It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 12:25 AM   #1
(female)

Chloe1208 HB User
Foot Surgery for flat foot

I'm not sure of the medical terms for this condition, but I have feet that flatten out when I put weight on them. I went to a podiatrist who said that it was congenital (he x-rayed them) and I have a bone in my second toe (tarsel? )that is too long. He said I could opt to have surgery to correct this. It would also help my bunions which are starting to form. He does not push surgery unless you really want it. He gave me some inserts which seem to help. My initial problem was when I wear "good" shoes, heels, (even low ones) My feet hurt terribly and I can't wear them for more than an hour or two max. With the inserts I can wear them all day. I don't have problems with sandels or tennis shoes.

Has anyone out there dealt with this? He didn't say anything about tendons, just the bone shortening. My mother and grandmother have awful bunions, they always said it was from wearing high heels. I have never worn heels except on occasion.

Chloe

Old 12-10-2004, 11:28 PM   #2
(male)

rob77 HB User
Re: Foot Surgery for flat foot

I would be really interested too in this surgery you mentioned Chloe. I have been having problems with flat feet for around 10 years now and have so many problems walking and standing its starting to get me down. At the moment I just cant seem to find any shoes that feel comfortable and it's effecting my work where I have to stand all day. I've had 2 pairs of custom insoles made now but still I have pains all over my body and feet when I'm at work. Anyone shed any light onto this??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2004, 09:38 AM   #3
(male)

daxmargo HB User

There are a number of different conditions that create "flat feet" which are congenital, so the best thing would be to visit an orthopedic surgeon ti determine exactly what your is. The surgery is different for different causes. Some surgeriesd are an easy recovery, some not. If it is a toe bone shortening i hear it is not such a bad recovery, if it is an ankle fusion and rebuilding of the arch.. thasts a looooooong one. So make sure you know what you are getting into.

Old 12-12-2004, 05:47 PM   #4

wubbogirl HB User

i'm also curious but if the surgery will cure yours or my pain it maybe worth it.

Closed Thread