It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2004, 09:14 AM   #1
(female)

RuthAA HB User
Anyone have Plantar Fasciitis surgery and happy?

I will probably be having surgery on my right foot in a month or so. We've tried the injections and I am now in a walking cast that I sleep in as well, but if I take it off, I'm back to the same incredible pain. I was wondering if anyone out there has had the surgery and tell me how it was, how long it took to recover to get back on your feet? Also total recovery?

Old 12-30-2004, 07:15 PM   #2
Inactive

ronnald_b HB User
Re: Anyone have Plantar Fasciitis surgery and happy?

Why are you having surgery? Why not try ESWT!!? Any podiatrist would at least try that before resorting to surgery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2004, 07:38 AM   #3
(female)

RuthAA HB User

I will be having surgery to cut the tendon 3/4 so that scar tissue will fill and lengthen my tendon. That's the next step after the walking cast. What is eswt?

Last edited by RuthAA; 12-31-2004 at 07:39 AM.

Old 12-31-2004, 08:49 AM   #4
Inactive

ronnald_b HB User

Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy. This procedure has basically replaced surgery. Please ask your podiatrist to consider this as there are very few side effects, unlike surgery.

Old 12-31-2004, 02:18 PM   #5
(female)

lady neon HB User

I havent had the surgery but I did have several injections in my heel. A little over 2 mos ago I slipped while going up the stairs. My heel slipped down and I experienced a awful pain and popping sensation in my heel. I couldnt get in to see my Pod. for almost two weeks so I consulted an OS. He told me that I had ruptured the Plantar Fascia, and that the injections were probably the cause. They weaken the tendon making it easy to rupture. But on the upside he told me that what had happened was just like having the release surgery. That scar tissue would have to form to fill in.

I was put in a walking cast that I wore for 6wks. and am now in a athletic shoe and doing PT twice a week. I cant say that I'm real happy with how my foot feels but its better than it has been. Good luck to you.

Old 12-31-2004, 07:07 PM   #6
(female)

KarynLR HB User

I would not have surgery on PF unless it was last resort. You have tried injections and a walking cast, but there are other options--cryoanalgesia, shock wave, physical therapy. There can be a lot of complications with the release surgery (I had a crummy surgeon, but my lateral plantar nerve was severed and resulted in more extensive surgery with a better surgeon), and a lot of people don't feel much relief. However, a lot of foot surgeons have different opinions (something I have noticed in dealing with my issues), so going to get a second opinion might not be super helpful. However, going to somebody conservative would be good. Remember that you have to walk on your feet for the rest of your life--surgery can dramatically change things for the worse (and the better, mostly the better, but still). If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask

Closed Thread