It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2004, 06:12 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User
sesamoid removal

Help........I need any info on this. I cant seem to find much on the net for it.Any info would be great.
thank you ,

Sue

Old 12-16-2004, 02:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User
Re: sesamoid removal

I had a sesamoid removed years ago because I had fractured it and it never healed. I went about 5 years and did fine but evenyually other sesamoid in that foot shifted and I had to have it removed as well. I began to have joint problems and all kikds of pain in my foot...ended up having yet another surgery to clean out the joint and thought that would be the end of it. I am now having my big toe fused because the pain is getting very bad. I am having it done on the 29th...
I guess what I am saying is make sure your Dr knows what he is doing...why are you having it removed? Ask about problems later on as a result od losing that sesamoid...as far as I understand from my DR they act as like a shock does on a car, they absorb the impact as well as make the big toe functional. I did do well for many years, I work on my feet though and the wear and tear finally got to me. Ask your Dr alot of questions, I wish I had then like I do now but live and learn. I will try to answer any questions I can......Go to google...type in sesamiod bone removal.....pulls up alot of pages that may help you.
dlh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2004, 06:57 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

Hi,
I think you had replied to my other post before. But I went to see another dr yesterday and he also said that he would remove it.I originally had bunion surgery and the first dr cut a tendon which has damaged the sesamoid. I live in pain from morning to night, I cant stand it anymore. Thank you for the info. What kind of recovery and how did they remove it? I have tons of questions.
Sue

Old 12-17-2004, 05:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

sue,

I think I did reply to your other post too now that you mention it...too much on my mind I guess..ha ha. The recovery wasn't too bad really, I was 2 weeks non weight bearing the first time, had a surgical shoe for 4 weeks then by week 6 in sneakers. I also had 6 weeks of PT that made a huge difference. They gave me a local and I was lightly sedated, I remember the whole thing though, 45 minutes. They cut the top of the toe(about an inch also on my foot) and just cut out the bone. As I said, I did well for about 5 years. Ask as many questions as you like...if we have to go throught his we might as well help others that are going through similar surgeries!!
dlh

Old 12-18-2004, 04:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

Hi,
Can I ask did a podiatrist or orthopedic(sp)Dr. do the surgery? I have been to both and was wondering which would be better. They both recommended the same surgery.They are also going to do something with the ligaments/tendons in my toe. The Dr that I saw Wed. said that I would be in a cast for 4 weeks then I would be fitted for a boot?All I know is I want to get this over ans I'm not looking forward to being out of work for gosh knows how long.With the first surgery I was out for 8 weeks and the last surgery I was out for 4 months due to an infection.I know you said you spend a lot of time on your feet? Me too , I'm on them at work from 8-5 and I work in a supermarket so the floors are cement. I climb,squat,kneel,stretch and almost run all day. My feet are BEAT.

Old 12-22-2004, 06:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

I went with the podiatrist...also with my surgery next week. I saw a few ortho's when I was having all the sesamoid trouble and they were not as confident it seemed. But then it could have just been the DR's I saw too. Go with your gut, you have been through this before. I also had a pod mess up my foot from surgery...I ended up back to the one who did it right to fix that. Just stay off your feet as long as they say, that concrete will kill you!! I renovate homes, also alot of hard floors and ladders and such, I tend to baby my feet after a surgery...I learned the hard way. I saw your new post, alot of advice.....good luck and as I said, go with your gut. Let us know how it goes!
dlh

Old 12-22-2004, 03:05 PM   #7
(female)

ASUgirl HB User

Hi, I had one of my sesamoids removed this past April, following two surgical procedures to fix a bunion. It needed to come out because it was very badly rubbing up against my metatarsal head and was very painful. It was an orthopedic surgeon that performed it, and since a podiatrist performed the very first surgery that yield two more corrective surgeries, I would never go to a podiatrist again. My recovery was 2-3 weeks on crutches because it was cut on the bottom of the foot and recovery is usually not considered bad because all they do is go in and remove, not mess with other things besides pushing aside to get to it, but since then have had no major problems...Wishing you the best of luck and hoped this helped, ASUgirl

Closed Thread