It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2005, 05:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User
had fuison...have problems

Hi all.
I had my big toe fusion last week and had my 1st post op appointment today.
Somehow the screw was loose and the bone moved so now I am going back in Thursday this week to have the plate removed and screws put back in...it's all a blur to me...I can't believe this is happening. Has anyone else delt with this or anything like it????
dlh

Old 01-04-2005, 07:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User
Re: had fuison...have problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh
Hi all.
I had my big toe fusion last week and had my 1st post op appointment today.
Somehow the screw was loose and the bone moved so now I am going back in Thursday this week to have the plate removed and screws put back in...it's all a blur to me...I can't believe this is happening. Has anyone else delt with this or anything like it????
dlh
Hi,
Sorry you are having problems, I hope things work out for you and I hope you are feeling better.
Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2005, 08:14 PM   #3

jdm HB User

dlh,
Sorry to hear about your fusion problems. I was lucky and had no problems with the fusion. Are you in a cast? Are you non-weight bearing? I was in a cast and non weight bearing for 4 weeks. Then I was in a cast for another 4 weeks. Did you have a graft too, or just a fusion? I hope that things go better for you this time around.

jdm

Old 01-05-2005, 05:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

Sorry to hear about your problems. I had a fusion and no problems with it. Even though the screw came loose and a bone moved, be glad it was caught early and can be fixed now instead of waiting, to me that would even be more difficult.

Good luck Thursday.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Thanks for all your good wishes!!! I did not have a bone graft, just a fusion. Yes, I too am glad they caught it early and I am only a week into recovery, it will be easier to fix it now rather than later...I am also glad that you all had good success. I am in a splint and have no weight bearing. I was suppose to go into a full cast next week but that will be a weel later now. I have not put any weight on my foot and have been careful because I knew this could happen.
Thanks again for the replies. I will keep you up to date, I am having the plate out at 7.30 am tommorrow.
dlh

Old 01-09-2005, 01:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

dlh,
How are you doing?

Sue

Last edited by susieblueyes; 01-10-2005 at 05:51 AM.

Old 01-10-2005, 10:09 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Sue,

I am doing well, thank you. The surgery went well and I have not had as much pain with this one. I am nervous though about it happening again. I see the DR tommorrow and am hoping all is well.
dlh...............................I will let you know how that goes.

Old 01-10-2005, 04:24 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better.Oh, which part of your toe was fused? Where the toe connects to the foot or the joint below the toenail?
Sue

Old 01-10-2005, 05:15 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Sue,

Where the toe joins the foot. I have only been able to bend it 1 way for years so I hope I get use to it not bending at all quickly.
dlh

Old 01-11-2005, 05:27 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

I will say this, it is a weird feeling not to be able to bend the toe when it meets the foot, I have gotten use to it, but it still feels different. At least I can say it does not stop me from doing anything, not yet anyway.

Hopefully all will heal well for you dhl. Good Luck! -eko

Old 01-11-2005, 08:34 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

dih,
Was your fusion due to having the sesamoid removed? If you remember I had surgery on Fri 1/7 I had the one sesamoid removed and the toe fused but it is the joint on the toe itself. I also had some tendon repair.The Dr. said that in time I will need the same fusion as yourself. Well I hope that you are feeling better,

Sue

Old 01-11-2005, 12:16 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Sue,

Yes, after I broke that sesamiod my foot changed forever...I ended up havng both sesamiods removed which is why the fusion. I just got back from the DR and it looks great this time on X-ray...the incsion however looks awful. I had some tissue breakdown which left some open flesh....can't even think of it my stomach is so weak!!! But it will heal and the fusion should do fine.
How are you doing???
dlh

Old 01-12-2005, 05:53 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

dlh,
Oh the scars, aren't they great? My feet are so ugly now from all of the horrible scars Im so embarassed. I won't even let my boyfriend look at them.So now I have another one from the tip of my toe to the end of the arch in my foot. That makes 3 ugly scars on my right foot and 4 scars on my left.
I'm doing ok, just quite a bit of pain still and called the Doctor for a refill for pain meds.Were you in a cast? Im so afraid that I will mess up the work that they did. The one Doctor said not to move or walk on my foot at all. The other Doctor said I can take off the cam walker for bed.I dont know?????????I have been wearing the walker 24 hrs.
Well I hope you are feeling better and take care,

Sue

Old 01-12-2005, 08:16 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Sue,

Maybe I am over cautious but I wouldn't use the foot until both DR agree. I am in a splint now and crutches. I was suppose to get my stitches out next week and go into a cast but now wit this open wound I don't know what he will do. I guess I am lucky to have the scars I have, until now it wasnt bad and only on the left foot.
Take care of yourself and be careful on that foot!
dlh

Old 01-12-2005, 11:20 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

dlh,

Were you able to walk on your foot after they removed the sesamoid?

Closed Thread