It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2004, 04:59 PM   #1

Cindyn2003 HB User
Had surgery--NEED HELP!!!!

Hi again. I had my tendons and ligament surgery almost a month ago. I had my cast taken off and my stitches removed on Thursday. I'm back in that lovely "walking boot" and my doctor says that I can go back to work on the 3rd of January. I'm a teacher and I have winter break right now.
I'm wondering how quickly you all that have had surgery were able to go back to work?? I know everyone is different but at this point I can only stand/walk for about 30 minutes and I'm an elementary school special ed teacher and I'm on my feet atleast 7 hours a day and I'm getting nervous about going back--any words of advice?? My doctor seems to think I will be able to just sit down when I'm feeling pain but as I said, I'm a special ed teacher--I have children in wheelchairs, children in leg braces, etc--I need to assist them all and I'm wondering how I'm going to do that when I can barely stand myself????
Also, I hope you don't mind, but I have a few other questions:

1. How soon did you regain feeling in your foot?? My entire foot is still numb.
2. When I walk on my "bad" foot I feel like I'm walking on gravel/rocks--it really hurts--any idea what that is and when it will go away??
3. Any magical tricks to get rid of the horrible scars??

Thanks for any and all help you can give.

Cindy

Old 12-26-2004, 05:33 PM   #2

gator4113 HB User
Re: Had surgery--NEED HELP!!!!

Cindy,
I had a tendon repair on the 5th of Nov. and only went back to work part time on the 17th of Dec., I am in retail and am on my feet 4 out of 5 days a week. If I had a desk job I would have been able to go back within 10 days. Sounds like you may need to have the doctor reconsider, you need to let him know that you are not comfortable standing for that long. I was only in the cast for 10 days and then my ankle was wrapped in an ace and I was in the walking boot and was weigh bearing as tolerated until I did not need the crutches anymore. I know am in a lace in ankle brace ( it's like a straight jacket for your ankle) that I can wear in a sneaker. I start physical therapy on Tuesday. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2004, 06:25 PM   #3
(male)

Bigdog Two HB User

Cindy:

Are you just now putting weight on it?
I had ligament repair on Nov. 23rd. I am still in a fiberglass cast but have been weightbearing for almost 2 weeks. I found that for the first few days I couldn't walk on it for more than 15 - 20 minutes. It wasn't that it totally killed when I put weight on it at the time - but rather that it would hurt after I got back off it (like an ice pick was sticking in the side of my ankle).

Now it still hurts but I get around pretty well and have totally stopped using crutches. Well enough to get around a classroom? Probably, but it would be pushing it somewhat. I am lucky that I work in an office and was able to return to work after 6 days and hasn't interfered with my work much at all.

I get my cast off in 8 days and will then have an aircast and start PT. It will be interesting to see what moving it will feel like.

Old 12-26-2004, 09:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

After my surgery I started walking at 6 weeks. It was still several weeks after that that I kept it up as much as possible. The numbness can take quite a while, but should get better eventually. I was numb in between two of my toes and it finally came back after a few months. I am still numb in the 1 inch area around the incision. It depends on if the numbness is due to cut nerves (like around the incision) or compressed nerves from swelling (probably the rest of your foot). The compressed nerves will come back faster, the cut nerves may never come back.

The feeling of walking on rocks may be due to shrinking of the fat pads in your foot as well as losing your callouses from being in the cast and not putting any weight on the foot. That was my biggest complaint when I went back to shoes from the boot. I walked 1/2 mile and my ankle felt fine, but my toes were killing me because they were rubbing on my shoe! That should get better over time.

As for going back to work, it's your call. If you need a doctor's note to stay off work longer, discuss your job duties with him and tell him you don't feel that you can start working yet. You could consider getting one of those things that's a substitute for crutches. It's like this platform with a handle that your roll around on. Or you could just use an adjustable-height rolling office chair. That way you could kneel on that and not have to deal with crutches or have the foot hanging all the way down all day. Good luck.

Closed Thread