It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2005, 06:11 PM   #1
(male)

artsefest HB User
Pain after Bunion Surgery

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has experienced consistant pain after 1 year of bunion surgery. I have been in pain for over a year now and I have been to 4 doctors with no luck of finding anything. Needless to say I am very discouraged and in pain every day. I am unable to walk long distances without being in pain to where I have to stop walking. I am then in pain all night.

Bone looks healed, no nerve damage, bunion has not come back, blood is flowing in bone. Those are all the things doctors have looked for.

Anyone have any thoughts I would love to hear them

Thanks,
Brian

Old 01-12-2005, 09:21 PM   #2
(female)

ugatah HB User
Re: Pain after Bunion Surgery

Hi. I had my surgery almost a year ago on January 27. It was for hallux limitus, mild bunions and hammer toes. Yes, I have had continual pain. I did the exercises the surgeon told me but it is painful to walk, and sometimes painful sitting. The surgeon said I have joint adhesions, (scar tissue). My big toes slightly stick up and this causes problems with getting comfortable shoes. I'm getting another opinion from an orthopaedic surgeon in a couple of weeks. I think the surgeon didn't line up the joints correctly, or bandages were too tight. I don't know - but something has gone wrong. The pain is constant and impacts on walking and carrying heavy things. Life is not much fun when your feet hurt all time time.
Cheers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 05:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

Hi,

I have had many foot surgeries over the past year.I have seen many different Doctor's also.I just had my last surgery on the 7th and that was to correct a complication from my very first bunion surgery that was last November.I feel that these people on here that say they have experienced their bunion surgeries as a good experience should consider themselves [U]VERY[/U] lucky. I have had nothing but nightmares.
I guess when you go into any surgery you never know what to expect and there are complications.
Just my opinion.
Sue

Old 01-13-2005, 08:25 AM   #4
(female)

just2cusmile HB User

Y'all are freaking me out! I'm having surgery tomorrow!!! I really hope it goes better than this. I'm sorry you are all having such horrible pain. Did any of you have a procedure done the used a dissoving pin to hold the bone in place? That's what I am having done and it makes me nervous. Will it really disolve and as it disolves, does it move?

Thanks,
Angie

Old 01-13-2005, 09:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

[QUOTE=just2cusmile] Y'all are freaking me out! I'm having surgery tomorrow!!! I really hope it goes better than this. I'm sorry you are all having such horrible pain. Did any of you have a procedure done the used a dissoving pin to hold the bone in place? That's what I am having done and it makes me nervous. Will it really disolve and as it disolves, does it move?

Thanks,
Angie[/QUOTE]
Sorry to scare you.But they say as long as you have a qualified Doctor you'll be fine.But I will tell you it is a long recovery.I have never heard of a disolving pin.All of my surgeries that required hardware had to be manually or surgically removed.
I wish you the best and keep us posted,
Sue

The Following User Says Thank You to susieblueyes For This Useful Post:
Hurtfoot (04-01-2012)
Old 01-13-2005, 10:30 AM   #6
(female)

Ohach HB User

I would like to know how things go for you Angie. I have bunions and have considered surgery. I'm having second thoughts now after reading the other posts. I have pain now with my bunions though. So I'm wondering which pain is worse?? The before or after? Also how long is the recovery? I have two little ones and have all those motherly duties to do!

Old 01-13-2005, 11:36 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

I had surgery for other reasons but after the 2nd one I did have pain after 1 year. I had to have the joint cleaned out and that helped for awhile. I just had that joint fused and have had problems...if you have read any of my other post you will know.
If the pain interferes with your day to day life then yes, consider surgery. If it something you can live with then let it be. I have had 5 surgeries on my left foot now and hope this last one is the charm. You have to have trust in your DR. If you doubt them at all find another one. There are always risk when you have surgery and everyone will heal differently. Not all of my surgeries were bad, this last one was a nightmare but it will be OK. Be prepared and make sure you don't try to do things before you DR gives you the greenlight...listen to your foot, it knows when enough is enough. This board is great...it allows us to hear other stories of real people who have been through what we are going through and everyone seems to really care and encourage each other. i am so glad I came across it because it has really helped me to see that I am not alone and that things can be better.
Good luck to you! Heal well.
dlh

Old 01-17-2005, 02:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

[QUOTE=just2cusmile] Y'all are freaking me out! I'm having surgery tomorrow!!! I really hope it goes better than this. I'm sorry you are all having such horrible pain. Did any of you have a procedure done the used a dissoving pin to hold the bone in place? That's what I am having done and it makes me nervous. Will it really disolve and as it disolves, does it move?

Thanks,
Angie[/QUOTE]
Hi,
I was wondering how you are feeling.I hope everything went good for you. Let us know how you are doing.
Sue

Old 01-18-2005, 07:43 PM   #9
(female)

nycjane HB User

Hhhmm....I think everyones experiences are different. I am 11 weeks post op from a bunionectomy (chevron) and am extremely pleased. The pain was not bad at all. Keeping it elevated the first week is important. I went back to work on the 10th day....part time for a week then full time. This weekend I was on the treadmill. I think its important to pick the right surgeon and be confident in his ability. Then do what he/she tells you I am having the other foot done later this year and have no reservations whatsoever.

Old 01-19-2005, 05:24 PM   #10
(male)

cableguyalpha HB User

Hello,
Unfortunately, Time off the foot is the best healer.
Custom fit arch supports are a good remedy. They will re-align the foot structures.
Which balances the foot properly. Orthotics are expensive, but there are some cost effective solutions. I wear Archatomics-custom arch supports. You can find them on the web. And is very affordable and easy to order.
Their site also shows how to relieve pressure off of the forefoot, which is great for bunion sufferers.
Hope the best. Mike

Closed Thread