It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2004, 06:35 PM   #1
(male)

Bad Toe HB User
Had Bunion surgery need info on gait

Hello everyone, I am new to the board and did a search on my problem and can not find an answer. Can someone try to answer my question?
I had a bunion operation 4 months ago. They had to put two screws into my toe and then fused the toe.
My problem is that now my big toe is sticking up off the ground about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the ground. Is this a normal position for the toe after they fuse the toe?
My problem is that since my big toe does not touch the ground, all of my body weight from this foot is now on the 4 small toes. This has caused me to walk with a slight limp and unbalanced. I have fell two time due to my balance being off. My foot now hurts since when I walk all of my weight goes on my 4 toes. I traded one problem for another. HELP!

Old 12-02-2004, 10:09 PM   #2
(female)

ugatah HB User
Re: Had Bunion surgery need info on gait

I had something similar, but not with a fusion. My big toes stick up, and the right one is worse than the left. My weight is on on the ball of my foot, and the big toes are stiff and painful. The surgeon podiatrist said that adhesions (scar tissue) had formed. I'm going to get a second opinion from an orthopaedic surgeon in January. I don't think my problem is adhesions, and I don't want to have more surgery. Life is miserable when you have painful feet, isn't it?! If I'm not concentrating I walk with a limp then get a sore thigh muscle in my right leg. I try to walk normally and put up with the pain as often as I can.
Cheers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2004, 05:55 AM   #3
(male)

Bad Toe HB User

ugatah,

Thanks for your reply. I still would like to hear from others about the position of their toe after the operation. My story is that I am a Veitnam vet, and had the VA hosipital do the surgery. My GP at the hosipital said this is a normal position for the toe to be in after the surgery. I can not agree with him due to all the pain I have, therefore would like to know other peoples experence. One person who works with me had a bunion operation and their toe touches the ground while standing. I just want ot know if this is standard procdure.

Old 12-03-2004, 06:06 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

I had my toe fused earlier this year, it sounds like the angle of your fusion is too high. The goal for my toe was between 15 and 20 degrees, I came it at 17. Now keep in mind that I am a female and typically they fuse women with a higher degree than men because of the heels on shoes. The DPM who did my fusion told me the only time he does men with the same or higher degree of fusion is if they always wear cowboy boots.

You need to have them measure the angle from your x-rays, like I said my first thought is that the angle to to high and that is why you feel unstable. Just for your own reference, fusion can be redone if needed, you should not feel unstable when walking.

If I can answer and further questions, please let me know. Good luck! -eko

Old 12-06-2004, 10:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

Hey, I was thinking later, why did they fuse your toe to correct a bunion? Was there something else wrong with the joint? Typically they do not fuse toes for bunionectomies and leave the joint in tact.

Also when you walk, are you rolling off of the big toe or off the lesser toes? Maybe you can get some sort of orthotic to help your balance and yet help you walk.

-eko

Closed Thread