It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2004, 10:18 PM   #1
(female)

coopere3 HB User
tips for crutches with snow on the ground

Hi, I posted earlier about having surgery for a flexor hallucis release and os trigonum removal, and I am also going to have a bone spur removed from the anterior medial part of the ankle. My surgery is scheduled for Jan. 3rd, one week before classes start up again. I go to school in Michigan, so there will probably be snow on the ground. I should not be on crutches for too long, 2 weeks at the most, but I am scared that I am going to fall. Not only that, I have had 3 shoulder surgeries. If anyone has any tips that would be awesome. Thanks so much,
Liz

Old 12-15-2004, 04:12 AM   #2
(male)

Bigdog Two HB User
Re: tips for crutches with snow on the ground

I had a bone spur removed from the anterior medial part of my ankle as well as some tibia shaved off in August and was only on crutches for 4 days. Hopefully, you won't be on crutches much and can stay inside?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2004, 09:07 AM   #3
(female)

coopere3 HB User

Well, staying inside would be a good plan, except for the fact that I will have classes. I don't see the doc until after classes start again, and I am on crutches until then. So, I am going to have to go outside sometime
Thanks,
Liz

Old 12-15-2004, 12:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Check with your school to see if they have any services through their disability office. I was able to get a golf cart to drive me around between all my classes. Even if it's not too far for you to make it, that would cut down on the distance you had to walk outside and your risk for falling.

Also, watch out for wet floors inside the buildings by the entrances.

Last edited by kehorner; 12-15-2004 at 12:25 PM.

Old 12-15-2004, 08:46 PM   #5

spacey_11 HB User

See if you can get rides while you are outside... unless there is icy snow, you should be ok cause the ground is rough enough to keep you from slipping. The problem comes when you go inside buildings with hard floors and wet crutch tips. If you walk, putting all your weight on them, you will most likely slip, which is bad. This is not as big a problem if you are PWB cause you can usually catch yourself. So, I found that when I went inside, wiping my crutch tips on the toes of my shoes dried them off enough to keep me from slipping. I came back from spring break after having ankle surgery, and in snowed three inches in MARCH!! I was not happy, but survived trapsing through it... you will be ok. Good luck!!!

Old 12-20-2004, 07:06 PM   #6
Inactive

johnZ HB User

Go to the pharmacy for a new pair of crutch tips. Run a wood screw through each one and put the new modified ones on before you go out. That is exactly what I did and it worked great. Just stop when you get indoors to pull off the modified tips and reinstall the normal ones. It took me just seconds to change them out.

Old 12-21-2004, 10:21 AM   #7
(female)

coopere3 HB User

Thanks John-I was actually just looking online for the ice tips. Do you recommend a certain kind? Can you get them a local at a local pharmacy or should I order them online? Thanks for your help.
-Liz

Old 12-25-2004, 11:58 PM   #8
Inactive

johnZ HB User

I just took my crutches up to Walgreens and asked for replacement tips and they brought me out a selection of sizes and sold me two that fit correctly. I took them home, ran screws through them, removed the existing tips from my cruthches and put the new pointed tips on. There is probably a million bucks in designing a crutch tip that has a sharp, extendable ice point.

Closed Thread