It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2004, 09:40 AM   #1
(female)

shellie562 HB User
Red face BUNIONECTOMY: HOW MUCH SWELLING & PAIN IS NORMAL POST OP?

I had a bunionectomy with ligament revision (3 pins, some bone removed) last Thursday 12-04-04..I was very impressed w/ the amt. of pain that I had the 1st day-little to none due to the block. Then the 2nd day I HAD to be on my feet nearly all day & was bearing weight (partially w/ cane) on the foot but tried to walk on the opposite side that the surgery was done on. I paid dearly for it the next day, therefore forcing complete rest ..I have used the ice packs 15 min. on 15 min. off & up until now felt I was following a normal course. I have severe, dark bruising, most marked on all of my toes & the opposite side of the foot than where the surgery was done (normal?)
BUT TODAY, 5 days post-op my foot continues to swell-it is more swollen than it has been since the surgery..HUGE! -More so on the opposite side, and it is throbbing!! I hope that I didn't damage it the day after the surgery when I was up & about like I was.. I don't understand why it keeps swelling, or why the swelling is worse in the area that had no surgery. Any advice or sharing would be GREATLY appreciated! Trying to hold off on the call to the doc as long as possible ...I go back for post-op visit tomorrow afternoon. Thanks in advance...

Old 12-06-2004, 01:56 PM   #2

verylongday HB User
Re: BUNIONECTOMY: HOW MUCH SWELLING & PAIN IS NORMAL POST OP?

ALOT of swelling is normal. Now, I would think you should have stayed off yoru feet for several days (I was told it was a must), I was only allowed up to goto the rest room and grab food. Thats it. But my foot swelled IMMENSLY and yes, it was totally bruised from the surgery (even a month out now there is still a bit of discoloration that is slowly fading away). The bruising scared me badly because I didnt expect it, but the doc said it was normal.

My problem was that the bandaging was on too tightly (my foot swelled more than expected). I was in so much pain on day 3 that I called the doc in the middle of the night (he reassured me that it was ok and he'd rather me call than do something stupid). He told me to cut off the bandages and that helped ease the pain somewhat.

I had bad swelling for a week, and it started fading from there. I will warn you that even a month out I still can swell pretty bad if I am on my feet alot. I think the trick is to TAKE IT EASY ;-)

And you should call your doc, that is what they are there for!

Hope it all goes well :-)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2004, 02:25 PM   #3
(female)

shellie562 HB User
Smile Re: BUNIONECTOMY: HOW MUCH SWELLING & PAIN IS NORMAL POST OP?

Thanks so much for the sharing~~ this board has truly been a "God send"...I read your post & started thinking the bandage is too tight (esp. w/ the swelling) so I gave the doc a call & he wants me to meet him @ the local ER after dinner, he said I should have called earlier (like yesterday) but he was very nice about it.
I have tried Motrin 3x's today to no avail....I am afraid that I am going to have to ask for a refill on the pain meds, at least for a few more days, as I am heading back to work tomorrow (supposed to have gone today)..I feel like such a big BABY-I actually sat down & cried this a.m. I am soooo used to GOING, GOING, GOING- & this has put me out of commission! Questions: How long before the pain can be controlled w/ OTC meds? (I hate the way the others make me feel) AND, if u don't mind....how long before your stitches came out & the bandages came off permanently?
Thanks again for your sharing. I hope that all continues to go well for you & that the swelling continues to diminish! I
Prayers ,
Shellie

Old 12-06-2004, 03:44 PM   #4
(female)

mediamom HB User

Are you elevating and icing? I'm 5 days post-op and today is the first day that I stopped elevation and ice. However, I will go back to it when/if pain swelling returns. I'm so surprised you were on your foot the day after surgery. Must have been really painful -- or that nerve block was mighty powerful. You'll be seeing the doc shortly so you'll know if you did any damage but generally, I've been told to stay off my feet for two weeks (I had both done) except for going to the bathroom.

In terms of your current discomfort, elevate, ice (try frozen peas) and take your pain meds if that doesn't help. Motrin or Advil will also help with swelling (doc gave me an RX for motrin, 600 mg, which really helps).

Hang in there and pamper that foot!

Old 12-06-2004, 06:07 PM   #5

ojoscafes HB User

I had A LOT of swelling with my first surgery (right foot) in June. I stayed in bed and elevated and iced my foot for the first 7 days but continued to have swelling and pain for about 5 weeks. At 6 & 7 weeks the swelling was noticibly less except at the end of the day when my foot would throb with pain from the swelling. Oh yes, my foot had a lot of brusing and looked purple for about 6 weeks. With my second surgery (my left foot) in September and I am happy to report that experienced very little swelling. I still stayed in bed for the first week and only got up to use the bathroom. I also iced and elevated religiously. My experience between the two operations was like night and day and although I still have a little swelling but all in all, I am very happy with the results. My suggestion is to elevate as much as possible.

Old 12-07-2004, 10:58 AM   #6

EMG HB User

I was off script pain meds at 7 days. & I dont take any OTC for foot pain. but then I didnt stand all day the day after surgery!!! you did this to yourself! now behave! bandages can come off 2-3 wks post op to shower then rebandage. you wont be in a shoe for 6-7 wks & then I wore a mens 10 EEEE for 2 wks. dont get in a hurry, it will just set you back.

Old 12-07-2004, 01:59 PM   #7
(female)

shellie562 HB User
Exclamation Re: BUNIONECTOMY: HOW MUCH SWELLING & PAIN IS NORMAL POST OP?

In my defense...I was robbed (armed) just a few hours before my surgery (Thursday) @ my job (I do marketing management & retail admin. asst)..I had agreed to 3rd shift for 2 weeks so I could still get my job done while I was healing...1st night on 3rd, I was robbed @ gunpoint...so the time that I was on my foot that Fri. was @ the police station doing composites, looking @ videos, etc. YOU HAVE to cooperate regardless of your condition!!! I would have never intentionally, or by choice, have "done this to myself"...I was simply doing what was required....My suffering wasn't in vain, the guy had robbed 3 stores in the 2 hrs. prior to mine, 30 miles away & I was able to identify him, therefore he was charged with all 3...

Last edited by shellie562; 12-07-2004 at 02:01 PM.

Old 12-07-2004, 02:01 PM   #8

verylongday HB User

I was given a script for Perkoset which i ended up allergic too. . . so I just was told to take 600mg of MOtrin (thats three tablets), every 6 hours. It wasnt perfect but it eased the swelling which eased the pain.

Hope your doing better now!!! I can related to the Going Going Going type -- that's totally me and there were times that I totally wigged out (more over that than the pain). But I am only 5 weeks out and getting back to normal! I am exercising again and will resume dance classes soon as well. I still swell, but its controlable and not as intense. there is hope! :-)

Old 12-07-2004, 02:06 PM   #9
(female)

shellie562 HB User

Thanks long day, I saw the doc today & he was very upset @ the condition of my foot..He gave me a good scolding & told me to stay completely off the foot @ all costs!...He said my swelling is 3x's more than it should be..but he did do x-rays & all of the pins are still in place (THANK GOD!)...He gave me enough pain meds to carry me thru the 1st few days back @ work..As for the reaction you had, I am allergic to several meds & reactions are very SCARY...I am SO glad that you are doing better (I have read your previous threads/posts)..I will keep you in my prayers..thanks for your advice!......Shellie

Closed Thread