It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2005, 10:49 AM   #1
(female)

footsies HB User
Need bunionectomy cheering up!

This has been such a great board and a fantastic place to get advice. I received a bunionectomy 2 weeks ago yesterday. I haven't put any pressure on the foot and have absolutely no pain. I had a screw and 3 removable pins put in. I WANT TO WALK!!!! Please someone tell me that when I go to the doctor's office they will take out the pins and let me walk. I am going nuts!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 11:18 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User
Re: Need bunionectomy cheering up!

My operation was this past Friday - I'm only on my way to how you feel! We'll get through it though! This is the first day without my pain meds - amazing!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2005, 11:51 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

I had a fusion...almost 3 weeks. I am on crutches...HATE it. I know I have at least 3 more weeks on them...ugh....hope you get to walk soon. Wish I had no pain, I do but it'snot too bad. good luck to you, patience is a must and I run low often!!!
dlh

Old 01-24-2005, 04:19 PM   #4
(female)

Amink HB User

I am sorry you are unable to get around.

I have been able to hobble in my walking cast since operation day last wednesday.

I am doing well, I have been completely off my percocet since saturday.

I hope you have a speedy recovery and are up and about in no time!

Ami

Last edited by Amink; 01-24-2005 at 04:21 PM.

Old 01-24-2005, 07:36 PM   #5

HappyMama HB User

Oh I know how you feel!

I had a double bunionectomy last year. I know the recovery time feels like FOREVER, but someday you will be able to walk, run, jump and even stand on your tiptoes again; I promise! I'm living proof of it. Just think about how pretty those toesies will be this summer!!

Old 01-26-2005, 03:26 PM   #6
(female)

Herne HB User

I had my second bunion done Friday Jan 21st. I was up and walking around 2 hours after the surgery. They put my foot in an aircast and showed me how to adjust it. My post op was the 25th. Doctor took removed the bandages, looked it over took xrays and re-wrapped my foot. I was given vicodin and some antibiotic and also some suppositories in case the other meds caused nausea or vomiting, which they didn''t. They gave me crutches but I have not used them and won't.

They put a titanium screw in to hold the bone together. I can wear a sneaker after 3 weeks and drive and can wear any shoe I want after 6 weeks. I don't work so I'm home but I've been going up and down stairs (carefully), doing laundry, vacuuming, etc.

Vitamins help. The vicodin helps mostly at night when it started to throb. But truth be told, I'm not suffering much.

The first foot was done 4 1/2 years ago and except for some continued numbness along the cut, my foot is fine, doesn't hurt, rain doesn't bother it, and because I did the exercises the doc told me to, my toe is really flexible. The doctor who did the first bunion is a podiatrist who is on call during the Boston Marathon. The second doctor works with him. They are both excellent and I'm happy to have the surgery behind me!

It's important to start walking on the foot as soon as possible, on the heel portion.

Good luck to everyone!

Herne

Old 01-26-2005, 10:15 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User

Wow, sounds like you had a pretty mild bunion situation! Lucky you! I had mine the 21st too and am in a fiberglass cast, switching to a boot in a couple weeks, but still totally non-weight-bearing for 6 weeks or so, until the bones heal. I have two screws and a pin. Aircast? What exactly is that? If I put any weight on my foot so early, I'd screw it up before it's properly healed and have to have more surgery!

It's crazy, the amount of people who are up and walking so fast - maybe my bunions are just more severe, but I'd be really careful not to overdo. When you're on pain meds, you can't feel what you're doing, so there's a tendency to do more---then pay for it later.

Old 01-27-2005, 05:54 AM   #8
(female)

Herne HB User

Probably my bunion wasn't as severe as those of others. It hurt like heck for the past year, and I couldn't buy or wear any new shoes. I have flat wide feet as well as the bunions so I really could never wear high heels or fashionable shoes. The big toe was moved quite a distance from the second and was pointed back in toward the second toe and the bone was quite knobby.

I haven't been taking a lot of the vicodin, mostly at night and it hurts but only as much as would be expected. All of my aunts have these huge feet with bunions and hammertoess; one of them has to mail-order her shoes - size 12 triple x wide! I don't want that to happen to me!!

Old 01-27-2005, 10:23 AM   #9
(female)

Amink HB User

I have the Aircast too.

It is a heavy duty plastic cast, but on the inside are air pockets that you inflate, the theory behind it is to put pressure on the area to prevent swelling an not need as much ice.

It has worked for me! I have had hardly any swelling, I have been able to walk (waddle) it is great to have around my dogs, they have stepped on my foot and with the protective plastic I haven't felt a thing.

I have also not had to take any pain meds since Friday morning Jan 21, surgery was the 19th.

The Doctor told me had to do quite a bit more manipulating of the bones and tendons than he usually does and thought I would be in a lot of pain, I am sp please I am not

I get my stiches out next Tuesday, then I can finally get my foot wet yay!

This boot is a God Send!

I saw my after x-rays the other day! They look great! I am so excited!

Last edited by Amink; 01-27-2005 at 10:27 AM.

Old 01-27-2005, 11:56 AM   #10
(female)

Herne HB User

So maybe the Aircast is what makes it better for us. I wore it to bed the first few nights but after the post-op, the doctor said I didn't have to. I'm glad someone else out there is having a good experience using the aircast.

My first bunion (other foot) op 5 years ago, I didn't have the titanium screw and they put me into what I call the "goofy shoe" which was ugly, open, closed on the sides only; AND I had to wear it for 6 weeks total. Couldn't do ANYTHING for six weeks. This time, I can wear sneakers if I want to go out but not for too long at this point. Sneakers will be tight but roomy for the foot. Keep it in place, but tightly as a High Heel shoe (which I NEVER wore). I cannot drive for the first 3 weeks but after that I can wear sneakers and drive. After 6 weeks, I can wear regular shoes and resume exercise and all that good stuff.

Love the aircast!

Old 01-27-2005, 12:59 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User

I just looked into the Aircast. Now I'm completely green with envy. Does insurance cover it? I'd love to have it when I get the other one done - or even right now!

Old 01-27-2005, 01:30 PM   #12
(female)

Amink HB User

I needed prior authorization for my aircast, but I am so glad I have it!

I am still sleeping with it on, as it keeps the blankets off of my foot, yesterday was my first day out by myself, I had the left foot done so it didn't affect my driving.

The docs said I will have to wear this another couple of weeks, but it is a very nice boot

Good luck Joll43 I hope you can get it!

Ami

Old 01-31-2005, 10:55 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User
Unhappy Re: Need bunionectomy cheering up!

Okay - it's been 10 days since the surgery - I'm going so stir crazy I can hardly stand it, and sleeping at night isn't the best either. I feel like this will go on forever! The thought of doing my other foot is just ridiculous at this point. I definitely need some bunionectomy cheering up!

Closed Thread