It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2005, 10:46 AM   #1
(female)

footsies HB User
When are the Pins Removed????

Greetings:

I know that time varies based on each patient but I received a bunionectomy a week ago and am wondering, if you had removable pins, when they were removed.

Much thanks!

Old 01-18-2005, 11:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User
Re: When are the Pins Removed????

If I remember correctly the normal time is about 4 weeks. I had a pin but had to have it removed after 4 days due to an infection.
Good luck, Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2005, 03:11 PM   #3
(female)

footproblems HB User

I am 12 days postop and had my stiches removed today -- had an Austin Bunionectomy. My doctor told me to come back 3 weeks postop to have the pins removed. He also told me I can start walking a little (in my big black boot), and will be in sneakers by 4 weeks postop -- hope he is right!

Old 01-19-2005, 07:03 AM   #4
(female)

mediamom HB User

I had two different experiences with this. With my first surgery, which failed, orthopod kept pins in for 6 weeks. This time around (with podiatrist), he removed after 3 weeks (casts also came off at this time and I went to bandages and blue velcro shoe). So far, my outcome this time around is much, much improved so I guess keeping pins in for 6 weeks is not necessary. I was told that it takes 6 weeks for bones to completely heal but that doesn't mean pins must stay in for that length of time. Had an x-ray after that 3-week pin removal and doc said all looked great.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:18 AM   #5
(female)

footproblems HB User

Hi Marketingmom,

Could you tell me when you were able to wear comfortable dress shoes after your surgery? I am speaking at a conference 6 weeks after my surgery and am hoping I don't have to go up on stage in my sneakers.

Thanks.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:33 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by footproblems
Hi Marketingmom,

Could you tell me when you were able to wear comfortable dress shoes after your surgery? I am speaking at a conference 6 weeks after my surgery and am hoping I don't have to go up on stage in my sneakers.

Thanks.
I don't know....maybe you will be ok but it might be painful. It took me at least 3 months before I could wear a comfortable shoe.

Sue

Old 01-19-2005, 03:09 PM   #7

wilkb7 HB User

When I had my bunionectomy, my doctor originally told me that one pin would be removed in about 6 months, and the other would stay in. At four months post op, he went in and removed both of them.

Old 01-20-2005, 04:35 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkb7
When I had my bunionectomy, my doctor originally told me that one pin would be removed in about 6 months, and the other would stay in. At four months post op, he went in and removed both of them.
Wow, were they pins or screws?

Old 01-20-2005, 05:31 AM   #9
(female)

mediamom HB User

6 months!! That's very odd. Sounds like screws because you don't surgically remove pins.

As for wearing shoes again, this is really variable based on your recovery. I'm at 6 weeks now and able to wear sneakers but that's about all. Oh, I can also wear clogs, which are about one size too big. Forcing yourself into other shoes at this early point is not a great idea. Most folks at 6 weeks are still pretty swollen. I am not, but consider myself very lucky as with my first (failed) surgery, I was not even close to wearing shoes at 6 weeks. If you must wear something other than sneaks or the velcro shoes, suggest you buy a pair of flattish, wide, very soft leather shoes that you could put on for a very short time. Go to a shoestore that is not high fashion per se, and see if you find something orthopedic looking. My foot doc actually sells shoes like this (well, there is a display in his waiting room) so ask your doc for a suggestion too. Best of luck.

Old 05-30-2005, 04:36 PM   #10
(female)

SarKop HB User

I recently had surgery for bunionectomy and and a hammer toe. I just had my stitches out a few days ago, but need to keep my pin in for another 2 weeks. I am really nervous that it will hurt when it is removed. Can anyone tell me of their experiences....good or bad!

Closed Thread