It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2004, 06:04 PM   #1

jmullahy HB User
Fusion Problems

I am now 12 weeks post-op from big toe fusion (1st MPJ). I went from the walking boot to shoes this week and I am quite surprised by how much my foot hurts. I have to say, it feels worse than before I decided to have surgery, and that was quite bad (I had silicon implant pieces that ate the bone). I am curious how long it took other people for the pain to subside once they went to shoes. I had the toe fused with a bone graft from my ankle. I was in a cast for almost 8 weeks (up to just below my knee) and the wlaking boot for 4.

Additionally, I noticed right before my doctor's visit, in trying out shoes first, that I had a very large bump on the bottom of my foot that is not sore to touch, but quite sore to walk on. The doctor could not tell what it was since it did not show on x-ray. He thinks the joint capsule might have slipped when the pins were removed. He thinks he will have to go in and remove whatever it is. It's on odd feeling walking in stocking fee. It feels hard to touch, but has a slight bubble feel when walking. Though in all, it has the rock in your shoe feeling.

Although the crutches and boot sucked, I do have to say it was nice being almost pain free for the first time in 4 years, but walking in shoes and barefeet now is the pits.

Has anyone had similar problems?

Old 12-12-2004, 11:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
Re: Fusion Problems

I am sorry to hear that your are having problems after your fusion. How odd that you have a bump possibly from the joint capsule slipping. It seems to me that it should have been removed since there is no joint. Anyway, it took about six months for my foot to feel normalized. When the weather changes I still sometimes have a nagging pain when walking on the point of fusion, but it has gotten better. I still don't like walking barefoot, it feels funny, but shoes are good.

Is your Dr. going to order an MRI to see what it is on the bottem of your foot, or just operate? Well, I hope that things improve for you. Take care! -eko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2004, 07:40 PM   #3

jdm HB User

I understand your situation. I had a fusion with a bone graft (from hip) after having a titanium joint removed. I have the same bump under my foot. I do OK in shoes but can no longer walk barefoot. I was told at one point it might have something to do with the seismoid bone.

Also, are you going to have physical therapy? I went to P.T. for about 2 months and it was the best thing I did. I still have some pain, my surgery was last Feb. but overall, it was the best decision. I did.

One more question, what kind of shoes are you wearing? My dr. told me to match the shoe to the foot aliment. Since our feet don't bend, we do better in stiffer shoes. My dr. actually told me that Sketchers was a ggod shoe due to stiffness and the wide toe box.

Also, are you going to wear orthodics? I have just recently gotten mine redone since this surgery. I have to be honest, it has taken me longer to adjust to this pair than my others, but it does make my feet feel better.

Hope this advice helps. Feel free to ask any other questions.

jdm

Old 12-14-2004, 06:53 PM   #4

jmullahy HB User

Thanks for the reply.

My doctor thinks I it is best to shave the bone some. It is hard and pronounced, sticking out. It is a very wierd feeling walking barefoot. It feels hard but yet has a bubble type feel and is sore only walking.

My problems with my foot has been a long painful ordeal, full of bad surgeries and opinions. I had a keller bunionectomy when I was 18 that did not heal, followed by a silicon implant a few months after. The implant worked quite well until it gave out about 17 years later. Pretty good considering I am a runner (did about 30 miles a week over that period). However, once it gave out it was all downhill. My 2nd toe shifted and overlapped my first, mainly because it was an inch longer. A podiatrist suggested shortening the 2rd, 3rd and 4th toes. A bad move. He didn't plan it well, and opened the 2nd two 3 times to shorten the bone. I ended up with too short of a toe and little tissue left. I had to use Regranix to try and grow some on the open wound. He sent me to physical therapy with the wound open so that I could work on the other toes, and a piece of bone came up thru the wound. I had to have that shaved. Then I got a bone infection that went undected for 2 months. I had that taken care of. Once that healed, it turned out shortening the toes didn't work. The metatarsal heads hurt just as much as before the surgery. Several other doctor's suggested shaving the heads a little to give me relief. A bone spur grew. Then my big toe got real sore, and it turned out that the stem of the silicon implant was left in when I supposedly had it cleaned out when the implant gave out, and the stem erroded much of the bone. Which led to the fusion. And here I am now with another failed surgery. Though the doctor doesn't think it is too serious, but don't they all. He was shocked when he felt my foot, given that I was having xrayed throughout the time spent in the cast and boot.

Over the past 3 years I have seen at least 15 doctors here in Boston, with so many varying opinions all involving surgeries of some sort. I was just hoping I finally found someone who knew what they were doing. Now I'm left with a fused big toe, shortened toes, missing toe nails, and an incredibly sore foot. People think I got it caught in a tractor is so hideous.

I do wear orthotics and I have since the bunionectomy, though I'm not sure what benefits they have since all this occurred, including the overlapping of my toes, while wearing them.

While I obviously don't have a good opinion of the medical community, it just seems like there should be better standards of care and oversight.

Sorry for the long answer, I was just praying for better results this time.

Oh well.

Closed Thread