It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2004, 11:56 PM   #1
(female)

FunEFoot HB User
Recovering from Surgery; Anyone have an osteotomy with fibular sesamoid removal?

I'm currently 4 days post op and I am doing pretty well. I had an osteotomy (not exactly sure which one) with one screw inserted, which will probably be permanent, pending my reaction to it, and partial removal of the sesamoid, particularly the fibular sesamoid. I have kept my foot elevated for about 23 out of 24 hours of the day and I do not have any pain anymore, except for when i stand up and the blood rushes into the foot I get a bit of a poofy throbbing sensation, but from what I've read this is normal. I was sent home with a post op shoe, and some crutches for the first few days. The doctor told me to start moving my toe as soon as possible. In terms of the pain, it was only bad the first day, at this point I don't need the pain killers anymore. So far so good, but I am now worried about the removal of the sesamoid. I have flat feet and I started out with a moderate bunion on my left foot. I was wondering if anyone had an osteotomy with removal of the fibular sesamoid and experienced hallux varus (deviation of the big toe outwards in the opposite direction experienced from the bunion) afterwards. I am now worried that the big toe will go in the opposite direction from all the stuff that I have read online. I know it is far too soon to know if this will happen but I wouldn't want to have the opposite problem after going through all of this. I'm going back to school in two weeks, hopefully I'll be able to do some standing without the blood rushing throbbing feeling. I think that since my feet are prone to bunions perhaps this will counteract the lack of the fibular sesamoid which might pull the toe in the opposite direction. Then again, I'm not a doctor. My doctor didn't tell me much of anything, I pretty much learned all I know from internet research. My podiatrist is board certified and is the only female on the board of directors or something like that. She also founded the surgery center 20 years ago where I had the procedure done. So these things alone make me a little less scared. She must be good then. HAHA If anyone could give me any insight on this it would be much appreciated! Other than all the worrying I have been doing about possible complications of sesamoid removal, everything seems fine, and if I continue to get better at the rate I am now, I think i might be out of the post op show in four weeks, ready to wear some comfortable tennis shoes.

Last edited by FunEFoot; 12-20-2004 at 12:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2004, 07:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User
Re: osteotomy with fibular sesamoid removal

Hi,
I'm glad to hear that you are doing good so far. I'm due to have my sesamoid removed at the beginning of the year and have been trying to find some info on it but not much here.I also have to have some ligament repair.Well I hope you continue to feel good.

Sue

Old 12-22-2004, 06:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User
Re: Recovering from Surgery; Anyone have an osteotomy with fibular sesamoid removal?

I had both my sesamiods removed at different times and did well for a while. My toe did not move outward...stayed in the same position as always but I am not able to move it down even after weeks of pt. I am now having the joint fused because the pain is very bad.....I have other problems with the foot....remember though I lost both sesamoids. I did very well after the first one, about 5 years until I had any problems. BUT I also work on my feet was real hard on my poor foot. Listen to your DR's and listen to your foot...when it swells sit! I hope everything works out for you...it has been 8 years or so since I lost my sesamoid and my toe never moved and i have no bunion...you should do fine just take care of yourself!
dlh

Closed Thread