It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2005, 07:18 PM   #1

HappyMama HB User
1 year post op Bunion surgery

Hi there,

I had a double bunionectomy January 2004, and wanted to give an update on how my surgery has been. I'm also hoping that any of ya'll who went through this during that time will see this thread and let me know how you are doing.

My feet are perfectly aligned now. My scar tissue is raised and quite numb on the scar and surrounding areas. It feels funny at times, particularly when I'm swimming! I can pretty much wear any kind of shoe that I want to now and can exercise/walk/run with no problems. Just because I can wear any kind of shoe though does not mean that I do. I refuse to wear tight fitting shoes, as I do not want my bunions to reoccur.

I do sometimes have throbbing sensations when I am standing for long periods of time, like when I'm taking a shower for example. I got pregnant soon after the surgery and that extra weight sure didn't help. I delivered a healthy 8 and a half pound baby boy since, and my feet don't throb nearly as much now.

Just today I decided to start using Mederma as my scars are very noticeable and raised. I don't really care that you can see the scars, but I would like them to flatten some, and hopefully not feel as tingly. Oh...one more thing..my big right toe is halfway numb, which is an annoyance!

My feet didn't hurt all that much before the bunion surgery, and to be honest, if I knew then what I knew now, I probably would not have gotten the surgery. I went into it very naively, and thankfully had a wonderful husband who helped me get through it. I'm glad I have straight feet now, but the tingly sensations and the fact that my feet still throb when I stand on them for long periods do get to me sometimes.

I hope to hear from others that I "know" from last year and hope to hear good things from you guys.

Last edited by HappyMama; 01-21-2005 at 07:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2005, 08:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User
Re: 1 year post op Bunion surgery

I did not have a bunectomy but a fusion...my 5th surgery on this foot. It is encouraging to hear from you that have healed and are doing well. I learned alot about scars over the last few years...Maderma is good but yhe the thing that did the best for me was I would massage the scar everyday. Not on;y did all the numbness go away, even from a prior scar that was numb 2 years after but i noticed the scar really broke down and was flat and smooth...I plan to massage this one as soon as I can. Good luck with that!
dlh

Old 01-22-2005, 02:22 PM   #3

HappyMama HB User

Thanks for the tip....I'm going to definitely try that. I wasn't good about massaging my scars before b/c it just hurt at the time to do it. I'll try it now though!

Old 01-22-2005, 05:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

It was hard at first but after a few times it is easier...hope it helps!

Old 01-24-2005, 07:14 PM   #5

jdm HB User

HappyMama

I had my surgery a year ago in Feb. I had a fuson with a graft from the hip. I am pleased with my results. I am walking pain free for the first time in years. Congratulations on the birth of your baby. My toe was numb for a long time. I still have places along the scar that are very sensitive. I used Mederma and I was pleased with the results. Good luck to you.

JDM

Old 01-25-2005, 05:12 AM   #6

HappyMama HB User

Thanks JDM -

So I"ve been using the Mederma for a few days now...and I can already tell that the tissue is becoming less sensitive. Not sure if it's the Mederma, or just the massage that I'm doing when I apply the Mederma. And why didn't I start this sooner?!? LOL!

Old 01-25-2005, 01:29 PM   #7
(female)

rileyroe HB User

Congratulations on your new baby boy! How old is he now? And, if you don't mind putting it on here...what is his name! I am happy for you!

I am doing pretty good. My feet are still achy at times and I hate it. It only happens if I do too much walking. Christmas shopping was awful! I think it is the screws that are causing the problems, but I am going to wait until probably November before I talk to the doctor about it. I don't want to have to deal with it during the summer!

I did notice some sensitivity with my scars over the summer while I was swimming, but I am hoping that will be better by this summer. My scars aren't really sensitive any other times though. I don't notice any numbness at all. The one thing I do notice is that my feet seem to be cold more! I have been wearing socks around the house and at night this winter and I never needed to before. I guess I must have lost some circulation! It was good to hear from you!! Mandy

Old 01-25-2005, 05:47 PM   #8

HappyMama HB User

Mandy! Awwww....so glad to hear from you too!!! I didn't know if you'd be back on these boards still. I just starting thinking about it since it was our one year anniversary and b/c I just bought that Mederma!

Sorry you have soreness when you walk a lot. I hope everything will end up ok with you. Hopefully you won't have to have anything done to correct it and it will correct on its own. Here's hoping for you!

My baby boy is named Ryan and he is almost 3 months old now. He's my little water baby...I had a water birth which was an absolutely amazing experience. I was ready to leave the hospital within just a few hours I was feeling so good, although I did stay overnight. He's a great little boy and this happy mama got even happier.

I hope all is well with you!

Have you heard from any others that went through it when we did? I did read about marketing mom, poor thing!

Old 01-27-2005, 02:45 PM   #9
(female)

chezlux HB User

HI! I had my first surgery last March and my second foot done in late December. My first foot feels great, just a little sore at times. I still can't take a shower without getting that full feeling in the foot. My scars look pretty good, they are just now fading. This go around has been much easier as I knew what to expect. I am already doing the stretches for the foot and it seems to speeding up the healing. Good thing because I leave for Hawaii in March. Glad you all are doing well.
Chezlux

Old 02-07-2005, 02:33 PM   #10
(female)

rileyroe HB User

I love the name Ryan! I bet the water birth was an amazing experience! I am so happy for you!

I haven't heard from many people...I also read about Marketingmom...I can't even imagine what she has been through!

What else have you been up to? I am so glad you are doing well!!!

Mandy

Closed Thread