It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2004, 08:04 AM   #1
(female)

kkkittykat HB User
Help question's on Broken Metatarsal

I fell in my yard 5 weeks ago, and really thought I had just bruised or pulled something in my foot. Could'nt put any pressure on it for 2 weeks and after that used my heel to walk until I could use it a little with limping. Well, 5 weeks later, with my mothers urging, I go to the Doctor. He did xrays, and there,clear as day was a complete break. It is displaced a little and the Doctor said it had not even started to heal yet. He said it was too late for a cast and gave me one of those lovely shoes to wear for 3 weeks till I come back for another xray. He talked about Surgery as a last resort, but it was so hard to read him. I could tell by the look on his face he thought I was an iddiot for not coming sooner. Can anyone explain to me why it would be "too late for a cast" or "too late for it too heal"? I got the feeling he just didn't want to tell me my foot was @#$%&*. He also said I only had to use the shoe for walking, but don't you move it around at night when sleeping? Im so confused and he answered my question's like it was a top secret matter.

Thank You in advance for any help,

kittykat

Old 12-29-2004, 11:12 AM   #2
(female)

storm12 HB User
Re: Help question's on Broken Metatarsal

Which Metatarsal?

I broke my 5th metarsal at the base (near the ankle) this past summer. Before I knew it was actually broken (I had been initially told it was a bad sprain), I could walk on my heel, but it was painful. Luckily it was not misplaced, but I still was in a boot for seven weeks (this began 8 days after the injury). My orthopedist said that if I had continued to walk around on it, it would not have healed for months. I had to even wear the boot to bed - as per his instructions. He initally said four weeks in the boot, but then the time got extened because it didn't heal as fast as he thought it would

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2004, 01:24 PM   #3
(female)

kkkittykat HB User

I believe he said the 3rd metatarsal. The break is at the base also (like yours). Iv'e been walking (limping) on it for weeks, I think I'm gonna wear my shoe to bed even though he said I didn't have to. He also mention something about stimulating growth (? I'm bad about not asking questions at the right time) to the bone before we'd consider surgery. He didn't seemed to be concerned that it was displaced, I think he knows I'm gonna need surgery, but does not want to say it yet!

Thank you for your reply
If anyone else has any advice I would appreciate it!!!

kk

Last edited by kkkittykat; 12-29-2004 at 03:52 PM.

Old 12-30-2004, 02:32 PM   #4
(female)

kkkittykat HB User

just bumping up. Hopeing for more advice.

kk

Old 01-02-2005, 08:06 AM   #5
(female)

kkkittykat HB User

Just bumping up for help. Anyone else ever have the same thing happen???

Closed Thread