It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2004, 06:35 AM   #1
(female)

shellie562 HB User
Question BUNIONECTOMY: 3 wks. post op..looks like I have a bunion again-much pain..any advice?

I am 3 wks. post op-bunionectomy with bone removal, pins, and ligament revision. My 1st bandage change was 5 days post-op & my foot (except for swelling) looked remarkable...straight as an edge on the bunion side..my toe was straight & there was for the first time in many years a space between my big toe and its neighbor!..Bandages were changed 2 times (once a week) & the 3rd time he took them off and gave me a small compression bandage that is removable..told me to wear it only when up moving around..to bear weight but only flat footed...The dressing was removed Thursday & by Sunday I had a BIG BUMP on the bunion side of my foot again with unbearable pain! The bump is solid, not swelling & there is a knot on top of my foot--directly over the area with the pins, also my big toe is pulling over to the toe next to it again, actually touching it ...I admittedly "over did" it the 1st few days after surgery & am wondering if the surgery has failed..is the bump a sign that the bones have shifted into their old position? ..I called doc yesterday & he advised me to come in today for x-rays. I just wanted to hear from you knowledgeable people before being faced with that visit today ...Thanks much, Shellie

Old 12-27-2004, 04:51 PM   #2
(female)

mediamom HB User
Re: BUNIONECTOMY: 3 wks. post op..looks like I have a bunion again-much pain..any advice?

Wish I could tell you something positive but sounds like the xray will tell the tale. It's hard to imagine a bunion coming back that quickly. Mine returned after surgery, but it took about 6 months and the movement was gradual. Sure hope you got some answers today. Let us know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2004, 04:52 PM   #3
(female)

ugatah HB User
Re: BUNIONECTOMY: 3 wks. post op..looks like I have a bunion again-much pain..any advice?

Hi Shellie. Sounds weird what's going on with your foot. I had surgery in January, and when the bandages came off my feet were straight. Now I have a very small bump which looks natural. My surgery wasn't successful in terms of pain and stiffness and I am going to get a second opinion soon. I hope your foot improves soon. All the best.

Old 12-28-2004, 05:48 AM   #4
(female)

shellie562 HB User

I went in to the doc yesterday & he said that the pins are not AS embedded as before but certainly still intact. His opinion of the what I thought felt like bone (the bump) is that it is swelling and only "a bit" of the bone..he said it has shifted "minimally" but that it is normal..I am going to wait out his treatment plan but I AM NOT HAPPY WITH IT & I am not usually a negative or complaining person . My x-rays showed that the bone has shifted, not being a doc myself, I have to take his word that it is minimal. As for the pain he told me to take Tylenol & put me on steroids for the inflammation.. Grrrrr @ him! I spent Christmas miserable with pain & it isn't much better now..I have also taken myself out of work until I can bear some weight without pain, although he refused to write me out of work at this point...he said if I was able to go back to work @ 1 wk. post-op I would be fine to continue on.... I am very frustrated w/ how this whole process is going & wouldn't do it again unless they offered to PAY ME!....Thanks & prayers, Shellie

Closed Thread