It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2005, 12:13 PM   #1
(female)

rbstarr HB User
Both bunions at same time

I'm going in for bunion surgery in April which has been put off for many years. I'm having both done at the same time, a Chevron Bunionectomy. With pins that are to be removed 2 weeks after the surgery. I was told by my os that I would be able to walk on my heels after the surgery, however I'm quite doubtful. Has anyone else had both done at the same time? Oh yeah, and that's without any casts.

Old 01-06-2005, 02:04 PM   #2

verylongday HB User
Re: Both bunions at same time

I only had one done at a time -- and I was supposed to be able to use the heel of that foot following surgery. I tried once. . . and after that that foot didnt go near the floor for 4 days till my first post op apt when the doc gave me an air cast. And even than I still used the crutches and scooched as much as possible. Not to sound negative, but I couldnt dream of both being done at once.

Good luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
(female)

rileyroe HB User

I had both done a year ago this Saturday. I believe I had the Austin procedure. I have two permanent screws in each foot. No pins or casts. They were wrapped in gauze and ace bandages. I COULD NOT walk AT ALL for three days. My husband literally carried me everywhere...including to the bathroom and had to put me on the toilet with my feet on the footstool I had in front of the toilet. When he carried me he had to carry me with my feet straight out because I could not have them down at all...the trobbing was unreal. I used crutches for balance when I did walk again, and it was awful. It hurt like crazy and my balance was awful even with the crutches. Really think about it before you do it...I don't know if I would do both at the same time again. It was nice to have it over with at once. I still have pain in my feet if I do too much walking and I think it may be because they haven't really had a chance to heal. Make sure you have someone with you 24 hours a day and someone that can carry you around! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Old 01-07-2005, 07:03 AM   #4
(female)

mediamom HB User

I've had both done twice. First time with an OS who just bandaged my feet and told me I could walk on my heels right after surgery. I had pins that were removed after 6 weeks. In this case, my bunions returned within 6 months. Misery!

So about one year later (Dec 30) I found a podiatrist after many opinions and had both done again. This time went much better. Pain was much less as was swelling. I was in small fiberglass casts for about 3 weeks, which really made a difference in terms of fear of anything touching my feet, incisions, etc. Casts were changed each week and pins and casts were removed at 3 weeks. He also used dissolvable stiches, which caused much less irritation. I then went to bandages for about 10 days and I'm now just in a blue shoe and trying to transition to a sneaker. Overall, results are visibly much better than with my first surgery. I have no regrets about doing both feet at once. I had help for meals etc as I really couldn't get around much the first two weeks. However I could walk to the bathroom for essential stuff. I couldn't imagine doing the long recovery from one foot and then going back and doing it again. My view was that it was better to get it over with and get back to life faster. As for pain, I used my pain meds as needed and didn't find it to be a big issue. Again, pain and swelling was much reduced with my podiatrist. He jsut had much more experience with the procedures than my OS had (500 a year versus about 35 a year for the OS) so I think that experience and technique played a role in my faster and easier recovery this time around. Either way, I have no regrets doing both feet at once.

Best of luck.

Old 01-09-2005, 12:20 PM   #5
(female)

tazzyjack HB User

I would not advise you to do that.I just had my second surgery last week.
on the 1/4/05 and just like the first time, I should not have done it this time either...this surgery is a nightmare. you cant walk on your heel like they say you can. once you try that. you wont do that again....I hope you have tryed all your other options. I will never do this again...the first surgery they used pins.
this surgery they used screws. it really dont mater what they use, it is still the worst kind of surgery a person can have.
I hope you have someone to help you, because you are going to need it.
my poor husband , god bless him.
I hope everything goes well with you..
and I really would think hard about this surgery...it's bad
God Bless

Old 01-19-2005, 03:12 PM   #6

wilkb7 HB User

I can't even imagine having both done at one time. I had my left foot done in June, and wouldn't even consider having the other foot done unless I was having major major pain. This far post op, I wish I hadn't had the left foot done. If you do have them both done, as stated in other posts, make sure you have lots of help and lots of pain meds and ice. Hope all goes well!

Old 01-19-2005, 05:16 PM   #7
(male)

cableguyalpha HB User

Hello,
Unfortunately, Time off the foot is the best healer.
Custom fit arch supports are a good remedy. They will re-align the foot structures.
Which balances the foot properly. Orthotics are expensive, but there are some cost effective solutions. I wear Archatomics-custom arch supports. You can find them on the web. And is very affordable and easy to order.
Their site also shows how to relieve pressure off of the forefoot, which is great for bunion sufferers.
Hope the best. Mike

Old 01-19-2005, 05:20 PM   #8
(male)

cableguyalpha HB User

Get help for foot balance, and take the load off of the forefoot.
very affordable custom arch supports, I use Archatomics-custom arch supports. You can find them on the web, Very informative site.
Good Luck, Mike

Closed Thread