It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2005, 10:01 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User
Anyone else have a cast?

After my bunionectomy last Friday, I have a cast on my foot that goes up almost to my knee - totally non-weight-bearing. Going to the doctor next week to see if we're switching to a boot.

The toe/bunion area with the pin doesn't bother me, but my ANKLE feels like the inside of this cast is ripping my skin off! It's the top of my foot, where it meets the leg - there are tendons there, and I have a feeling that's what's popping up. I can't just pop in to the doc's office, because of the snow right now, and I have a feeling this is just the regular discomfort of a cast (never had one before). Anyone else experience/experiencing this? My toes (except for the big one, of course) are wigglable and not blue or anything.

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2005, 10:57 AM   #2

StephanieVD HB User
Re: Anyone else have a cast?

That's a normal cast feeling. I haven't had a bunionectomy but have had lots of casts unfortunately. Your skin does get raw very easily, also its kinda hard to put a cast on if your sedated, I am surprised they put one on you right away. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

It is normal...your skin will be very tender, my heel feels raw and I can barely tough it and i just have a splint...I have to change my dressing everyday so at least I get to take ot off and give my skin a small break...I hope you get it off soon!
dlh

Old 01-25-2005, 01:56 PM   #4
(male)

Bigdog Two HB User

Joll43: It may not be totally uncommon to be experiencing cast pain in an area unrelated to where you had surgery, but I don't think you should have to endure that either. I had ankle ligament surgery and had three different casts and found all three to be pretty comfortable. I would go back in and get it changed for a new one.

Old 01-25-2005, 02:12 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User

Wow, thanks everybody! Actually, my doc called today (he calls every day - this is NYC and he calls every day; amazing.) and I told him about it and he said I'm probably still swollen a bit. I think I can tough it for a week, actually. Maneuvering on my crutches in the snow right now doesn't appeal to me. We'll see how it goes day-to-day.

I'd kill to be able to wash my hair, but I'm already halfway through a scarf I'm knitting!

Old 01-25-2005, 02:34 PM   #6
(female)

imhdab HB User

Do you have pins sticking out of your toe? If so, are they very painful? (Also, how/when do they take them out?) I'm wondering since that is what my doc thinks I'll be having.

I've never had a cast either so I'm also interested in hearing all about that too.

Thanks -- I hope you're feeling better soon!

~Heather

Old 01-25-2005, 02:35 PM   #7
(female)

imhdab HB User

By the way, I hope my asking this doesn't cause you any discomfort or anything... I really just want to know so I can better prepare myself for what lies ahead. If you don't want to talk about it right now I totally understand!

Take care,
~Heather

Old 01-25-2005, 04:58 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User

Some discomfort can be expected, but if it really hurts go in and get the cast changed. I had a problem with my first cast where it really hurt in a certain area. I waited for a day, but it really hurt so they had me come in and get it changed. It felt a lot better after that.

Old 01-25-2005, 07:37 PM   #9

StephanieVD HB User

I went to HSS in NYC and my doc there called me too. He was so great. Aside from how expensive trips to NYC are, I would almost go up there for all my medical stuff. My doc there actually cared. That's good he called you. Hope all is well!

Old 01-26-2005, 10:45 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User

I got a new cast today - turns out, the inside was all bunched up where my ankle bends - got a terrible "rug burn" - but all is great now, and they put on an extension on the bottom that protects from bumping it -

thanks for your help, everybody!

Last edited by joll43; 01-26-2005 at 10:46 PM. Reason: they won't let me post pictures.

Old 01-27-2005, 01:34 PM   #11
(female)

kwj001 HB User

I, too, have a cast. Had bunionectomy and next two toes done 1/14. I feel like I'm wearing a thong sandal and my big toe is being separated from my others. There's nothing there...dr said it must be swelling! That, and the toe cramps, are the worst of it!!

Closed Thread