It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 09:36 AM   #1
(female)

imhdab HB User
Question Toe Fusion(s) -- any regrets?

Hello all,

I'm considering having both big toes fused (after suffering with hallux rigidus for about 14 years -- my first doc said nothing could really be done except fusion...)

Anyway, I've doing LOTS of research to find a good doc, finding about what to expect with surgery, etc. But I REALLY would like more info on whether or not fusing is the best choice (then again, what other options do I have? ) I'm 43 now and very active (well, as active as I can be with my poor sore tootsies...) and want to stay that way! I'm too young for this stuff!

If you had a fusion (or fusions) are you happy with the results? Any regrets? How long did it take post-op before you could resume normal activities? What limitations did you discover? Any 'words of wisdom'?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give! I REALLY appreciate it! (Maybe I'll be able to return the favor someday too...)

Sincerely,
~Heather

(P.S. Please be gentle with me... this is my first post on this board...)

Old 01-12-2005, 10:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
Re: Toe Fusion(s) -- any regrets?

Heather,

Welcome to the board. Fusions seem to be a popular topic right now. I have only on toe fused and for myself it was a success and if in the same position I was in at the time would do it again - no regrets.

I will throw this out there, there is an alternative to fusions for the right person and that is implants where they replace the joint. I am not for or against them, just strongly recommend you do some research and talk to your doctor. Some people have had much success and they do run the risk of wearing out or something going wrong. There are a lot of implant options out there to, but I am hardly the expert in that area.

Now onto your other questions - it took about 12 weeks before I fully resumed to all my activities, but I was able to walk at week 6. It al depends on your Dr. and his methodology. They are all different. My only limitation is heel height for shoes - no more high heels, but that wasnever a big issue for me.

My words of wisdom when deciding what to do is ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS of your doctor, get a second opinion and be an educated patient and take an active role in the process - after all it is your feet.

Take good care, there is a lot of info out there, you just need to dig for it. Also if you are interest in implants, post it out there and see if any of those who had it done are still out there and can answer your questions.

Best Wishes -eko

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 11:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

i had my joint fused Dec 29th. It went badly because they used a plate which came loose and had to have it taken out 1 week later and screws put in. I had an X-ray this last Tues and it looks really good. I have had alot of pain, more with this than any of my other surgeries. I am only 1 week now into recovery and I know I have weeks ahead of me on the couch leg up...boring...do I regret it? I don't know yet. I am not happy that it has been such a nightmare and my inscion is open, but I have heard that after it heals that you can do things again...I was to the point that I could not take a walk and even just going to the grocrey store was hard. Find a good DR. ask alot of questions and make sure you trust who ever does the surgery. There are some really good tips on this board for preparing for surgery, if you havent already read them look the through the threads and check it out.
Hope all goes well with you...
dlh

Old 01-20-2005, 10:57 PM   #4

jdm HB User

Heather,
I had a fusion and I am very happy with it. I had two previous surgeries prior to the fusion. The first one tried to "save" the joint. The second one a year later was a titanium replacement joint. Four years later when I couldn't handle the pain anymore, I had the fusionj done. It has been the best thing that I have done. The worst part of it is not being able to wear all the cute shoes that I want to. If you have any other questions, I would be more than happy to answer them for you.

jdm

Old 03-31-2005, 12:32 PM   #5
(female)

big toe HB User

This my first time to be on a message borad. Had my big toe fused Jan 2005. Hate it. Looking for a implant, the toe was tiled to high up now the dr. wants to take out the little bones on the bottom of my foot and cut the big toe so it will lay down some. So I am looking for a new dr. and seeing about an implant Pat

Last edited by big toe; 03-31-2005 at 12:34 PM.

Old 03-31-2005, 12:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

Ewwww, oh no Im having a fusion on Monday.Mine will be angled at 10*I hope you make out ok with an implant.My Dr. did not want to use an implant because he says they usually don't stay in place.Good luck!
Sue

Old 03-31-2005, 12:44 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

big toe,
so sorry to hear that!!!!! Can they use an implant afer a fusion?????? I didnt think they could. Good for you...getting a new DR! FAST!!! Good luck to you!!! My fusion was in Jan as well but all is good now.
dlh

Closed Thread