It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2005, 09:05 AM   #1

joekrackin HB User
crushed ankle, 3 screws...how much will i collect?

i was hurt at work, a faulty machine crushed my ankle and now i have 3 screws in it....anybody know in a guestimate how much ill recieve when the case is done? how much is a foot worth nowadays?

Old 01-29-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
(male)

Bigdog Two HB User
Re: crushed ankle, 3 screws...how much will i collect?

As you may be aware, workmen's comp likely covers your case. There likely will be a chart that is used in your state that tells you how much you get for damaged or injured body parts depending on the % of loss of use.

In my limited experience (I am a lawyer but I do tax and financial stuff but had a few clients with workmen's comp claims that I referred to another law firm) you will get more than nothing but not as much as would seem fair to compensate you for your pain and suffering and long term problems, if any.

You will have to decide whether to get a lawyer to help you with your claims. Workmen's comp was designed to allow injured workers get compensated for injuries without the need for lawyers or litigation. Your employer or the workmen's comp insurance carrier who contacts you will tell you that. And, in many respects they are right. Use of a lawyer may not get you any more money. If you use a lawyer you will likely have to give him/her 1/3 of your recovery amount as a fee. So, use of a lawyer could turn out badly if you just get the statutory amount and then have to pay a fee.

On the other hand, I do know of situations where use of a lawyer has led to largery recoveries in the Workmen's Comp area.

Another consideration is whether you want to proceed under workmen's comp at all. It is my understanding that if you proceed under WC you cannot later bring a lawsuit for your injuries. In other words, when you get your WC award the employer is released for your injuries. So, if you never heal right and have much worse long-term effects you can't go back. Also, if your injury was due to the negligence of your employer or the manufacturer of the equipment you likely cannot sue them for their negligence or defective machinery. So, the choice of whether to proceed under WC has a lot of factors. If your injury is severe or if you think there may be negligence or manufacturing defects involved, you may want to consult a lawyer. To find a qualified lawyer (most suck - I know I deal with them everyday) you may want to contact your local or state bar association. That will not guarantee that you get to a good lawyer but will up the percentage chance that you will.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2005, 10:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

From my own experience ...BE CAREFUL. I am in Fl...I settled years ago from a foot injury at work. Workers comp...got next to nothing and didn't realize what a mistake I was making. Since then I have had 4 more surgeries...out of my own pocket. Don't rush into something, research it carefully and take bigdogs advice. Good luck to you.
dlh

Old 01-29-2005, 11:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User

Hi
I broke my ankle seriously last January and have had five surgeries since. I wouldn't settle too quickly till you feel that your ankle is completely healed. I really have no idea how much a broken ankle is worth. I have been suffering for 12 months so far and still have to wear a brace for three more months. Take care and stay in touch.

Music

Old 01-29-2005, 12:36 PM   #5
(female)

Amink HB User

my hubby broke his ankle in 3 places in early 2000 7 screws and a 6inch titanium plate in his leg.

we sued our apartment complex for ice that was not our responsibility to clean up. we settled out of court for $60k

Old 02-02-2005, 10:57 AM   #6

joekrackin HB User

well, i have 3 screws in it, and like 4 pretty big scars on my foot, it still feels very weak. also isnt there a chart for the length of the scars or something, also there is a part on the side of my ankle that is partially numb...any thoughts about that...one more thing, could u send me a link or something with that chart u mentioned about body parts?> thanks

Old 02-02-2005, 10:58 AM   #7

joekrackin HB User

also the side of my ankle is partially numb. could u send me a link for that chart u mentioned about the body parts? thanks alot!

Old 02-03-2005, 09:07 PM   #8

joekrackin HB User

well part of my ankle is kinda numb where they cut it open...doesnt that count too? could you send me a link or something where i could find a chart wit all the body parts and there worths? thanks

Old 02-04-2005, 03:52 AM   #9
Inactive

johnZ HB User

Man... get a real good lawyer and take your time. You still have NO idea what may be in store for you. If 3 surgeries later you are still messed up, you will have great regret from settling too early. Healing up should be your biggest concern. Ankles work very, very hard, all your life. Think about that.

Old 02-04-2005, 05:27 AM   #10
(male)

Bigdog Two HB User

Joe:

The charts vary state by state and are updated regularly. THey also require a bit of interpretation.

I agree with John Z that you should take your time -but not too much time because there will be a statute of limitations (which will be at least a year and likely longer).

A few things: 1. if the machinery that injured you was indeed defective as your first post suggested you should get a lawyer. 2. you may be limited to workman's comp, but whether you are limited to that is a complex area of the law and fact dependent - if you sue and win outside of workman's comp it is possible that your recovery would be a lot greater than what you would get through workman's comp but it is possible that you would zip if you sued. Its complex and you should at least talk with a personal injury lawyer (probably more than one) and get their advice.

Old 03-31-2005, 08:37 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

I never heard of a chart for the price of an injury ? I heard of loss limbs ect..
Settlements are usually between the plaintif and the insurance company , I wouldnt settle, I been on comp since Dec,2003 still in pain, Medical is to expensive. Good luck. Oh if you find out what chart Biggdog2 is talking about post it here, Im curious..

Closed Thread