It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2005, 09:05 PM   #1

Zeethan HB User
My husband is having bunion surgery on the 1st

He is having his right foot done. Thankfully we are moving into a single level home before then. What can he expect? What can I expect? He will be on crutches for a month he was told. I was kinda hoping he'd be able to assemble some furniture and do some primering of walls while he recuperates but maybe he'll just sit on his butt and watch t.v. or play on the computer? He isn't a big pill taker, nor does he moan and groan about being in pain. Will he leave the hospital the same day? He is 6'7 and weighs over 200 lbs. so I can't do much to help him get around. Anything to make his recuperation more comfortable? Thanks!!

Old 01-11-2005, 02:28 PM   #2

verylongday HB User
Re: My husband is having bunion surgery on the 1st

Everyone is different and there are different procedures that have varying recovery times. I had my right foot done and was on crutches for 2 weeks. . . actually, I didnt walk at all that first week - I schooched or had help becuase I am a wuss and the swelling as soon as I un-elevated my foot was really bad. Week 2: I got a walking cast and used crutches and gave up the crutches at the end of that week. Was able to drive with my left foot then as well (end of week 2).

To be honest - during that first week I had lots of computer game playing and needlework I WANTED to do -- but simply was not up too it. Was more myself the second week, played games and such but would NOT have been primering walls -- i HAD to keep my foot elevated regardless. I went back to work the third week - but remained in my chair as much as possible (for the rest of that month actually), to keep my foot elevated.

Hope this helps at least a little.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2005, 04:57 PM   #3

Zeethan HB User

Thanks for your reply! My husband is in the Navy, stationed on a ship, so he will be getting quite a bit of time off. I told him he will have to sleep on the couch so I don't accidentally hit his foot or something. I'm more worried about it than he is.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:32 AM   #4

verylongday HB User

I slept on the couch for the first two weeks as well -- precisely for that reason -- didnt want to get jounced accidentally by someone else ;-) I will say that when he does return to bed he should still prop his foot up on a pillow at night as well, so that its not too swollen to step on in the morning.

Good luck to you both!

Old 01-14-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
(female)

annelizly HB User

bunion surgery is pretty invasive. Basically after numbing the foot , the doctor will make an incision from the joint of big toe where it meets the foot base , up the top of foot a few inches. he will cut through tissue until entire bunion bone is exposed when skin is stretched back. He will chisel off round part of bone(think of a small ball and you have to chisel is flat, almost to make a square out of it) then has to file bone for smoothness, then cuts a small pie shape piece of bone out of joint of big toe if toe is pointing in and straightens big toe and then drills a medal pin through side of foot through bones to hold in place. incision is then sewn up. Get your script for pain meds just in case. And keep iced if in pain.
hope this helps and doesn't scare you!

Last edited by Administrator; 01-15-2005 at 12:00 AM.

Old 01-14-2005, 08:24 PM   #6

Zeethan HB User

Eek! I'm glad I don't have bunions!! Doesn't the pin come back out though? I thought I had heard that. His feet are so misshapen. He's been an avid jogger for over a decade, does all that pressure and pounding make bunions? I hope this is a day surgery, and he doesn't have to spend anytime in the hospital. He's not a big pain medication taker, he rarely has a headache or gets sick. I had been given Percocet when I had my first carpal tunnel release surgery and taking one knocked me out and gave me a bad dream, so I can imagine how something like that would affect him. What do people normally take, extra strenght Motrin? Would that even work? Thanks.

Closed Thread