It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 05:03 PM   #1

Cindyn2003 HB User
Need Help Desperately!!!!

Hi. I don't know if any of you remember me but I posted here a while ago about being diagnosed with a navicular fracture and ruptured peroneal tendon. I'm going through workers comp so this has been a nightmare to say the least.
I finally got the approval for surgery and had it on Monday the 29th. My doctor went in to repair the peroneal tendon and while repairing it also found that one of the ligaments in that area had come away from the ankle bone and he repaired that as well. He did NOT fix the fracture yet because they are on opposite sides of my foot and he also thinks that being in a cast after this surgery will possibly fix the fracture on its own.
Anyways, I had the surgery on Monday, woke up from the anesthesia in a cast. Was told to come see the doctor on Thursday for a follow up--which I did. At that time he knocked on my cast and said "does that hurt" and I said "not really" and he said "ok, no sign of infection then--see me in 3 more weeks and we'll remove the cast and stitches and go from there". I've never in my life heard of having stitches in for a MONTH....have you??? Also, I'm not starting to get some really weird stinging sensations just below my ankle--of course I can't see if the incission is ok or not because of the cast---should I ask the doctor to remove the cast and check the incission or is it safe for me to wait 3 more weeks to have it looked at again??
Thanks for any help/advice you can give me. Oh and by the way--I'm NWB'ing for the next 3 weeks as well.....

Thanks,
Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2004, 05:55 PM   #2
(male)

Bigdog Two HB User
Re: Need Help Desperately!!!!

Are you running a fever of 101 or higher? I think that is one of the main signs of infection. Did they give you antibiotics at the hospital after the surgery?

I had surgery 2 weeks ago for ligament tightening, some bone removal and peroneal tendon repair. I had the post-surgical cast/splint thing removed at the 10 day mark (4 days ago). It was nice to see it, so I can understand you having some worry about what is going on underneath the cast. For days prior to having the cast changed I mentally associated my various pains with infection. I had arthroscopic surgery on the same ankle 3 months ago and one of the incision sites got infected so I was sure that with these bigger incisions the Dr. was going to take the cast off and it was going to be all green and full of puss. But it looked fine - the pains I was having were obviously related to the repairs.

I get sort of itching and sort of stinging sensations in my ankle. They are right below and right in front of my lateral malleolus. That, of course, is where the ligaments they fixed were. The stinging sensation comes and goes. Is that what you are having? I have other types of pain from time-to-time.

I am also NWB for 3 weeks and then weight bearing as tolerated for 3 weeks. Fun stuff - good times.

Old 12-08-2004, 05:10 PM   #3

Cindyn2003 HB User

Oh my gosh--it sounds like we have gone through the same exact thing. Its so amazing how doctors do things differently--like you were out of the cast much quicker.
Anyways, my pains and things sound just like you were describing--itching, stinging, etc...
I did get antibiotics in the hospital through my IV and then an additional 5 day supply for out of the hospital but I'm finished with those.
I broke down and called my doctor this morning and he said what I am describing sounds like "normal healing" so I'm relieved to hear that.

Thanks,
Cindy

Old 12-08-2004, 06:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

After my surgery I was in this huge surgical bandage for a week, then got it changed to a cast. I was supposed to have that cast on for two weeks, then get the stitches out and a new cast. After one week the swelling had gone down a lot and with the extra room the stitches were rubbing on the inside of the cast. I called the doc and they said it was normal, but it still really bothered me. So I called again and they brought me in two weeks after surgery to take off the cast and check the stitches. The doctor decided that they were healed up enough to take them out after two weeks instead of three, which was a good thing because I healed quickly and it kind of hurt! But anyway, I felt much better in the new cast when it wasn't bothering my stitches.

So it is probably just normal, but if it really bothers you, get them to do something about it. Good luck.

Old 12-09-2004, 07:45 AM   #5
(male)

Bigdog Two HB User

Cindy:

It is interesting how every doctor does it differently. I did got my stiches out at 10 days at the time they put on a new cast. The incisions looked great and were closed at that time.

Closed Thread