2004, 10:36 AM   #8

CJBermuda HB User

Hey Ron,

Glad to hear that you are feeling a little better.

Funny you would mention that twitching, I get that all the time before the surgery and even more so after, especially at night. I guess when your foot is resting the nerve gets a chance to move around more. It is shocking at first but then you get used to it. I get the twitching in my foot as well as my knee.. Not the chest area???

take care

I am going for another MRI on the 13th....

Old 12-03-2004, 12:29 PM   #9
Inactive

ronnald_b HB User

CJ,
Is your twitching more like a buzzing? I should have stated mine feels more like a buzzing sensation and tends to move all around my legs. Yes I feel it mostly at night, sometimes in the daytime too, but generally annoys me most at night.

Did you doctor say anything about it?

Old 12-03-2004, 12:56 PM   #10

CJBermuda HB User

Hey Ronald,

Yes I know what you mean, constant buzzing, sometimes a twitching that will make you jump a little. I actually feel the pain in my knee and on the top and bottom of my foot. It feels like little insects crawling around in there. Sometimes I also experience sharp pains like a shot of electricty on my foot or pinching feeling on the between my toes.

Well have a great weekend.

Old 12-04-2004, 03:27 PM   #11

wubbogirl HB User

i had morton's neuroma surgery in 12/01 done by a podiatrist. i didn't have to use crutches afterwards. I wore a surgical boot for two weeks. The surgery wasn't painful at all. The only thing I would recommend is doing physical therapy after the surger especially ultrasound therapy for the scar.

Old 12-04-2004, 07:45 PM   #12

CJBermuda HB User

My surgery was a little different from neuroma surgery, the liagments were actually split to allow the nerve to be free as it was trapped in between liagments. So my recovery was a little longer and I cannot not put any pressure on my foot for approx 2-3 weeks which ended up in a lot of bruising...

talk soon.
Chantel.

Last edited by CJBermuda; 12-04-2004 at 07:46 PM.

Old 12-04-2004, 08:14 PM   #13

wubbogirl HB User

yeah i had that pooling of blood too. I thought the bruising was more painful that the surgical site itself

Old 12-05-2004, 12:42 AM   #14
(female)

lady neon HB User

I had a neuroma removed from my right foot back in April. My Podiotrist preformed the surgery mainly because my insurance wont cover any other kind of doctor for foot and ankle problems unless its directly related to an injury. If I could of chosen I would of went with a OS that specializes in sports medicine.

I have recently ruptured my Plantar Fascia which is more than likely due to my Pod. injecting steriods in my heel. ( he didnt mention that these injections thin out the plantar fascia and make it weak) I also showed him how my toes have become deformed from the neuroma surgery. He wasnt impressed with how it turned out. My third toe is floppy from the first joint out, and has developed a hammer toe from that joint back.

With my insurance I only had two Podiotrists to pick from, and I picked the one that I had heard good things about. Its really difficult when the insurance companies make these important decisions for us as we're the ones that have to live with the results of these decisions.

Kathy

Old 12-05-2004, 12:58 AM   #15
(female)

lady neon HB User

CJ- from the research I did and what my Pod and OS have told me they have to release the ligament when removing a neuroma. Did your Dr. say why he didnt remove the neuroma if he was releasing the ligament?

I also had an Osteotimy (sp?) during the same surgery, where he removed bone from and repositioned my 3rd metitarsal. I was in an orthipedic shoe for two mos. After I finally had all the bandages removed (about 6wks) my toe that had the osteotimy was positioned wrong and he released the ligament from that toe. That was like starting the recovery all over again.

I can say that other than my third toe being limp and deformed, I finally have little or no pain in that area, just some stiffness. The recovery takes alot longer than one would think. My pod warned me that it would take at least 7 to 12 mos. to completly heal.

Kathy

Closed Thread