It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2005, 07:40 AM   #1
(female)

cuvanni HB User
Another surgery!!!!!

In May 2004 I had a bunion osteotomy and hammertoe surgey on my 2nd toe. I was in physical therapy for 4 months and also developed RSD and had 8 lumbar sympathetic blocks. All along I have had severe pain in my 2nd toe and have had great difficulty walking. Last week at my visit with the OS he told me that the cause of my pain is that the bone has grown across the space where they took out the proximal joint in my 2nd toe. There is suppose to be some tissue between the bones but I have none. He said that the only thing that would correct this is more surgery. Instead of my toe being at an up curve it is curving downward in the middle so I am walking on bone every step I take. Of course the success may not be 100%. He may be able to correct this without a pin but if I do need a pin it will stay in 3 weeks. I am scared to death to have surgery again as this whole thing has been a nightmare and I am concerned that the RSD might return after the surgery.
Has anyone ever had an unsuccessful hammertoe surgery and had to have it redone? What was the outcome? Any information would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2005, 07:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User
Re: Another surgery!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuvanni
In May 2004 I had a bunion osteotomy and hammertoe surgey on my 2nd toe. I was in physical therapy for 4 months and also developed RSD and had 8 lumbar sympathetic blocks. All along I have had severe pain in my 2nd toe and have had great difficulty walking. Last week at my visit with the OS he told me that the cause of my pain is that the bone has grown across the space where they took out the proximal joint in my 2nd toe. There is suppose to be some tissue between the bones but I have none. He said that the only thing that would correct this is more surgery. Instead of my toe being at an up curve it is curving downward in the middle so I am walking on bone every step I take. Of course the success may not be 100%. He may be able to correct this without a pin but if I do need a pin it will stay in 3 weeks. I am scared to death to have surgery again as this whole thing has been a nightmare and I am concerned that the RSD might return after the surgery.
Has anyone ever had an unsuccessful hammertoe surgery and had to have it redone? What was the outcome? Any information would be appreciated.
Sorry to hear that you are still having problems. I did have hammertoe surgery also. There is deffinetely something wrong with my toe too. But I'm trying to avoid another surgery
I hope everything works out for you and good luck,
Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread