It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2005, 09:03 AM   #1

igel44 HB User
Ankle Tightness

I sprained my ankle a few years ago and at the same time suffered an osteochondral defect of my talus. I had surgery for my OCD but did only a few PT sessions because I had to leave for a semester abroad. Since then, I have had permanent swelling over the outer part of my ankle, tightness around the back of my foot in the area of my achilles tendon, and I transfer any weight to the outer part of my foot. I was planning on getting PT for this over Winter Break, but then I fractured my medial malleolus. I have been working on my own since I got out of the boot to strengthen my foot but the swelling in the outer part of my foot has increased and running on it incorrectly is pulling something in my knee and makes my ankle hurt. The trainers at the gym said I should try to get PT but my problem is that I am back at school and all my doctors are at home. I am trying to figure out what to do next. I have done some research on-line, but I have a few questions. Does anyone know where the ATFL is? I know it is in the outer part of the ankle. Would I be able to get a script for PT by calling my GP? I have also thought of calling my foot doctor back home or seeing a doctor near school. My parents are against me seeing anyone new but I donít want to wait until the end of the semester if possible. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:43 PM   #2
(male)

Bigdog Two HB User
Re: Ankle Tightness

The AFTL runs just in front of your lateral mallelolus (outside ankle bone that sticks out) mostly parallel to the bottom of your foot. Its not very long. Its on the outside of your ankle.

Where was your OCD? Most of the time they are anteriolateral (front outside) but can be medial posterior (inside of the ankle at the back). Could your problem be from the OCD? It is my understanding that often those don't totally heal and continue to cause problems.

Here is a good article discussing possible causes of persistent ankle pain after a sprain:

http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1997/12dec/shapiro.htm

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2005, 04:42 PM   #3

spacey_11 HB User
Re: Ankle Tightness

If you go to you on campus health center (who usuallly are not very useful for anything), they should be able to give you a good recommendation for an OS in the area... the same for PT. I would say for the tightness, you probably really need to stretch the achilles... generally persistent problems with the ligaments result i laxity, not tightness... it can also be tendonitis from the inactivity... I had that as a secondary problem after a Bronstrom procedure last year. I also had an OCD, and the pain from that was generally deeper... more like arthritis. It also caused locking and a bone fragment caused more danage because it was there for almost four years. My doc said that because my Lesion was rather large, i will most like have early arthritis becuase the new cartilage is softer than the original and will wear away faster. I would go see someone just to figure out what is up... based on your history, it sounds like you could have a few things wrong. Good luck!

Closed Thread