It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2004, 06:50 AM   #1

gator4113 HB User
Peroneal tendon recovery

Hi Folks,
I have posted a few times and your answers have been most helpful. I had a peroneal tendon repaired on the 5th of November. I am now in a walking boot and go back to the OS next Tuesday for checkup and I believe to be put in a lace up brace- which I believe means I will be back in at least a sneaker. I have not put full wieght on the ankle since before the surgery. I have put some weight on my heel. Just wondering what to expect. What about rehab - anyone done PT for this? PT- up until this week was to flex the foot foward and back and very little side to side. Thanks!

Old 12-10-2004, 11:18 AM   #2

Cindyn2003 HB User
Re: Peroneal tendon recovery

Hi. I had my peroneal tendon surgery on November 29th. You're way ahead of me so unfortunately I cannot give you any advice.
I was put in a cast immediately following the surgery. Went back to OS 4 days post op and he did nothing--I see him again on the 23rd to remove cast and stiches and he said at that point I will go back into the walking boot and "hopefully start walking" (his words).
All doctors seem to do things differenty--for example my stitches will stay in for a little over 3 weeks and my OS has not mentioned PT at all......

Thanks,
Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2004, 11:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

Yeppers, a lace-up brace will put you in sneakers next! I had my repair over a year ago and found PT to be extremely helpful. First they will be working on your ROM and possibly some strengthening exercises. I found that the strengthening exercises really helped me to build my confidence back up when walking, especially on uneven surfaces. You will find putting full weight on your ankle will hurt, I even had to force myself to stop favoring it while standing (I'd put all my weight on the other foot). I kept doing that and it made a huge improvement in my endurance and walking.

Cindy, I went for three weeks before having my stitches out, so it is not that unusual. Be sure to ask for PT if your OS does not mention it, you will find it extremely helpful in your recovery.

Good luck both of you! -eko

Old 12-12-2004, 05:52 PM   #4

gator4113 HB User

Eko thanks for the reply. What was it like to actually put weight on your ankle? Did you feel shaky on your ankle? I have not been working and will be heading back to work the middle of the week - any suggestions? Thanks

Old 12-13-2004, 05:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

I was really nervous about putting weight on my ankle and had pain in the beginning. I did it slowly, I started around the house where I could hold onto furniture if I needed to. I use crutches at work for a while, moving off of them for short distances and as I felt stronger and my endurance built up I'd go with out them around the office. The only problem I had was when I was walking on loose gravel and I rolled the ankle, that is where PT came into play providing exercises for strengthening and balance. In the beginning I could not even keep my balance on that leg, so I went to PT and did my exercises at home and at work when I could.

I don't know what kind of work environment you have, I found slow but steady was the way to go.

Good Luck! -eko

Old 12-13-2004, 06:55 AM   #6

gator4113 HB User

Eko, once again thanks for the info. I am getting nervous about putting weight on this foot, but I know that is how it will get better. I am a district manager for a division of Gap Inc. - so I have been out for five weeks already and this is our busiest time of year! I have been using crutches with the boot for long distances - guess I should ask the doc whether I should use them again. I will be on my feet most of the day - not that much office work at this time of year. I am thinking that I may need to ease back into this slowly maybe a half day at first? I know now when I step wrong with the boot it hurts, so I know the unlevel surfaces will not be fun for a while.

Old 08-22-2005, 04:50 PM   #7
(female)

ready2talk2000 HB User

Anyone check here for messages anymore?

I had peroneal tendon repair surgery and a bunionectomy 4 weeks ago on my left foot. Since that time, things have progressed somewhat. However, if I get up, on my crutches, for even a short time such as to go to the bathroom, my foot gets very red and almost purple. Is this normal?

My stitches have not been absorbed yet and I still have the strips of tape there also. Will I be weight bearing soon? I am just wondering how long "possibly" to understand that I might continue to be off work. I teacher elem. Music and PE. I stand all day long.

Thanks for any insight anyone can give me!

Deb

Old 08-22-2005, 05:42 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

Deb,
Hi, I am on my second peroneal tendon repair. Gator4113 was my first one. Ittook me awhile to work up to being on my feet all day. This time it was my right foot, so I couldn't drive for six weeks, so that keep me down longer. I went back to work at six weeks on the first one and worked half days for the first two weeks back. The swelling stays around for awhile. I had this one done the middle of May and it still can swell at times. I would suggest PT - it really helps with the range of motion and the strengthening they do reallly makes you feel stable on your ankle. I am still doing PT for this one, I have been going for about 6 weeks and probably have about four more to go. Ask any questions you want. Make sure to elevate and listen to the foot.
Nancy

Old 08-23-2005, 05:31 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2talk2000
Anyone check here for messages anymore?

I had peroneal tendon repair surgery and a bunionectomy 4 weeks ago on my left foot. Since that time, things have progressed somewhat. However, if I get up, on my crutches, for even a short time such as to go to the bathroom, my foot gets very red and almost purple. Is this normal?

Deb
Deb, I gotta ask, did you have the bunion surgery because you were having the tendon repaired, so may as well do both at once? If so, that was my thinking, otherwise I would not have not the bunion surgery when I did.

I went back to work at about six weeks, but I am not on my feet all day. As Nancy recommends, PT was the way to go. It really help with regaining ROM and strengthing the ankle, especially since you are a teacher and on your feet all day.

Talk to your Dr., see what his recommendations are as far as going back to work. My guess would be eight weeks. Good luck! -eko

Old 08-23-2005, 09:27 AM   #10
(female)

ready2talk2000 HB User

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it a bunch. Today is not a good day. The pain meds and anesthesia have worn off and I am getting anxious...inactivity is not my daily routine, I have been stopped dead in my tracks!!

Yes, I did have the bunionectomy done at the same time since I was having the tendon repair. I have had gout and many years of problems with the bunion, but would have needed it soon anyway, definitely did NOT want to go through this twice. At least that was one wise thought, I think?

I know the tendon repair was pretty serious, it was the peroneal tendons on the outside of the ankle. And, I had the nerve that was in the middle of the tendons and in the way, so he kept having to move it around to work. The area of repair was about an inch long.

My problem right now is lack of circulation in the foot. It really looks dark red, almost purple just to get up on the crutches to go to the bathroom. I just need to know if this is normal? I have called my doctor's office, but the nurse was a little like "Honey, you just had surgery, yes, that is normal". I felt like I was putting her out to ask. I do have an appointment for checkup this Fri. 26th, so he will see it for himself. I am just worried I could lose function or worse of the foot.

I know I have some peripheral neuropathy in that foot, I have had gout in it also in the past. And, for several months before the surgery, I would have an extremely cold foot that I needed a sock on to sleep at night. It wasn't all the time, just sometimes. I had seen several doctors for it, but nobody knew or cared what it was. So, I am having a hard time deciding if this is in fact just normal, or if the surgery did it, or if it existed before the surgery and is just worse now....

So, anyone who has had ankle surgery/bunionectomy, did your foot change color when on cruthces to the bathroom??????

Thanks again for helping me....I imagine I am just getting impatient. Will work on some school stuff and pick out Christmas music for my concert this afternoon. Maybe that will make me feel better, or at least distract me for a little bit....Ha!

Everyone have a good day!

Deb

Old 08-23-2005, 04:46 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

Deb,
It is hard to stay inactive. But keep off of it as much as you can. It will change colors when you put it down and use the crutches, I couldn't see mine, I was in a cast for the first few weeks, although I could feel everything start to swell up, if it was down too long. I go to the doctor tomorrow, it has been about three months, still some slight swellling, and not much strength, but we are on the cusp of strengthening in PT and they need his approval before they let me do more. Make sure to write your questions down for the doctor and take them with you, it is hard to remember everything when you are at the office. Take care and ice and elevate.
Nancy

Old 08-31-2005, 08:45 AM   #12
(female)

ready2talk2000 HB User

Thanks for the encouraging words. The swelling and color are getting better, it just doesn't take any time at all to turn really dark red....If not elevated...

So, have tried to elevate almost continuously. I am near full weight bearing. Am doing partial weight bearing for these 2 weeks. Right now it is difficult to imagine standing on it normally. I am going to schedule PT sessions today on the phone. Might be different since it is for tendon and bunionectomy at the same time. Time will tell.

Thanks for chatting and hope your situation is improving!!!

Deb

Closed Thread