It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2005, 09:45 PM   #1
Inactive

4080Sean HB User
Ingorwn toenial that is NOT infected

I have an ingrown toenail. I was told that it is not infected and there appears to be NO discoloration.

However, there is still some pain when the toe is inside shoes and used to walk because it presses a bit on the skin.

Should I jsut wait a little longer for it to heal on its own? If I bother with a podiatrist apptm, what would he/she do to speed that healing?

Thank you.

Last edited by 4080Sean; 01-09-2005 at 10:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2005, 10:30 PM   #2

jdm HB User
Re: Ingorwn toenial that is NOT infected

I had an ingrown toenail that became infected. I ended up in the hospital. I encourage you to get it treated right away. Although you do not have an infection now, you could develop later. My podiatrist removed part of my toenail. You would get numb and then have the area that is ingrown removed. If I can answer any other questions, let me know.

jdm

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2005, 10:37 PM   #3
Inactive

4080Sean HB User

Was the process painful? Is it like an outpatient surgery? How long did it take?

Any suggestions for preparing or making it more tolerable?

Thank you.

Old 01-09-2005, 10:42 PM   #4
Inactive

4080Sean HB User

I meant to mention that the toenail has completely grown back. There is NO infection.

However, there is some pain when I am wearing shoes and putting pressure on it.

There has NEVER been any open sore or blood.

Do you still think I should see a podiatrist?

Thank you again!

Old 01-10-2005, 05:06 PM   #5
(female)

Loud HB User

Hi, Sean.You should make a Podiatry appointment, for they are the best doctors to handle this problem. My husband had one in-grown toenail trimmed by our regular doctor, and the nail grew back; although he was told it wouldn't. When that toenail grew back, and then his other toenail became ingrown and infected, he that time saw a Podiatrist. He was given anti-biotics to clear up the infection, and told to come back in a few weeks to get both toenails trimmed back. My husband said the Podiatrist did a better job of it...though his toenails were quite sore at first...he had to keep his feet elevated for the first few hours after the procedure...and it took about a month to heal up. He just wore open toed sandals for a while. But the good news is that he'll never be troubled by an ingrioown toenail again. If you don't get it taken care of, it very well could become infected....Then you'll have to get the infection cleared up, then get it trimmed back anyway. Its not so bad...my husband had his nails done on a friday afternoon; so he had the weekend to stay off his feet. Take care; Debbie

Old 01-14-2005, 08:56 PM   #6
(female)

annelizly HB User

i have to say that what i do when i have the same problem as you(if your game) i take a small utility knife/craft knife. carefully and lightly cut down the side of your toenail that is ingrown. just about the width of a pencil lead from the skin on the side of your nail. go over this cut again and again gently . don't cut so far down to cut skin under nail. take a needle and carefully dig sliver of ingrown nail out. put triple anti biotic oint on toe. should be taken care of.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-15-2005 at 01:02 AM.

Old 01-14-2005, 09:05 PM   #7
Inactive

4080Sean HB User

Thank you.

I have already gone to the podiatrist. He cut a diagonal portion of my toe away.

During the 24 hrs since he cut it, the pain has increased a little bit. Is that normal?

Should the pain be gone in about 3 days?

How soon should I be able to start more activity?

THANK YOU AGAIN !

Old 01-14-2005, 09:16 PM   #8
(female)

Loud HB User

Hi again, Sean. Are you soaking the toe in Ebson Salt water solution? That can help with the soreness. My husband had his nails killed on the side, so they wouldn't grow back...and he was prescribed this ear drop medicine to also put on them. But if you haven't had the nail killed, you probably don't need it. Just take it easy for a while...till it starts feeling better. Debbie

Old 01-14-2005, 09:21 PM   #9
Inactive

4080Sean HB User

Yes, I am soaking 2x per day in Epsom Salt. What does it really accomplish?

Old 01-16-2005, 02:39 PM   #10
(female)

Phoenixbleu HB User

I get ingrown toenails on both of my big toes regularly. I used to try to cut the toenail out myself but couldn't get all of it out.

For the past 2 years, I've been getting pedicures every 2 weeks and the nail techs have been able to get the ingrown toenails out without a problem.

Obviously, the nails grow back in. But, I would rather have them cut out at the nail place regularly than lose my toenails (or have disfigured toenails) by going and having the ingrown nails removed by the doctor.

Old 01-17-2005, 04:31 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

bordrgrl HB User

Maybe I'm just lucky, but when I get them all I do is trim a v shape in the center of the nail. According to my mom that helps pull the nail out as it grows together. Not sure if thats true, but it works for me To prevent them my ballet instructor says to make sure the nail is cut straight across, not curved like the nail cutters.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:03 PM   #12
(female)

Loud HB User

Hi again, Sean. My husband says Ebson Salt/water solution (make the water hot as you can stand) which I'm sure you're doing...this will help draw out any infection that could be lurking there...plus it keeps the skin soft, which aides in healing also. It does help make the nail get better...I bet it cleans out the sore area, also...Debbie

Old 03-11-2005, 12:00 AM   #13

Escared HB User

Hello,

I suffer from ingrown toenails very badly. I've only known one other person besides me to get them this bad. One heals up and then the other starts to do the same. Right now my left toe is almost healed up and isn't really sore at all, my right toe is a completely different story. It is so sore I can barely walk on it. It has infection that leaks out (I know it is nasty) during the day and night. On my right foot I also have the little toe next to my big toe that is ingrown as well. I've had them bad in the past, but never have I had them hurt this bad. I don't have medical insurance, so the Dr. is not an option. I have been soaking them once a day in Epson salt pure hot water. (I do mean pure hot water) And just yesterday I started putting Tripple Anit Biotic ointment on them. I work at home, so I never wear shoes, except when I shop or something of that sort, and then I wear sandles (I live in California) everywhere I go. Besides the above and the exception of going ot the dr. Is there anything else anyone can reccomend? I'd really love to be able to 'not hide my feet' when I have company.

Thanks,
Escared

Old 03-14-2005, 09:26 PM   #14
(female)

jdm1 HB User

I had my toe nail permanently removed a few weeks ago. I soaked with Epsom salts 2x per day for about 2 weeks. I still have the scab but the healing is moving along. My apin lasted abouts days after the procedure.

jdm

Closed Thread