It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2005, 07:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User
Wink Sue...are you OK?

Sue,
Haven't seen you post this last week...hope that means you are better!! I just wanted to see how things were going for you. Hope allis well, let us know how you are.
dlh

Old 01-27-2005, 09:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User
Re: Sue...are you OK?

Hi Dawn,
Yes I'm ok, just got the ok to drive so you know how that goes? Everyone thinks you are all better and Mom plays taxi.LOL Had to take my daughter to the Mall for a present for her friend.Grocery shop(what a job that was)Son to the Dr for a checkup.Just been running too much and when I'm done I'm so tired and sore.
Thanks for the concern, just trying to stay warm.I hope you are doing better too.
Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 09:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Glad you are OK....yes, Mom does mean taxi but itsn't it great to be back??? I can drive but haven't, I have no desire to move around the mall or the grocery store on crutches...can't wait to walk again! I am doing OK...have energy again and moving around pretty good, the wound is starting to heal and scab over...my husband changes the dressing everyday, still, and this stuff is like glue...he thinks the scab is gonna stick to the bandage soon and pull off, man thats gonna hurt!!! But it is better and soon I will be able to walk, I hope on the 8th. It is 72* here today. WONDERFUL.
Stay warm and don't over do it...glad you are out & about.
dlh

Old 02-03-2005, 06:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

Dlh,
How have you been? I'm sure you noticed that I got banned for a week.Well Im back and I hope to hear from you and I hope your feeling well.
Sue

Old 02-03-2005, 08:22 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Sue,
I did notice today when I read the post...Are you doing well? I am good, I went out to my moms Sunday ans took my crutches...big mistake...my right foot has PF and while trying to go up a step it gave out and I sprained my left ankle...I had the forsight to land right and thanks to the splint I was able to protect the surgical area. Monday I came down with a really bad cold but it seems to be getting better. LOL what a week! On the bright side my foot feels better, the swelling seems to be down and the wound has scabbed over, the last of the dead tissue came off today so just a big scab now, it looks better then it did. How is that blister? Are you walking OK? I see the DR on Tues, I pray I get the green light to start some weight bearing!
Glad you are back.........hope all is well with you and the kids!
dlh

Old 02-04-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

dlh,
I'm sorry that you had a bad week.I hope you are feeling alot better now.
I'm ok just have a nasty scab where the incision is. And almost the entire top of my foot peeled...Bad.I went to the Dr Tues. and he took more xrays and said the toe looks good but the joint at the base of the toe is not co operating.He said before that I would probably need that joint fused.I'm thinkin he is thinkin sooner than we thought before. The toe is still sticking up. In fact I think it is worse.I guess I have quite a bit of arthritis in that joint.
Well thats it with me!
Sue

Old 02-04-2005, 04:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Sue,

I have has worse weeks...LOL. I am sorry to hear the news from your DR. I know you must be dreading having that joint fused...do you think you will do it this year? Stay warm and take it easy.
dlh

Old 02-05-2005, 07:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

dlh,
How's the weather? It is actually a heat wave here over 30.I don't know what to do about the fusion?But he said he is going to take more xrays to see where we go from there.My toe realy sticks up bad. About the sesamoid removal that you had did it take a long time to be able walk correctly? I seem to not be able to put my foot flat Im walking on the outside of my foot.
Now I have a lump(bone) on the bottom under my pinkie toe.
Maybe you can help me with some suggestions.Im hoping he doesnt want to do the fusion soon. Im still in my surgical shoe.The joint that he did fuse is so swollen still.My feet have been through so much they look like something out of a horror movie.LOL
Thanks for listening,
Sue

Old 02-05-2005, 04:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Sue,
It was 65* and sunny today, chilly outside now with the wind, it is suppose to cold tonite but in the mid 70's all next week!!! I love it here! I guess when you have the X-rays you might know more...I would think he would let the foot heal good before he goes back in. I wouldn't know what to do either, some help I am, huh? I think because we are not healed yet the thought of even more surgery is awful, I know when I went back in for my 1 week check up and he said we had to go back in I had a melt down right there in his office. It will be a hard call, wait and see what he says after the X-rays and weigh all the pros and cons. On one hand better to get it over with. To be honest Sue I never did walk right after the sesamiod was removed. I walked on the edge of my foot to, now my pinkie toe is curled up alot and I have to stretch it out several times a daysor it cramps up. MAKE yourself walk right. It is so hard but I ended up with more surgery and pain because I didn't. they told me if I didn't walk correctly I would end up having to have my hip replaced...several DR. said the same thing. Let the swelling go down first then slowly begin to walk on it the right way, it is too easy to walk the way we do and I would hate for you to have to go through more crap. Vent anytime, if i have to through all this I might as well be able to share things with people like you...maybe it will help. Let me know when you have the Xrays. Oh yeh, after i had the sesamiod I couldnt walk barefoot at all, I have to wear slippers at home, it pads the area and makes it easier to walk. also you can get pads for your shoes at Walmart and that helped too, at least in sneakers. It takes time but really focus on it and dont mess up like I did....
dlh

Old 02-07-2005, 05:03 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

dlh,
How are you doing today? It was in the lower 50s yesterday, boy how I wish I could have gone outside for a nice walk.Suppose to be nice out again today.Then crappy weather for a few days.I have been trying so hard to walk correctly, I think Im getting better with walking flat footed. It is just that my big toe sticks up so far now and my 2nd and 3rd toes are curling under because they have to grab onto the floor. The big toe is still very swollen though.My foot looks totally different than my other foot.It looks so wide. Also I have been having different pain lately(top of my foot between big toe and 2nd)And it feels like it is hot inside.....I don't know?????I give up...Who knows just something different everyday with these feet.
Sue

Last edited by susieblueyes; 02-07-2005 at 05:03 AM.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:20 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Sue

I know what you mean, if its not one thing its another...sometimes I wonder what else can go wrong with a foot! I know it is hard walking right, it will take time, dont pressure yourself. It is easier when you have no swelling. I hope you didn't take my advice the wrong way, I would just hate for you to have to endure anymore crap because of walking wrong...I wish I had done better with that. My last 2 toes curl under, my foot was swollen for almost 2 years...yep...2 years...and my foot looks wider too, I think it actually is, I noticed after i lost the seamoids I needed a wider shoe on that foot...i dont know, its weird. I also had pain on the to of my foot, it never went away but wasnt always bad...in the same place yours is hurting. I am hoping that having that joint fused will change all that. ?It has set in that that toe is not going to move, it is so weird, I hope i get use to it. I have had really weird feelings in it since yesterday, I pulled the scab loose while I was moving my little toes around, the pain was crazy and it burned so bad.....it has felt weird since. My husband, bless him, keeps telling me that that scab is deep and connected to nerves and everything around it and it is just normal...I on the other hand went into complete panic mode thinking I had messed something up again...I swear this surgery has made me loose my mind, this recovery is not like the others, they were a cake walk compared to this. Wow, isnt that encouraging for you?? LOL. That doesnt mean you will have a hard one, some people breeze through it lucky them. Well, I guess it was my turn to rant...thanks Sue. It sure helps to have people who understand to talk to! Have a wonderful day, hope the weather improves!
dawn

Old 02-07-2005, 08:32 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

Hi,
Do you ever get the feeling that no one understands what we go through with our feet? You tell them that you had surgery and they give you the look or attitude like it is nothing.Like maybe it was a corn removal.LOL Everyone thought when I had my first bunion removed last year that it was where you scrape the bump off, like a callus.So anyway..... I hope you did not do any damage pulling off the scab.I know when I pull off little pieces it feels weird.I really don't have much feeling there, so it doesnt hurt. It looks like it is ready to come off,then when I pull it it bleeds.Guess it wasnt ready.But it doesn't hurt so I pull it.So now I have learned to just leave it alone.I cant wait to go back to the Dr.
Like you said it is great to talk to people from here that uderstand each other. You can vent to me anytime you want!
Sue

Last edited by susieblueyes; 02-07-2005 at 08:32 AM.

Old 02-07-2005, 09:24 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Sue,

Yes, I do get the feeling that people just don't get it! i don't know if it is just me but it seems that once you have foot surgery it kinda snowballs...isn't one enough for cying out loud!!! Well, you are braver than me, I thought about picking off the scab myself but chickened out...i guess the bandage moved it when i was moving around! And now that you mentioned that you still don't have alot of feeling in your foot the feeling is coming back to that area, I can feel when I touch my toe and the other day I couldn't, maybe thats why it hurt so bad...who knows. I will know in the morning if all is OK. I think it problebly is, I am just over reacting, I can't stand the thought of having to do this again....yikes....but we will be normal again and all this will be just another thing we went through. I think the first time I put on a pair of shoes and go out all day without any pain it will have been worth it. I hope...LOL
When do you go back to the DR?
dlh

Old 02-07-2005, 07:47 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

I don't go back to the Dr. until next Tues.Let me know how you are doing in the morning. Are you going to the Dr?
Sue

Old 02-08-2005, 11:30 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

sue...I am going to post a follow up but I saw the DR this morning and everything is great! The fusion is , well, fusing...LOL and it looks good. He took off the scab, it didnt hurt so that was good, i was prepared for pain. I have to change it 2 times a day now but it is so much better. I also got the OK to walk!!!!! YIPPIE...I have the lovely surgical shoe but I havent took my first step yet, was out most of the day with the DR then getting scripts & the shoe, think I will rest for a bit before I take that first step. I am going to use my walker too at first, I am in no hurry and am afraid I will hurt it...me being paraniod!!!! I feel like weight has been lifted off of me. He said all the crazy pain I had the last couple of days was normal and some of it was due to that wound, nerves were some as well. It is sunny & warm today, too bad your not here to enjoy it with me...ha ha. Well, how are you today? Let me know what the Dr says when you go, I go back in 2 weeks.
dlh

Closed Thread