It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2005, 02:19 AM   #1
(female)

Happytoes HB User
Unhappy Help needed by newcomer please!

I have no movement in any of the toes on my right foot!!! It all started six weeks ago when I turned my foot over while playing a sport, I didn't even fall over at the time but there was a nasty sensation right the way along my foot and horrendous pain. I couldn't put weight on it and iced it immediately. Feeling a bit foolish, went home carried on with the ice but in the middle of the night the pain woke me up and I went to the hospital. I had, a line of bruising along the outside of my foot, up the back of my ankle in a straight line and halfway along the inside of my foot and huge swelling all over foot, with a deformed looking area on the outside of my ankle. Had initial x- rays and was diagonosed with a severe sprain and given crutches and sent to physio. Told to return 4 days later because they wanted to do another set of X rays, again these were negative, given anti-inflammatories and sent back to physio. Have attended physio every week and done exactly what i've been told, the swelling is finally down to one patch over the outside of my ankle but i was feeling a cracking sensation under my big toe and also a very strange sensation at the base of my third and fourth toes. Last week, I was sent to an ankle class in the gym at the hospital, and the physio there asked me to bend my toes which i couldn't do although it feels as though I am. Was in agony that night after the gym, went back to physio next day and the area around my ankle was too tender for them to touch and my toes still wouldn't move. sent for xrays of toes to rule out lisfranc injury. As of yet not had any feedback on xrays so presuming they are ok but toes still won't move and it is becoming very frustrating. I know this is quite a minor problem, compared to most of the things I have read on the footboard but just wonder if anyone has any ideas as I can't find anything about this and am worried that the longer there is no movement the worse the final outcome will be. Thanks very much for reading my essay!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2005, 05:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
Re: Help needed by newcomer please!

That does not sound fun at all. If x-rays rule out any fracture, I'd demand an MRI of your foot and ankle to rule out any tears to ligaments and tendons. I you are unable to bend your toes, even though it feels as if you are, I'd have to say there is something wrong. Let us know what you learn, but push for a good diagnosis. You don't mention is you are seeing an o/s or podiatrist. If you aren't ask to be referred to a podiatrist for a o/s that specializes in the foot and ankle.

Best wishes -eko

Old 01-06-2005, 05:00 AM   #3
(female)

Happytoes HB User

Thanks Eko for replying, it really gave me a lift - will do as you suggest with the referral and let you know outcome. Thanks again, Happytoes or should I say not so happy toes!!

Old 01-06-2005, 08:59 AM   #4

Mpls21 HB User

You should absolutely be demanding more tests and seeking 2nd and, if neccesary, 3rd opinions. I am approaching 7 months of recovery from major surgery on my ankle to correct injuries that were misdiagnosed years ago and it has been hellish and it isn't over.

Get more tests and if you are not already seeing an orthopedic surgeon or a good podiatrist, find and see one now.

Good luck to you.

Closed Thread