It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2005, 11:53 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User
Bunionectomy sleep help!

Hey Everyone - don't know how many of you have experienced this: the pain (I'm 8 days post-op, in a cast) is always worse at night, of course, but when I FINALLY DO fall asleep, sometimes I dream and my foot jerks in my sleep and the pain from doing that wakes me up! Last night I actually dreamt that someone was picking me up and flipping me over (might be my cabin fever) and I said to them, "No! I have a cast on my leg!" Right after that, my foot jerked (it was elevated) and my toes curled, or at least tried to, very fast. The cast didn't move; my foot did, and the pain was MIGHTY.

I'm fine now - in a way I don't know anymore when I'm in pain. I feel my foot all the time, since the cast is heavy, etc. It does hurt a little, but not like last night.

It's really unsettling - hard to be in bed all day and have to go to sleep here too.....if you use your bedroom for everything, it makes it harder to sleep anyway, but now I'm freaked out to fall into a nice deep sleep in case I jerk my foot!

Thoughts?

Old 01-29-2005, 12:38 PM   #2
(female)

Amink HB User
Re: Bunionectomy sleep help!

I have only had my foot jerk twice in sleep since operation, one I was trying to run huh?!? and another I don'/t remember well, the first time it hurt, the second time just surprised me.

I don't have advice, I have heard those kind of jerks mean relaxation, good luck.

I hope you get over your pain quickly.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2005, 01:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

I was posting when my computer went nuts...if this a repeat pose sorry. I was saying that I have had it happen each time I have had foot surgery...this was my 5th. I always thought it was nerves...it always happens at night and usually when I am falling asleep and very relaxed. I don't think it is anything serious, I hope it is just my nerves... it hurts and it freaked me out at first. If it bothers you that bad talk to your DR. I hope it is better soon and you heal quickly!!
dlh

Old 01-29-2005, 07:04 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User

thanks so much - this is my first surgery, of any kind, and I didn't know what to expect.

Old 01-30-2005, 08:36 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dlh HB User

Hang in there...it will get better! If you have any concerns at all call your DR. It is worth a phone call for peice of mind...I have called my DR. many times, he never seems to mind! Get better!
dlh

Old 01-31-2005, 03:12 PM   #6
(female)

footproblems HB User

I experienced the same thing -- both with my recent bunion surgery, and after my two C-sections. In my case, the "jerking" seemed to be worse when I was still taking pain meds (in both cases Percoset). Maybe because they help you to relax more??? If you are still on pain meds, maybe this is contributing to the problem.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:17 AM   #7
(female)

Louthedog HB User

Oh my gosh

I'm so glad i looked over all these posts..
my great toe on my surgical foot has done the same thing.. ;My big toe will curl up ;and wake me up with a mighty pain as well..
This was a great post!

Old 04-09-2005, 04:09 PM   #8
(female)

sharonssorefoot HB User

joll43,
Im confused??? You said you are 8 days post op???? Did you have the other foot done already?
Sharon

Old 04-09-2005, 04:31 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User

Helloooooooo - you have to read the date of the post - Lou brought the thread back to the top - it's old!

I'm SEVENTY-eight days post op, and sleep is the only thing I CAN do right.

Old 04-09-2005, 08:15 PM   #10
(female)

feetfirst HB User

Well.. glad the post was brought back up, because I have had the same thing happening! It is weird.. and hurts! Of course, I am also parnoid that I am harming the work that was done.

Old 04-11-2005, 08:09 AM   #11
(female)

sharonssorefoot HB User

GOD, thank you for clarifying! I thought I was losing my mind or that you decided to get the other foot done early. Man, have you read the one about the girl who was supposed to have double bunionectomy this Friday but got strep throat and postponed, then read these boards and decided maybe not to get both done. She said her Doc told her she would be able to walk right after surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so angry at that doc and told her she should see another doc. THAT IS TRUELY RIDICULOUS. I think it is under Double Bunioectomy thread.

I go to the dr. this Wednesday and have some questions for him. For Instance, why does it look like I have a bunion again right now???? Granted, only a small bump but still!!!!!! I think personally it is swelling and/or Im doing too much. I have been walking 4 miles 3-4 days a week. I also am concerned about my toe still leaning towards second toe and all this swelling!!!!! Ill let you know what he says.
Sharon

Old 04-11-2005, 01:23 PM   #12
(female)

Louthedog HB User

I think it is probably due to swelling.. I got my bandages off today. It looks good, but is swollen, and makes where the bump was look swollen.. I think this swelling goes on for about 6 months.. but not all that pain like we had before.

Old 04-11-2005, 03:05 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

joll43 HB User

4 MILES?!?! That would take me all day at this point. I still have pain in the top of my foot when I walk - I guess it's muscular? When I do too much, my ankle just balloons - I hate it! I'm seeing the doc on Thursday and can't wait to ask him more questions.

6 months? Swelling for 6 months? Not happy.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:16 AM   #14
(female)

sharonssorefoot HB User

Yeah, i think maybe 4 miles was pushing my foot too much but I am so trying to lose these 8ish lbs i gained. My foot and ankle still are swollen and I can't wait to go to doc tomorrow to find out about that and my toe moving back over.
Sharon

Old 04-12-2005, 01:21 PM   #15
(female)

Louthedog HB User

Sharon
Did you find out anything??

Closed Thread