It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2004, 05:20 PM   #1
(female)

jakcpk HB User
bunion surgery good news!

I read so many horror stories on the web and even freaked myself out about the surgery so bad. It was no big deal. Seriously...I went in, had the surgery stayed off my feet for days and I am doing so good. I went to the doc on Monday as I had the surgery on Thursday and couldn't believe my eyes. Barely any swelling, hardly any bruising. Don't get me wrong, it hurts but so much better than I thought. The only thing I would suggest besides ice packs is one of those plastic foot protectors for the shower and a bucket like a home depot bucket with lid to sit on in the shower. Other than that all is great. Even putting some weight on it now. So, to anyone coming up with bunion surgery my experience is not bad at all. Listen to your body....Hope this takes some fear away from someone!

Last edited by jakcpk; 12-14-2004 at 05:26 PM.

Old 12-15-2004, 02:38 PM   #2
(female)

mediamom HB User
Re: bunion surgery good news!

That's wonderful. I also just had double bunion surgery (both feet) and my recovery this time around (had same procedure last January) has been far easier. All I can think is the technique of the surgeon has a lot to do with recovery. I also credit the fiberglass mini casts on my feet, as these protect my feet from accidental bumping and make sleeping much easier. Last time around (with just bandages), my feet were so sensitive that even a sheet touching them was painful. Now I can lay on my side, have blankets, and I don't have to worry about my doggies jumping on me! Also helps provide support when I walk (hobble!!).

My pod said he didn't think I'd need a lot of pain meds and I was pretty skeptical (did last time). Well he was right! It's really nice when you get a pleasant surprise isn't it!?

Heal well and don't overdo walking on that foot. Even if it doesn't hurt much, those bones are still healing and the last thing you want is a recurrence (like I had).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2004, 11:12 PM   #3
(female)

greenflash HB User

I've been to two podiatrists who want to cut my Achilles tendon in addition to doing the bunion surgery, to prevent my pronation, which is the underlying cause of my bunion. I am concerned about being layed up for a long time and both told me that I would have to stay off the foot with absolutely no pressure for about one week. I recently dicovered this web site [URL=http://www.drmoy.com]Dr. Moy[/URL] and was very interested in the technique. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has been to Dr. Moy as to their experiences. And also to jakcpk and marketingmom -- were your procedures similar to what Dr. Moy does? Does anyone else use this technique as shown on his web site? Thanks!

Old 12-19-2004, 05:00 PM   #4
(female)

mediamom HB User

Greenflash,
I'm afraid I can't give you any input regarding the achiles tendon or this particular doctor. I've also never heard of the connection between the achiles tendon and bunions and no doc ever mentioned this to me. However, we're all different. As for being off your feet, this is just part of having bunion surgery. I was told the only weight bearing I could do for the first two weeks was to go to the bathroom or bathe (just what is necessary). My casts also helped protect my feet. I'm now at 3 weeks post-op and can do some walking (still casted) but not much before having pain. In general, I've learned that some docs recommend very limited weight bearing (or none at all) and some allow you to bear weight "as tolerated"---my first surgeon, the orthopod, had this approach.

My best advice is don't trust a surgeon just because he has a website or promises new or innovative techniques. Go with those docs who have been performing bunion procedures for a very long time (and very many) and whose techniques are proven and accepteds standard by podiatry or orthopedic experts. You can also ask your potential surgeon for references (his own patients) as well ask how many times he's performed the procedure and what his success rate is.

Best to be overly cautious before moving forward with any procedure. As someone whose had to do this bunion thing twice, I learned the hard way!

Best of luck.

Closed Thread