It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2005, 11:38 AM   #1

EverlastingSmile137 HB User
???all this pain just from wearing sandals????

Hi, I posted before but didn't get any replies so I thought maybe I would try again. A week ago my left ankle started hurting and I didn't do anything to it and I never have before.
It started getting worse and then my right ankle started hurting too. Now both ankles hurt all around, lateral medial front and back. Also, my heel hurts, the top of my foot, and the arch.
My mom says it is because I wear sandals all the time and if I stop wearing them it will get better. I used to wear them everyday but now that my feet hurt I wear sneakers all the time.
Now if I don't have my sneakers on I can hardly even walk. Does anyone know what this is? Is all this pain really just from wearing sandals and it will get better now I stopped wearing them?
The pain gets worse everyday! It makes me sick to my stomach because it hurts so much. Can anyone help me??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 12:36 PM   #2
(female)

imhdab HB User
Re: ???all this pain just from wearing sandals????

Hi!

My suggestions: Look at the bottom of your sandals -- is the sole worn unevenly? I wear Birkenstock's all the time and as soon as the heel portion starts to get worn down my feet IMMEDIATELY start to hurt -- also my legs, ankles, knees, hips, etc. (I'm having my first fusion next month so hopefully I can say "Bye Bye! to the pain!) I MUST have good support because I tend to over pronate -- for me Birks work well.

Also, what quality were the sandals to begin with? I can NEVER buy cheap shoes -- my feet start to hurt right away. Make sure you have good supportive shoes -- ESPECIALLY is you do a lot of walking in them. (I use my Birks for walking shoes -- my athletic shoes irritate the bone spurs I have on the tops of my feet: OUCH!)

Hope this helps...

~Heather

Last edited by imhdab; 01-26-2005 at 12:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 02:23 PM   #3

verylongday HB User

Almost sounds like my Plantar Faciitis - which acts up as soon as I start wearing shoes without constant arch support. The ONLY thing that has really helped (besides taping my feet which is a pain) is Birkenstocks. Even my ability to wear sneakers (And I mean good New Balance ones) is limited because the arch tends to compress in those when i walk (and it doesnt in the Birkenstocks). When it acts up me feet get very swollen and my ankles can swell and make some serious popping noises so I try at all costs to prevent this!

Old 01-29-2005, 02:48 PM   #4

EverlastingSmile137 HB User

the sandals i use to wear every day were adidas adissage sandals. you can google it and they will come right up. the other morning my ankle cracked and hurt so much to walk on after that. i really hope this goes away soon since i am not wearing my sandals anymore

It's not a question but a lesson learned in time

Old 02-01-2005, 03:12 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

I noticed that my ankles started to hurt during the summer. I pretty much lived in a couple pairs of thongs. They weren't really cheap thongs, but what a thong is - a flat rubber sole. I couldn't figure it out. I thought I was getting arthritis or something. They were so stiff and would hurt when I got up from sleeping or just from a sitting position. Well, once colder weather came and I started wearing shoes, the pain went away. So, I will assume it's because those types of sandals are not supportive enough for me to wear. I can wear them occasionally, but will have to find something either more cushiony or supportive for summer months.

Hope you ankles feel better soon!

Closed Thread