It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2005, 12:36 PM   #1
(female)

kwj001 HB User
How long after bunionectomy should you take pain meds?

I don't want to be a weanie, but I'm almost 2 weeks out from a bunionectomy (plus next two toes shortened) in a cast with a good bit of pain at the end of each day. I prop it up at work (and I work from home) but the 3-4 hours in the evening when the blood is leaving my foot, as I really get it elevated above my heart, are miserable. I don't take any pain meds throughout the day but am still taking a Lortab or two in the evening...what are other peoples experiences?

Old 01-27-2005, 02:37 PM   #2
(female)

mediamom HB User
Re: How long after bunionectomy should you take pain meds?

I would use your pain meds if you're uncomfortable. That's what they're for. By the way, the reason you're having so much pain is that you're back to work awfully early. It's really too bad that you can't keep you feet up and iced during the day. I also work from home but kept my laptop and phone and everything else i needed by my bed so I could stay flat with feet up. Somehow working at a desk even if you're propped wasn't enough. It's too easy to pop up and down all day. Anyway, I would start with motrin and OTCs first and if they're not enough, move to something stronger. No reason to be miserable.

Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 03:04 PM   #3
(female)

kwj001 HB User
Re: How long after bunionectomy should you take pain meds?

Thanks for the advice. When I do the other foot, I'll put a wireless network in here at home! I have to be online all day to do my work (connect to the office network!!)...I just didn't think far enough ahead!

I've been in the medical field for years, and remember how some of the drs and nurses talked about patients calling for pain med refills...so it makes me very hesitant to ask for a refill! However, when I went back for my one week check up, I hadn't taken pain meds for 24 hrs, so I thought I was on the mend...just figured out that my foot was still numb!! Will try the Ultram he gave me tonight...bottom line is, I'm not going to die without the meds...it just makes it easier!! Actually, this whole surgery was no worse than I expected...which is good news for anyone out there contemplating the surgery. Looking forward to walking with no pain...

Closed Thread